Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Seeking suggestions for travel route/destinations after Yellowstone

A few facts: We are newly retired on our first big trip our only self imposed deadline is that we would like to back in Titusville Fl in October or November. We are traveling with a 40' MH and toad. We are spending time with family near Cleveland Ohio till June 15 then heading West with intentions of spending a week in the Badlands area (no reservations yet) then on to Colter Bay and Grizzly Rv Park where we have reservations to enjoy YNP and Grand Tetons with departure on July 15.

I'm undecided where to go from there.
We are thinking about going on to Oregon and enjoy a slow drive southbound on 101 then work our way slowly south and east. I've read warnings that reservations are a must for this drive and I'm probably too late already. The idea or adhering to a reservation schedule while driving 101 doesn't really appeal.
Or should we just work south into CO from YNP and not go any farther West?

I'd like to hear suggestions from the seasoned veterans out there on routes, reservations, NP, any cautions and other attractions you would consider.

ChattaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We travel with no reservations most times. We only make reservations in VERY high volume locals and times of year. A few times we didn't get a spot and would be in overflow or very rarely in a parking lot. We like the freedom of no set dates.
We are going to Alaska this summer, not our 1st time, and only have reservations at Denali National Park.
Wing it, it's fun.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

If you'll be in Rapid City SD area (Badlands), you might want to look into Hart Ranch RV park. Great accommodations. From there I-90 to Montana. Great stops in Red Lodge and Bozeman. Then Hwy 191 down past Big Sky to West Yellowstone.
We love Colorado especially the area near Durango.

Good luck with your plans, and Happy Trails!!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Obviously a lot of options, and certainly most of the Western states have more than share of interesting locations. If you have not seen much of the Rocky Mountain States, however, I would suggest sticking around Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Utah. You could even sneak down to Grand Canyon.

One suggestion is whatever time you have at Grizzly RV, spend it in Yellowstone. While only about 90 miles from there to the center of Grand Teton, it will typically be 3-4 hours to drive it, especially in the summer. Then move south to Grand Teton. Recommend Colter Bay if you need/want full hookup (reservations strongly suggested) or Gros Ventre for electric only (first come, first serve).
Ron & Mary
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4002
2014 Honda CR-V
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
If when done at YNP, you could go north to Glacier, or you could go west to Idaho to Craters of the Moon , further west to Washington to see Boeing plant and south to Oregon and see the spruce goose at McMinvillle and further south to visit the mighty 5 in Utah, and on and on. We did that and more on our last trip with no reservations anywhere. I will never travel with reservations as it limits what you can do and when. Its suppose to be enjoyable and having to follow a strict timeline to my way of thinking ruins it. Just go and enjoy your trip.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Appalachian Campers
Suggest you take a look at the Chief Joseph Hiway and The Bear Tooth area. You can base out of Red Lodge. Spend a couple of days exploring the area for some of the most beautiful mountains in the Rocky Mountain chain. Not a good idea to take the MH up through there but you will be fine with the toad.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi ChattaBob,
I'm for:
1. Craters of the Moon in Idaho
2. Glacier NP in Montana
3. Over to Mt. St. Helens NVM
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
I second Doc's recommendation but I also suggest you exit out of east Yellowstone and go to Cody Wyoming. Stay at Ponderosa RV Park, walk to the Cody Museum and access the 2 scenic highways from Cody. I always regretted not going to Glacier NP in Montana. Maybe someday.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
Oh definitely Glacier. We really enjoy western Montana into Idaho, then Wash. State. Mt. St. Helens is interesting as is Mt. Ranier, then on to the coast. The Oregon coastline is spectacular, then maybe over to Crater Lake and down to Yosemite. There's soooo much to see and usually so little time. Maybe do what we did, and plan on spending the winter out west this year to give you more time to see things. We split our winter between San Diego and Mesa, AZ. one year to give us the time we needed to do all we wanted to do out west.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
ChattaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
X2 for Cody to visit https://centerofthewest.org/

Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I second Doc's recommendation but I also suggest you exit out of east Yellowstone and go to Cody Wyoming. Stay at Ponderosa RV Park, walk to the Cody Museum and access the 2 scenic highways from Cody. I always regretted not going to Glacier NP in Montana. Maybe someday.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seeking suggestions for travel route/destinations after Yellowstone

Bob, you've got he right idea on time-- 4 - 5 months should be good for what you're looking at. And your initial route will be very similar to our first escape route when we started fulltiming four years ago. We went across country Boston to Seattle pretty much on the I-90 corridor. Visited several nice small towns along the way, saw the Corn Palace, the Badlands, Rushmore, and a bunch more.

I would say do YNP, Glacier (don't miss Glacier), continue to Puget Sound and the Olympic Peninsula, then loop down into Oregon, up the Columbia River Gorge, work down over the Oregon Trail (check Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls, ID) to Salt Lake City (best Mexican food ever at the Red Iguana) then do a couple of the NP in southern Utah and work your way back east through Colorado either on I-70 ( possibly the most marvelously scenic highway in North America) or take Rt 160 across the southern part of the state, topped off with the pleasure of Wolf Creek Pass. Down into northern NM and across the US southern tier through TX, the gulf coast, and to Florida. Nice trip, and you can relax all winter!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 AM   #13
Hi Bob,

I think if you have the time Oregon has some great spots. If you're an airplane fan, check out McMinnville, oregon, as noted above. The spruce goose is there and an SR71 you can touch and see the modules that go into the plane. Coos Bay oregon is a beautiful area, too. Many rv parks right on the ocean.

Lots of areas in California, of course.

Good travels,
Winnebago 32k Vista
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just love western Montana. Lots of mountains, lots of rivers, nice campgrounds. Head to Bozeman from YNP. Visit the Museum of the Rockies. Look for gold mining ghost towns. Fish the Madison or Gallatin Rivers. Head toward Missoula, then go to Glacier. You've got a good 2-3 weeks to get to Glacier, then spend a week there.

2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote