Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Segmenting RV trip across U.S?

As I am not retired, sometimes it is harder to see all I want to see or travel in the RV as much as I would like.

My September plan is to drive from Houston to one of my favorite destinations, Silverton CO via Santa Fe NM. Then I thought I would drive further south and west (and lower altitude) and leave the RV in Flagstaff, or thereabouts and fly home. About a month or so later, fly back and visit Grand Canyon and then off to Vegas, where I would leave the RV again until about December where I would pick it up again and head to LA to take in Disneyland and hopefully go to to the Rose Parade. Later pick up the RV again in about March and head to Palm Springs, etc, etc.

Any good thoughts of routing, places to stay/store the RV? Anyone else do this before?
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #2

This sounds like a terrific idea if flying and storage fit into your budget.

For your first stop you might consider storing in the Phoenix area as it will be easier to fly out of there rather than Flagstaff. For your next stop, Las Vegas in December you should consider winterizing it.

For Silverton this park is very popular. Silverton is a favorite of ours, also, but we normally boondock along Silver Creek.

http://www.silversummitrvpark.com/rv-park-faqs.html

Good luck with your plans. It sounds like a good one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I think your plan makes tons of sense. I did this one time, leaving the coach in Denver and flying home, then flying back to resume the trip. It worked out great.

To store the RV I posted on an online forum like this one, asking for suggestions and someone gave me the name off a storage lot that worked out perfectly. Another thought is to call RV parks or RV dealers in the area where you want to leave your RV, and ask them for suggestions.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Flying out of Flagstaff might not be easy. It is a small town. Phx might make more sense. Lots of storage options as well.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas. I have rented jeeps at silver summit once Triangle stopped renting them. I used to dry camp along the animas just a mile or two north of Silverton. Last few times I stayed at a&b RV park - small, friendly and centrally located in the center of town. Phoenix might be a bit too far out of the way, but I see the points made. I'll hit everyone up here for storage options as suggested. Thanks!
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote