Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Senior Summer Destination in Southwest

We are looking for a place in the southwest to go in the summer to escape the heat, crowds and enjoy the great outdoors. We like to hike, kayak, explore, utv, shoot sporting clays all in moderation and just grow older in cool comfort. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was writing this and then looked and you are in Arizona----do you mean southwest?

The higher elevations Northern Arizona (Flagstaff, Sedona) would be dry and certainly cooler than Phoenix or Tucson (which has a world class skeet and trap set up---but it will be 100 degrees in the summer). Same is true in New Mexico, higher elevations North (Cimmarron, Angel Fire, Farmington, Raton) in these states, less populated. Very outdoorsy these places---less populated than the southern parts of the states. But they are popular in the summer for all your reasons for wanting to be there.

There are nice places in San Diego on the coast as a matter of fact along the California Coast---but it's tough to beat the crowds there. I cannot reccomend RV facilities altough I have been to the places a lot---havn't RV'd there. Morro Bay south to San Diego---take your pick. Hot inland but cool on the coast---not so humid.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I was writing this and then looked and you are in Arizona----do you mean southwest?

The higher elevations Northern Arizona (Flagstaff, Sedona) would be dry and certainly cooler than Phoenix or Tucson (which has a world class skeet and trap set up---but it will be 100 degrees in the summer). Same is true in New Mexico, higher elevations North (Cimmarron, Angel Fire, Farmington, Raton) in these states, less populated. Very outdoorsy these places---less populated than the southern parts of the states. But they are popular in the summer for all your reasons for wanting to be there.

There are nice places in San Diego on the coast as a matter of fact along the California Coast---but it's tough to beat the crowds there. I cannot reccomend RV facilities altough I have been to the places a lot---havn't RV'd there. Morro Bay south to San Diego---take your pick. Hot inland but cool on the coast---not so humid.
Thanks for your reply. We have spent the last 50+ years living and RVing in California N & S, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Oregon and Washington extensivly but always in the main stream places. We are always looking for utopia, that out of the way place no one has found yet. I honestly don't think there is a road in California or Arizona that we have not traveled and a million wonderful places to RV but seldom without crowds, so we rule that out. Cimmarron, Angel Fire, Farmington, Raton are worth another look and Ruidoso and Cloudcroft are very nice. We are kind of worn out on the local Arizona White mountains but do like the Show Low area best. I guess we are just jaded having spent the better part of our life on the left coast. But at our age Southern AZ is just to hot for the next three months so off we go looking for that magic place, maybe Colorado still holds some secrets!

If you want to see what man made go East, if you want to see what God made go West!