Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Seeking info on Banff and surrounding areas

will head to banff np in a week. could you please share your experience on what to see and where to stay? no time restraints as only worth seeing. tia.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #2

Take the gondola ride incredible views. Check out the natural hot springs. Take a tour of the banff springs hotel. Spend a day checking out the shops and walking Main Street. Don't feed the Bears !!!
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
Community Moderator

thanks. where to park the rv? either fee or non-fee.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Banff is in a National Park and I thing the only place to stay is Tunnel Mountain. Better check on availability. Yes do the Gondola we almost didn't because of the cost but it was the best part of our trip. Also lake Louise is great place to see. You better check for space before leaving looks like very few or none available for early next month. It is very popular and under construction.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #5

seeking info on banff and surrounding areas

It's all fee plus you have to pay for a park pass. I've never camped in the park so no help there. Sorry
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyKathyM View Post
Banff is in a National Park and I thing the only place to stay is Tunnel Mountain. Better check on availability. Yes do the Gondola we almost didn't because of the cost but it was the best part of our trip. Also lake Louise is great place to see. You better check for space before leaving looks like very few or none available for early next month. It is very popular and under construction.
awesome info... gondola is marked in my notebook now...and the lake louise. of course i will spend time in the town as recommended by doorfx... i will check the parking availability now. what happens if space is not available, any alternatives? or can i park at somearea for overnights?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #7

Definitely continue driving up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. It's completey different from Banff - a low-key town. We always stayed in the park's campgrounds. Lots of good hiking trails. Have a good trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Definitely continue driving up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. It's completey different from Banff - a low-key town. We always stayed in the park's campgrounds. Lots of good hiking trails. Have a good trip.
cool, this can be plan b.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is lots to see in Banff and Jasper National parks.
Don't forget the other parks like YoHo National Park.
Here is a link to all National Parks in Canada.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/progs/pn-np/index.aspx

2010 Coachmen Freelander 30qb
Ford E450 V10
Old 08-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #10

Just got back from Banff and Jasper. Banff camping is Tunnel Mountain or Trailer Park Village. We stayed at Tunnel Mountain and would NOT do it again. We called it a glorified WalMart parking lot. If you can, the Trailer Park Village is the way to go (space and full hook-ups). Banff is extremely busy. Especially on weekends. Calgary folks head up on weekends as its only 1 1/2 hours travel.
Definetly stop at Lake Louis. Get there before 9 a.m.. After that parking lots fill up! It is a pain.
Jasper is much more relaxed. Gondola, plenty of small hikes around local lakes, and road to Mt Edith Cavell.
Definetly stop at Icefields Center on Icefields Parkway. You can walk up to Athabasca Glacier (or bus ride on it) and view other glaciers. Bring warm clothing! The skywalk is there too. The Ice Center itself is extremely busy! Reminded us of a airport. They were just finishing up paving a good portion of the highway when we were there.
Hope this helps.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Lake Louise is a must see. I have been a rough and tumble guy most of my life not move by a lot. My wife wanted me to see it. I was moved like walking in to the biggest church ever I don't know what about it gave me that impression it just did.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #12

Heading from Banff to the Lake Louise area (in your toad) take 1A which is parallel to Hiway 1. Go slowly, stop a lot, see the sights and wildlife along the way. Bring a lunch and stop along the river for your meal. Incredibly beautiful up there.

Definitely go to the Ice-fields. Park at the lodge and get your tickets for the bus trip onto the glacier. You take a normal bus to a transfer lot where you board the ice-fields bus and drive onto the glacier. You then get out for about a 20-30 minute walk on the glacier.

A little farther north on the Icefields Parkway is the glacier skywalk. Definitely worth the stop.

We did a day trip from Banff to the skywalk, taking 1A, Lake Louise mountain ski lift, Lake Louise, Ice fields, Skywalk and back. Quite a day.

Watch for Elk in the Banff National Park campground!
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We found the trip to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Glacier NP, Icefield Parkway to be just Magical from beginning to end. You just cannot miss. All those old Park Lodges are amazing to see. You will thoroughly enjoy the views, and the wildlife

We went last summer,the campgrounds are nothing special, they are adequate, they are heavily used. The campgrounds probably will not be a big part of your memories.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Thank you all for your wealth of info. Wife and I have made up our minds per your suggestions - will go Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Glacier NP, Icefield and Yoho. We are going to take the viewing slow, probably 10 - 14 days. I assume in most days we can stay in Trailer Park Village. Is it convenient to go all of those places from there and back there on daily basis? Or are there other parking places that we can use, so we can stay in Trailer Park Village for X days for AAA, then at another site for Y days for BBB, and another for Z days for CCC? (AAA, BBB and CCC are referring to one or more scenes as mentioned above).

Thank you again!!