RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Sedona AZ: Overnight Parking the RV

Hi All ... I'm taking the family on an epic (I hope) Spring Break trip. We're hitting some national parks and other spot around the southwest. You can check out the full itinerary here (I love this RV Parky app, by the way): https://www.rvparky.com/trip/5717575018741760

QUESTION: In Sedona we rented an AirBnB and so I need somewhere to park the RV for three nights. Anyone have any suggestions? I found a city map where they list two locations for RV/Bus parking but only one appears to be OK for overnight parking. I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Why the AirBnB? Well two reasons: 1) Rancho Sedona RV Park was booked up, and 2) my wife will be happy to get out of the RV for a few days

agershon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You might try and call Rancho Sedona and ask about overnight parking, I recall they had a dirt lot near the entrance for overflow parking, unhooking toads etc. One morning we saw several RV's parked there.

Good luck.

rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #3

Hope you find your answer but beware of parking just anywhere in Sedona. You might want to call the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor's Bureau.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #4

Off topic but I’ll wave at you on our way out of Wahweap and Sedona. We are taking a similar trip during the same week, just ahead of you . We did Zion last year and stayed at the same campground. Loved it. We walked to the park from there and took the tram, also drove the toad to Bryce. Since we are skipping that this year, we are leaving Page as you are coming in, then off to Flagstaff and Sedona. Enjoy your trip. The weather is looking good.
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

I sometimes see them parked on Jordan Road and on Forest Road. I don't know whether legal or not. There are spaces lined for RVs just inside the Hyatt parking lot just off of Forest. Again I don't know if there are rules there for overnight. If you are an Elks member that club has spaces with water and electric.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I sometimes see them parked on Jordan Road and on Forest Road. I don't know whether legal or not. There are spaces lined for RVs just inside the Hyatt parking lot just off of Forest. Again I don't know if there are rules there for overnight. If you are an Elks member that club has spaces with water and electric.
Thanks Shell. Jordan and Forest are the two small lots that are indicated on the city map for bus/RV parking but it's unclear whether overnight is OK. I'll be calling the visitors center as suggested above.

And Rancho Sedona just said no to the overflow parking.

Thanks all!
Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Just got off phone with Chamber of Commerce. They said I should park it in a lot 6mi south of town—take 89a down to Forest Road 525. Not ideal but it may have to do.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Just a thought, but what about calling a few churches? Their parking lots are empty except for one day a week.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Just a thought, but what about calling a few churches? Their parking lots are empty except for one day a week.
Truthfully, I don't think Sedona would want to start the practice of allowing RVs parked in public lots. You could go to nearby Cottonwood and park at WalMart!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #10

Lots of Boon dockers West of Sedona, N of hwy 89A
Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Locally all three local Elks clubs have a couple or three RV spots.

This web page may be of interest:
< https://www.elks.org/lodges/localFacilities.cfm >

Might be worth looking up your state and city...
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Truthfully, I don't think Sedona would want to start the practice of allowing RVs parked in public lots. You could go to nearby Cottonwood and park at WalMart!

I didn’t suggest anything about “Sedona” as a entity or a “public lot”

Probably a long shot to get a church to allow, but never know. A little donation?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Lots of Boon dockers West of Sedona, N of hwy 89A
Can you be more specific? Your description generally describes where the visitors center guy told me to park. But if you know if any specific locations that would be helpful. Thanks!

EDIT: Well, upon further inspection this is a very well-known boondocking road: https://www.campendium.com/forest-road-525c
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #14

To begin with, Walmart in Cottonwood is definitely out of bounds. A while back there was an issue with panhandlers over nighting in the parking lot that deteriorated into serious violence. Since then NO WALMART LOT PARKING except to shop, and it's STRICTLY enforced. There is a lot of Prescott National Forest land south of Cottonwood along both sides of Rt 260 especially in the area of East Thousand Trails Rd. There are also National Forest lands west of 89A between Sedona and Cottonwood. Unfortunately, all these areas have little or no security so you're taking a big chance, whatever you do. Good luck, but be very careful what you choose to do. A large number of homeless in these areas that may be tempted to pick up some things that are not theirs, be it behind a locked door or not.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote