Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were planning a AK. trip the summer of 16'. From Ohio I'm looking at 4200 miles to Fairbanks AK. I'm planning at least 3 weeks going up. Hope to start out around June 1st. Visit family in North Pole for a few weeks, then take a few weeks to go down to the Kenai, Denali and Valdez. Return to the Fairbanks area and head home the end of Aug.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Were planning a AK. trip the summer of 16'. From Ohio I'm looking at 4200 miles to Fairbanks AK. I'm planning at least 3 weeks going up. Hope to start out around June 1st. Visit family in North Pole for a few weeks, then take a few weeks to go down to the Kenai, Denali and Valdez. Return to the Fairbanks area and head home the end of Aug.

Give yourself as much time in state as possible, plus BC and the Yukon are very scenic. Stay at Cottonwood campground on Kluane Lake in the Yukon a few days if possible. Next time I go, I'm going to try to be in Tok by no later than the 3rd week of June and stay in StTe until mid Sept.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Last time I went through the states I was told prior to leaving what my costs per minute and roaming charges would be so when I hit Bellingham Wa I bought a Walmart Tracphone and paid for 30 days with unlimited talk and text and no long distance. The people at the elctronics desk at Walmart set up the account for me as a pay and go so no residence was required but I did stipulate I wanted a Buffalo NY number. I still have the phone and once I hit the states I can reactivate it with another 30 day card.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #18

I've driven from Spokane to Fairbanks in 48 driving hour over a three day period. Doing it that quick you don't get to see all the good things in Canada. Suggest a least 10 days to drive/sightsee to get to Alaska. Then you would need a month if you want to travel around Alaska. There is a lot to see and do up here.
tcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
You need a book called the milepost. It has every possible road or ferry to alaska with tons of info. One way is ferry to vancouver island drive to Port Hardy, B C ferry to Prince Rupert, then switch to alaska ferry to Haines. Two weeks is not much time for a R V TRIP. The Milepost is a necessity. Reservations are mandatory and if you want a cabin good luck this late. You can fly and rent something also?
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #20

Thanks all. I'm going go do Alaska another time when there is enough weeks to properly enjoy.

Good info and tips here that I will revisit. Thank you!
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
For this proposed trip I have two weeks to get from Seattle to wherever and then back. Sounds tight.
I would say a minimum of 4 - 6 weeks. That is why I'm waiting till 16' or 17' when I plan to retire. We fly up every few years to the North Pole / Fairbanks area to visit family. Here are a few pics from 08' and 13'

Alaska 2008

Alaska 2013
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I have crossed at Sumas twice now and have done two trips to Alaska and back. The driving time that I take is exactly 9 days from border to border.

I like to stay 2 nights at Prince George to catch up on wash and email plus rest. And possibly another 2 nights in Watson Lake depending on the circumstances.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The driving time that I take is exactly 9 days from border to border.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Remember, 9 days is just driving time - not enjoying the sights. There's SO MUCH to see along the way!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #24

With reference to cell service I encourage downloading the Viber app for your smartphone. As long as you have wi-fi you can talk to anyone in the world but they must also download the app too. It's really great. The app is free and talk and messaging is free as well. A bit spotty at times but my family swears by it. My Navy son was stationed on Guam for three years and we talked every day and texted endlessly!!
Stargazer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #25

Trip

I did the same trip but from AK to Seattle, was one of my best, down to Haines then to Skagway, then thru Stewart, down thru Williams lake, awesome trip !
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #26

I made my first trip last summer , 10 weeks from So Cal and I think you'll be disappointed if you go there with minimal time available . Not only is Canada/Alaska huge but there is so much to see and you want to see it all !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote