Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Sedona Az

Looking to hear thoughts on going to Sedona Az. in a few weeks. Looking at the google map there's one hell of a hair pin turns, 3 to be exact North of the city. Looks like it might be something to avoid by the map. I'll be in my 37' Itasca with a toad. Has anyone drove this before in their motorhome? Thanks for the help.

Caseysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseysplace View Post
Looking to hear thoughts on going to Sedona Az. in a few weeks.
Hi Casey,

Hopefully, the Slide Fire won't have any adverse effect on your travel plans. 25% contained this morning.

Here's an update from this morning: InciWeb the Incident Information System: Slide Fire News Release

I believe there are significant air quality issues currently.

Take care,
Stu

Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Was just up there 4 wheeling. the smoke is not an issue since Sunday morning. Sat. it was fairly heavy.
Hwy 89a will keep you busy, a buddy just did it a couple weeks ago with a 60 foot combo....Jerome and all. if you're a skilled driver, no problem. If not, back tack to I-17 and above all, enjoy!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Was just up there 4 wheeling.

Hwy 89a will keep you busy, a buddy just did it a couple weeks ago with a 60 foot combo....Jerome and all. if you're a skilled driver, no problem. If not, back tack to I-17 and above all, enjoy!
Hi Casey,

I'll certainly defer to Don, who has much greater local experience than I. However, the Mountain Directory (Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers) contains this warning: "Truckers Notice - US 89 A not recommended for heavy trucks."

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

Thanks so much Driver and dondee. I think I will find an alternate route thought it seems like I will be going out of the way, especially since after Sedona the next stop is the Grand Canyon....
Casey
Caseysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

Hwy 89A is a beautiful drive down thru the canyon but I wouldn't recommend it with a RV and a toad. I didn't drive it with an RV but in a SUV and there are a couple switchbacks that could be a challenge. It might be better to go further south on I-17 and take Hwy 179 at exit 298 back north to Sedona and take your toad up the canyon for the sight seeing.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Didn't know how crooked that road was a few years back. We had come through Sedona to check on some property a friend of ours had bought and wanted to head to Flagstaff. I guess too lazy or tired to return to 17 (that the interstate # ?) MsC plotted a course and off we went. No place to turn around but we hit some switchbacks that were 'memorable' to say the least. Thank goodness we were not towing and the coach was no longer than 36 feet
Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #8

I did the 89-A in a 36' with a toad in 2012. Never had a problem but when I went back in 2013 I took the longer route 17. That might tell you something. 89-A north of Sedona has some tight switchbacks. You will be busy driving probably miss the scenery. Very scenic drive in the toad.

Now if your in Sedona make sure to go see Jerome. Now I never took took the RV thru there. I guess one could?? Several switchbacks right in the town. Now that's a real scenic area & town. Steep grades right in town.

Russell
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #9

For visiting Sedona & Jerome we enjoy staying at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. It's a short, scenic drive to Sedona which is very hectic. For the Grand Canyon, it's best to stay IN the park at Trailer Village. The free shuttle stops at the campground and you can ride all day long getting on & off whenever. Trying to drive at the Canyon isn't a good experience - lots of cars. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
For visiting Sedona & Jerome we enjoy staying at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. It's a short, scenic drive to Sedona which is very hectic. For the Grand Canyon, it's best to stay IN the park at Trailer Village. The free shuttle stops at the campground and you can ride all day long getting on & off whenever. Trying to drive at the Canyon isn't a good experience - lots of cars. Have a good trip!
Plus there's Hog Wild BBQ near the ent. to DHRSP!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

We drove 89A From Flagstaff to Sedona a week ago in a 40' with no toad. Very steep and lots of traffic on a Sunday afternoon. If you are in a gasser with no exhaust or jake brake I would do I17. You will not have time to enjoy the scenery and it's not worth burning up your brakes. We have a transmission retarder and believe me it was used heavily as there are several 15 MPH hairpin curves on the way down. At times you will have no more than a few inches between you and the guardrail. I'm surprised we didn't scrape a bay door. We stayed the night outside Camp Verde and the woman said "You came down 89A in that?" Need I say more.

From Flagstaff take I17 to Sedona, unhook and drive back up in your car...a lot more time to look around and enjoy the ride. Hope this helps.

Bruce and Teresa

ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote