Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

San Diego in Oct; recommendations?

We narrowed it down to Chula Vista RV resort or Santee Lakes. I know they are total opposites. I read a review that said Santee is not pet friendly. We have two small dogs. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #2

Have not been to Chula Vista, but Santee Lakes is pretty nice. We didn't stay there but drove down to check it out. It is in a residential neighborhood on one side, but located in a huge park with lakes and bike/walking paths. We saw a lot of people there with dogs, it seems like it would be a nice base camp to explore the area. Is Chula Vista on/close to the water, if so I would take that over Santee Lakes.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Have not been to Chula Vista, but Santee Lakes is pretty nice. We didn't stay there but drove down to check it out. It is in a residential neighborhood on one side, but located in a huge park with lakes and bike/walking paths. We saw a lot of people there with dogs, it seems like it would be a nice base camp to explore the area. Is Chula Vista on/close to the water, if so I would take that over Santee Lakes.
Yes, Chula Vista sits right on the bay.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Chula Vista/San Diego KOA. Large sites, lots of trees, grass and 2 K9 places for the puppies. Bike path near for 2 mile ride to the water and Marina.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

There are two RV resorts in Chula Vista, one is the one that you have mentioned which is on San Diego Bay, the other one is the San Diego Metro KOA, which is also in Chula Vista. The KOA is a couple of miles inland, but is in a park type setting with lots of trees and is a very nice KOA. Those 2, along with Santee Lakes are all very nice parks.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Stayed at Chula Vista RV resort last spring and have to agree with Ronnie, next time it will be the KOA. I'm not familiar with Santee, but we did swing into the KOA and liked it better than Chula Vista. Yes, it is on the bay, but the hook-ups are on the wrong side and end, so you have to back into the bayside sites. And there is only a small portion that are backasswards bayside sites anyway. Yes, they claim to be pet friendly, but the no pet signs posted everywhere made me feel like an unwelcome bother with my dog. They also have a couple designated pet-potty areas that were DISGUSTING! The green outdoor carpet in the pet potty area was something I didn't even want my dog walking on and smelled so strong of urine it was nauseating.
Sorry to say, but I will not be staying at Chula Vista RV Resort next time.
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a grandson that lives in San Diego. Over the years we have tried just about all of the RV parks in the area, and Santee Lakes is by far our favorite. It's a huge park with seven small lakes, nice walking and cycling trails. The park is kept spotless so, yes they do have stiff rules, but so does Chula Vista.

We have a dog and I don't find their pet policy over restrictive:

PETS:
Pets are welcome in the campground, but must be registered at the park office. There is a limit of two pets per campsite. All pets must be kept on a maximum six-foot leash and wear a valid license at all times. Pet cages and dog runs are prohibited. Vicious and/or noisy pets are not allowed. When leaving your campsite, your pet must accompany you or be confined inside your camping unit. Pets must not be left outside at night. Pets are not allowed in the day use Park or Cabins. Health laws prohibit pets from entering the pool area or going inside any building. Remember to clean up after your pet immediately.

The sites for coaches 40' and longer are very large, however they fill up fast and you might have trouble securing one in October depending on how long you intend to stay.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

We are currently at Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach. Excellent adult park. It is where I would recommend, but it is slated to close at the end of this month. Most of the people staying here are heading to Santee Lakes. Though we have been attending the excellent Calvary Chapel in Santee, we have yet to visit Santee Lakes. I'm not a KOA type but have heard great things about it also. As for Chula Vista RV . . . We've stayed there during the weekdays. Very pretty park, but the sites are tight. Be advised that the day use area outside the park is extremely popular with the locals this time of year. The last 2 Sunday afternoons I've biked through the area. Every grass area is occupied. Blaring music reminiscent of our favorite Mexican food restaurant. Not a word of English spoken. The RV park's sites that view the bay & Marina would have to contend with all that. My wife wants to go there from here. If we do, I will insist on a back-in site on the less desirable side along the roadway.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. I was lucky enough to get a spot (last one) at Santee Lakes right on the creek.