Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #1

Our family is in the process of planning another Disney (Fort Wilderness) trip from Michigan in April of 2009. We plan on leaving on a Friday evening after work (6:00 p.m.) and driving into lower Ohio or mid-Kentucky, depending on weather......and were wondering about sleeping overnight at a Wal-mart? We wouldn't be stopping until midnight or 1:00 a.m., and would be rising and getting on the road again by 8:00 a.m. or earlier. What worries us is security, since we'll have two motorhomes.....one pulling a trailer with a golf cart and two expensive bikes, the other with two expensive bikes loaded on the hitch. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with theft, vandalism, etc. while staying overnight at a Wal-mart or Flying J? We hate to pay even the $12.00 or so (passport america) for an overnight when we'll be there for such a short time....plus, we can't predict the weather at that time of year. We've driven in ice and snow storms at that time of year in the past. Any good Walmarts along the I-75 corridor in lower Ohio to mid Kentucky that any of you would recommend? Thank you in advance!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #2

Our family is in the process of planning another Disney (Fort Wilderness) trip from Michigan in April of 2009. We plan on leaving on a Friday evening after work (6:00 p.m.) and driving into lower Ohio or mid-Kentucky, depending on weather......and were wondering about sleeping overnight at a Wal-mart? We wouldn't be stopping until midnight or 1:00 a.m., and would be rising and getting on the road again by 8:00 a.m. or earlier. What worries us is security, since we'll have two motorhomes.....one pulling a trailer with a golf cart and two expensive bikes, the other with two expensive bikes loaded on the hitch. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with theft, vandalism, etc. while staying overnight at a Wal-mart or Flying J? We hate to pay even the $12.00 or so (passport america) for an overnight when we'll be there for such a short time....plus, we can't predict the weather at that time of year. We've driven in ice and snow storms at that time of year in the past. Any good Walmarts along the I-75 corridor in lower Ohio to mid Kentucky that any of you would recommend? Thank you in advance!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've stayed at several Wal*Marts, Cabela's, and a Flying J.

Never had a problem, but if I was concerned about the looks of an overnight spot, I'd move on.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never had a problem At any Wal-Marts and I use them every year on the way to FL. But I always ask the manager first where to park.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #5

I saw a flying j in knoxville tn or lexington ky I googled from detroit down to either one it would be 7 hrs to ky but then more than twelve to get to disney or nine to tn but that would get you there around 3 in the am........your pushing it getting in ft wilderness at nite is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! no lites...........need two full days to do it or break it up into two and a half......if your higher up than detroit its going to be more....I go from fort myers fl to white pidgeon mi it takes me all of 24 hours.....
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #6

Yes, we've driven to Florida from north of metro Detroit for years......and it takes about 23 hours, with lunch breaks, etc. We'll be taking our time and leaving Friday night after work, going as far as we feel like going - depending on weather - stopping for the night, continuing Saturday morning and driving to the GA/FLA border for our 2nd night. That leaves about 4 hours for Sunday, and puts us in Fort Wilderness at a nice time of day. Back in our YOUNGER years, we drove straight through......but no more!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #7

Previously stated and a good rule to abide. If it doesn't feel good move. Trust your senses. You won't get a good rest unless you do.

Ariving at FORT WILDERNESS in the wee hours is easy. Turn into the waiting/extra trailer/vehicle
parking lot. This is located just east of the Main FW Entrance. It is a short walk to the registration office. You can have everything done before the morning rush.
You will recieve your parking permits which allow you to stay in the well lighted lot till the time you where given to check with the office or enter the campground
and set-up.
Check in time is 1:PM . Many guests are given a site much ealier, depends on the date.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MMouser:

Ariving at FORT WILDERNESS in the wee hours is easy. Turn into the waiting/extra trailer/vehicle
parking lot. This is located just east of the Main FW Entrance. It is a short walk to the registration office. You can have everything done before the morning rush.
You will recieve your parking permits which allow you to stay in the well lighted lot till the time you where given to check with the office or enter the campground
and set-up.
Check in time is 1:PM . Many guests are given a site much ealier, depends on the date. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmouser,
Thanks for the excellent tip about beating the rush. We will be there early Oct and heard that things can get pretty hectic.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Sewbzzzy,

I noticed you said you were going to make your second stop near the GA/FL border. There is a supercenter Wal-Mart and Sams Club next to each other between Exit 16 and Exit 18 in Valdosta, Ga. I have seen many RV's and big trucks stopped here for the night. It is well lighted between the 2 stores. I live here in Valdosta and have never heard of any problems at these locations. Hope this will help you out. Have fun in at Disney. We are going to make it to Fort Wilderness some day. I have 1 year boy, so I believe we will wait a few yers first. Happy Trails. Larry
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #10

You might want to consider staying at Sam's Clubs. They tend to have better night security.

FYI. On I-75 ... The Wal-Mart in Perry GA is listed as "no parking". But they do allow overnight parking up towards the Sonny's BBQ (end of the parking lot closest to the Highway). At night, it's full of semi trucks & RVs. The "local" truckstops all fill up pretty early down there. Also Exit 101 Cordele GA Wal-Mart allows overnight parking as well. That's still a good ways from the state line but never know.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote