Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
seeing snow in north carolina need advice

I am looking to spend a week in north carolina or north georgia right after christmas. My children want to see snow but I am hesitant about wanting to drive the Gas Motor home through the mountains. I need advice on driving in snow but more realistically i need a campground at lower altitude with close proximity to the mountains and I will use my jeep to travel. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Salt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Snow is never a for sure in NC but here is my suggestion. If roads are clear, get to the Cherokee NC KOA. A little pricey but they are open year around and good for kids. You are 25 miles from Maggie Valley and you could take the toad and go to Cataloochie ski area at Maggie Valley. Even if it has not snowed they make snow there as long as it is cold enough. Tubing in the area also. There is a KOA (Asheville West) and the roads to get to it are less hilly if driving is a problem. There are some more ski areas up toward Boone, but the driving gets a little iffy. hope this helps, mark

08 Dutch Star 4354, 2017 Wrangler JKU w/rv brake2, blue ox tow bars, Rockhard front bumper with tow fittings.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
thank you
Salt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Are you coming from the South somewhere? What direction or roads? Is North Carolina or North Georgia sure things or were they just places you thought you would see snow?

Many good choices in West Virginia and other states. We drive in snow all the time in the winter going to and from ski areas. We do have a pusher, but if you stick to the main roads you shouldn't have any trouble.

Maybe taking the kids snow skiing would be a good pick for you. All of the ski areas offer lessens and it is a lot of fun and safe. We had our 5 year old granddaughter on skis and now at 11 years old she is beating me down the slopes!

Picture is at Canaan Valley State Resort Park about 10 years ago. This snow fell overnight but in two days the roads were clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ski Caanan 2005 045.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	111568  
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ice or snow?

Last March in Fort Bragg area Mar 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice in NC March 15.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	111678  
US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this.. Upstate SC. Town called SENECA.. Look for Oconee County Parks,,, Destination South Cove.. Odds are you will be able to use water there in a motor home (I did freeze once but it was late JAN not Dec).

You are only about half an hour from some serious altitude and then you should be seeing SNOW,, from the park go to end of road, turn left, turn right at the light and it goes UP fast.

Baring high wind Motor homes tend to do fairly well on snow. epically if you have something like 22.5 inch Mitchlin XRVs.. they are decent "All Weather" tires .. Just slow down a bit, and as I said avoid high wind. Also Seneca is only 9 miles from Clemson and Clemson does a decent Christmas celebration including caroling and street displays. (Never managed to get there).

Alas. I will NOT be there this year... I'm stuck where I'm at immobile due to mechinical issues..

But if you got there say HI to Fred and Betty for me (Camp hosts, I hope) should be parked near the facilities.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Have been traveling to Sugar Mt and Beach MT in Boone NC for years staying at Grandfarther Campground open year round. Can check the snow conditions on the live Web cams at both Mountain sites.

2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus LP45

cgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote