Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

San Francisco Area

Hi All,

Into our second month of full-timing...and really enjoying it.

Anyway...heading to the San Francisco area and wondered if anyone knows of a reasonably priced nice RV park.

Thanks
Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are in Candlestick RV park right now. Not reasonably priced but it's the only game in town.
Candlestick RV Park, San Francisco

Another place is San Francisco RV Resort | Park your RV on the Cliffs overlooking the Pacific Coastline
Three weeks ago a large number of their ocean front sites fell into the ocean so I don't know if they have any space available.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I stayed at the SF RV Resort twice in 2010. Sites are tight but you can walk to a supermarket, post office and a great fish and chips restuarant in Pacifica.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We stayed over in Novato. Good access to the ferry terminal, free parking, and a good park. Very convenient to the whole area.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today is day 284 for us but who is counting. When we stay in the bay area (we have outlaws in Hayward) we stay at Coyote Hills in Morgan Hill south of San Jose. It is not really convienent but it is a nice park to use as a base for seeing the area. You haven't lived until you have driven in Bay area rush hour traffic.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Have stayed at Tradewinds RV Park in Vallejo. It is a short drive to the Vallejo Ferry Terminal.

The ferry stops at Fisherman's Wharf, and another stop. Saves driving the toad in SF.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton (East Bay Area, near I580 x I680) is reasonable but still an hour drive into SF. Nothing is roomy nor cheap near SF.
gezrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bay Area

The closer you get to the city the fewer RV parks you'll find.

Beginning in San Juan Bautista just south of Gilroy.

Betabel RV Park - This is our favorite, even though we live only 30 minutes from it. Big open area for well behaved dogs to run leash free.

McAlpine Lake. More like a pond but appears to be OK.

The Garlic Farm. Looks OK

Gilroy Garlic USA RV Park. Looks OK

Oak Dell RV Park, Morgan Hill

UVAS Pines RV Park. Wooded area, pretty basic amenities.

Maple Leaf RV Park in Morgan Hill. Walking distance to several nice places to eat. (Super Taqueria makes the best carne azada.) One of the few remaining Sizzlers in the area is nearby. Drive downtown and you'll find lots of great places. Rosies By The Beach has a great seafood menu. The park itself is just OK but I really don't like staying there because the speed limit inside the park appears to be as fast as you wanna go in the eyes of some of the permanant residents. There are a large number of 'Park Model' trailers in this park.

Parkway Lakes RV Park, Morgan Hill. Never stayed there and probably wouldn't. But it appears to be full most of the time.

As previously mentioned there's Coyote Valley RV Resort south of SJ, and about 3 miles from our stick house. It's a brand new park. Fairly pricy I've heard, and rather picky about the appearance/age of your rig. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is within walking distance. When heading south on Monterrey Highway a U-Turn is required to get to it. (Note that this one is downwind from a gas fired power plant.)

There's plenty more in the bay area but I'm tired of typing. There are some north of here that you 'wouldn't want to be in'.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I stayed at Tradewinds in Vallejo as well. Although it is close to I80 and Vallejo may not be Napa, it works well for the area. I know there are a few state parks within 50 miles or so. One, or two in the Delta and another in NAPA Valley. Tradewinds may be the closest you can get.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #10

Can't wait to check out the Golden Gate Bridge!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Another option is to stay further out in Vacaville, there are two Good Sam RV parks right next to each other. A 25 mi. drive to the Vallejo Ferry which goes right into SF. We live in the area and always take the Ferry to SF, 1 hr. each way. A nice drive from Vacaville over the hill to Napa Valley, 35 mi. to Sacto. Also, if you are military retired, Travis AFB has a nice FAMCAMP.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

I'm from the SF Bay Area and anything near the south bay, Morgan Hill or Gilroy will be a good hour and 45 minute drive to SF without traffic. Novato is a very nice community, though I have never stayed at the RV park there. We have stayed at the KOA in Petaluma, we like it, but we have kids. They do tours into SF and the Napa valley. Very nice if you don't have a car or don't want to drive into the city or the Napa valley. Vallejo would not be at the top of my list for places to stay, IMHO. According to my in-laws, who live in Napa, because of budget restraints, they've cut back considerably on their police force, and it's not a great place to start with. I've never stayed at the campground in Pacifica, it looks like a parking lot on the ocean, but I've heard great reviews and the view is supposed to be spectacular. Also, I live right next to the Alameda Fairgrounds in Pleasanton and although I've never stayed there, Pleasanton is a very nice community and I believe the park has 24 hour security. I think it's a formality because it's a fairground, because Pleasanton is very safe. There is a BART station about a 10 minute drive away which will take you into the city. You can pretty much walk, take a cable car or taxi just about anywhere you want from the Powell Station. There's a cable car round about in front of you as you come out of the station. I love catching the cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf. There's another roundabout at Fisherman's wharf that will take you back to the Powell BART Station. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. If I were you I'd stay north of SF, Marin County, in either Novato or Petaluma, or south of SF in Pacifica.
lmsteck is offline   Reply With Quote