Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park

Hello Travelers,

My husband and I are planning to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. We have a 45' motor home and we tow our Jeep. I am having trouble finding RV parks or campgrounds for us in this area. There are several that are not big rig friendly.

I have a few questions:

1) Do you have any information about places to stay that would give us access to these parks?

2)I found one possibility in Badger, Sequoia Resort, however they cautioned us that the road to get there, highway 245, is VERY difficult for a large RV. We will definitely go over the center line. Does anyone have experience doing this?

3) What are the must see places in these parks? We love to hike, see wildlife and drive on scenic routes.

Thanks in advance.
Leslie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Three Rivers

You might find some parks in the Three Rivers area that will handle your rig. It is on the south end of Sequoia.

Three Rivers, CA Campground Reviews - Best of Three Rivers Camping - RV Park Reviews

Good Luck, great parks and lots of hiking to do. We camp down in Kings Canyon but there is no way you will get down in that canyon.

Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for the info.

Safe travels,
Leslie
Old 05-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

It is a beautiful area but the roads we took were mostly not big rig friendly. We did both parks a few years ago, camped at Lake Isabella, then continued into the two parks with a 17' TT. We took 178 in from the west which follows the Kern River and is very windy. My suggestion would be 178 from the east, camp at Lake Isabella, and use a toad to explore.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I could be wrong but I think I herd that Lake Isabella is almost dry. When you visit California, bring all your own water with you. The Gov said that we are in a 1000 year drought. Really, enjoy the trip but the areas are dry.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello Travelers,

My husband and I are planning to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. We have a 45' motor home and we tow our Jeep. I am having trouble finding RV parks or campgrounds for us in this area. There are several that are not big rig friendly.

I have a few questions:

1) Do you have any information about places to stay that would give us access to these parks?

2)I found one possibility in Badger, Sequoia Resort, however they cautioned us that the road to get there, highway 245, is VERY difficult for a large RV. We will definitely go over the center line. Does anyone have experience doing this?

3) What are the must see places in these parks? We love to hike, see wildlife and drive on scenic routes.

Thanks in advance.

Leslie

CA has a 63' limit and you are close if not over that. You would be better to stay down the hill and make day trips up. Taking a rig of that size up twisty narrow mountain roads is irresponsible and may be illegal, mountain roads are classified limiting rig length. Crossing over the median on a mountain road is irresponsible and you might get to meet a not so friendly CHP officer who will ticket you and turn you around or even call for a tow if you are blocking the road or if he considers you to be unsafe. Crossing over the yellow line might also get you dead. If there are no campsites that might serve as a good clue you shouldn't be there.

45' rigs can only travel on specific roads in California. Twisty narrow mountain roads are not among them.

As to an area to stay try the Lemon Cove area. What to see, trees, big trees, really big trees. Hungry bears, really hungry bears.

If traveling on mountain roads, and it can snow 12 months a year you must have chains, even for the jeep. They must also be the correct size.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
....We have a 45' motor home and we tow our Jeep
Stay at the bottom of the hill and use the Jeep. You can get a room at the lodge in Sequoia, or actually tent camp!

Besides the fact that you will very likely kill someone, (and yourselves in the process), get ticketed, and/or forcefully towed at great expense when you will inevitably block the road, the elevation changes are extreme, ( from 1,370 feet to 14,494 feet).

Several times between 2004 and 2008 I towed a 14' Fleetwood/Coleman PopUp, behind my Dodge Durango into the park. And that was an exciting, (but doable), trek with the switchback turns!

On one of those occasions, I was following a motorhome without a toad, (a much shorter gasser going slow). I cringed as he scraped the gelcote and storage bay doors on several large redwoods and rocks, and continued into the park.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Hello Travelers,

My husband and I are planning to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks this. We have a 45' motor home and we tow our Jeep. I am having trouble finding RV parks or campgrounds for us in this area. There are several that are not big rig friendly.

I have a few questions:

Thanks in advance.
Leslie
My wife and I have a trip planned to Sequoia and Kings Canyon and we are parking the MH in Visalia and will have about an hour trip to the entrance. This is well worth it to us. We'll make two separate day trips, one entering from the south (198) and another from the north (180).
Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Coming in from the west end you would be able to get into Three Rivers RV Park. It's just about a mile to the Sequoia entrance. Woodsy, little stream going thru the park. nice and WIFI ! It actually works ! and Cable.

As for Lake Isabella, yes, they are draining it for repairs. but that east side entrance you have (if there is still water) white water rapids. Fishing, and woodsy area for hiking. We have stayed at Rivernook RV park. Once again, plenty of room to park, even dry camping right on the river's edge. About 3 miles to that entrance to Sequoia. The city of Kern is the entrance to the area. Plenty of fuel, store, propane, and other stuff available.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #10

Kern also has the upper and lower Kern Rivers. Probably not much going on there. You can check flows online. The Kern River also has another name the Killer Kern. From 10 to 15 people will drown in it each year. Stay out, stay safe.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

One of our favorite hikes there is the Tharp's Log trail from Crescent Meadow to the General Sherman tree. The last time we did it, we saw more deep than people, except for tha last 10 minutes or so.

Along the way, we literally met a bear. We were on the trail going north while he was on the trail headed south. We stopped walking, but after a brief pause to look us over, he kept walking. At about 20 ft. from us, he stepped off of the trail, circled around us, got back on the trail, and continued on his way.

One of the nice things about hiking there, is that the shuttle system means that you are not stuck either back tracking of sticking to loop trails.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national