Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

SE Trip Planning

I am working on a trip for late spring/early summer for next year and I need some campground suggestions. We like the COE/National/State type parks the best, but with full hookups if possible. But we can deal with just electricity and water if the park is outstanding.

My plans right now are to head up to Memphis then over to Nashville area and I will need a stop somewhere in between Memphis and Nashville. We will stay at Defeated Creek just East of Nashville for one stop. We will then head over to the Knoxville area for seeing the Smoky Mountains. I have been at River Plantation, but would prefer something more like a COE park instead of a RV park. From there we will head over to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It is at this point that I have been unable to find a great spot. I figured I would stop 2 times between Knoxville and the Outer Banks. After that we will head to Charleston and I will need a stop halfway between Charleston and the Outer Banks. Then we will stop at Savannah and then at Jekyll Island before heading back home via I-10 with a stop at our favorite stop which is Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores.

Any and all suggestions is appreciated.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
paz

We use campgroundreviews.com to help us pick campgrounds. I recommend giving it a try.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
We use campgroundreviews.com to help us pick campgrounds. I recommend giving it a try.
I second that! A great resource for campgrounds. Another great reference is Trip Adviser.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #4

I use rvparkreviews on every trip, but I am having issues finding suitable campgrounds from the Knoxville area to the Outer Banks. I may have to get off of the suggested route to find something.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #5

Between Memphis and Nashville you might try Natchez Trace State Park it would be about half way.
They have 3 campgrounds, go to the one called RV Campground full hookups.
It is about 5 miles off the interstate but very nice.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
Between Memphis and Nashville you might try Natchez Trace State Park it would be about half way.
They have 3 campgrounds, go to the one called RV Campground full hookups.
It is about 5 miles off the interstate but very nice.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did not realize any of these campgrounds had full hookups. Per the Tennessee website it is called Pin Oak RV Campground. Is there more to do here that we would want to stay longer than an overnight stop.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Their is a nice COE campground on Lake Seminole just a few miles off of I-10 in N Florida called East Bank. Not full hookup but right on the lake. Take the Sneads or Chattahoochee exit
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

As to things to do around Pin Oak RV Campground, not a lot to spend much time close by. Shiloh Park if you are in to the Civil War is close. Two hours away in Memphis is Graceland. It is a very nice campground with some nice views of the lake, not a lot of shade if the weather is hot. Hope you have a good time if you come by, we just live about 30 minutes away.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

For the Outer Banks, we were just at Ocean Waves C/G Ocean Waves Campground
The photo on their web site is a little off what the place looks like. While it is a very short distance to the ocean from the C/G (walk over the dunes) the overall condion of the park in and around the RV's makes the place look like a slum area. Every thing from towels to underware is hanging out on awnings and on homemade clothes lines or laying on vehicles. Also a lot of fishing gear etc. just laying around. The plus side is the elect & water was good & the concrete pad was level. Lots of noise with people coming and going at all hours. The C/G sits low, so if it rains, and it did, the C/G turns into a mud hole. This is just our opinion, I'm sure others like it here because of the price.
That said, the Outer Banks is made up of small towns from SR-64 south. The north end of the island is more populated. Between the towns there is not much to see and do. The one restaurant we really liked was Ketch 55 in Avon, which is south of Wave. Loved their Shrimp and Grits, beware it is a bit spicy.
There are two c/g's just north of Ocean Waves and both are twice the price with no shade to be had in either. Ocean Wave had a few spots with shade.
A hint on using RV Park Reviews. Put the zip code in where you want to go and then search.
For Savannah we like this park http://www.hardeevillerv.com/home1024.htm It's a Passport America park, no real frills, but the water and elect. is good along with the Wi-Fi. We have been to this park several times and have always enjoyed our stay here. They do have a laundry but we have never used it. No pool here either. They just put in a very nice dog park if you travel with one. Sites are grass and or gravel and reasonably level.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

Jekyll Island or Skidaway Island State Park??

Being these are so close together which one would be the best to visit?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

RVPARKREVIEWS and ALLSTAYS.
Google the city where you want to stay CITYPLUSRVPARKS.
a lot of times there are good city and county parks listed!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rvparky.com

burfurd
Old 09-21-2014, 04:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Being these are so close together which one would be the best to visit?
We don't know Jekyll Island, but we're currently staying at Skidaway Island State Park. What a fantastic hidden treasure. Our site is full service and huge (70'). All the sites are well spaced with plenty of room and privacy. We'll definitely return here again!
MusicRocks is offline   Reply With Quote