Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sequoia National Park advice

We are in Reno NV ATM and have had our plans changed by the fires and MH repairs. We would like to see Yosemite NP and Sequoia NP but have not found any roads that go into Sequoia from the East. Our typical travel is to park the MH and drive the toad sightseeing. We have no desire to go across the mountains to the west side due to all the traffic on I5. If it is not possible to see these parks without going west first let me know so I can make other plans. Thanks in advance.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is no road into Sequoia from the east. Take 395 south to 120 west which goes right through Yosemite NP. Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP's are just south of Yosemite.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
There is no road into Sequoia from the east. Take 395 south to 120 west which goes right through Yosemite NP. Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP's are just south of Yosemite.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard, can I drive these parks from a base near 120 and 395? I am open to almost anything except going west with the mh.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Go south on the 395 from Reno, you will be on the eastern side of the Sierras and can stay in several places near the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite. June lake/Lee Vinning areas, you can use your toad for travel from there. If you drive thru Yosemite out to the West side you can take roads from there south to the Sequoias. It may be a bit of a drive, but there is alot to see along that route. I'm not sure how the fires have impacted that route but at least you can see Yosemite.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Go south on the 395 from Reno, you will be on the eastern side of the Sierras and can stay in several places near the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite. June lake/Lee Vinning areas, you can use your toad for travel from there. If you drive thru Yosemite out to the West side you can take roads from there south to the Sequoias. It may be a bit of a drive, but there is alot to see along that route. I'm not sure how the fires have impacted that route but at least you can see Yosemite.

Mike, thanks for the info. Richard suggested that as well so that will be the plan. Should I plan on an overnight away from the mh? Is it reasonable to get to and see the Sequoia NP in a day?

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post

Richard, can I drive these parks from a base near 120 and 395? I am open to almost anything except going west with the mh.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Yes you can but to get to Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP's it will be a long drive.

It's best to drive through Yosemite and enjoy the slow ride and scenery then setup a base camp on the west side of Yosemite. You will have a shorter drive to Sequoia NP with your car from that base camp.

Just for grins, the mileage from the intersection of 120 & 395 to the entrance of Sequoia NP is 238 miles, probably a 6 hour drive at least.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9...09!2d36.490863

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yes you can but to get to Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP's it will be a long drive.

It's best to drive through Yosemite and enjoy the slow ride and scenery then setup a base camp on the west side of Yosemite. You will have a shorter drive to Sequoia NP with your car from that base camp.

Just for grins, the mileage from the intersection of 120 & 395 to the entrance of Sequoia NP is 238 miles.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Hmmmm.... That would be a very long day. I think Sequoia NP will have to be for another adventure. Thanks for all the advice.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #8

Alan, we have driven our car from Mammoth Lakes for day drives through Yosemite and doing some hiking, and then back to Mammoth Lakes with plenty of time. I think the entry pass is good foe seven days.

I have not left the park and driven to the Sequoias from Yosemite although I know you can. I was going to suggest you might want to make it a night stayover in a hotel, maybe in Oakhurst. It's a nice little town just outside of the Seqouias. If you do that I would leave my MH in Mammoth lakes which is about 16 Miles south of the Tioga pass turnoff. Mammoth has better places for your RV, well worth the drive I think. To get there just take the 395 to the 203 Mammoth Lakes cutoff and make a right as you pull into town( about 4 miles) they have a full hookup Campground for any size MH, as well as a couple NP Service campgrounds(no hookups) you might want to stay in. If you have never been there Mammoth Lakes is really nice and you could easily spend a week or more there, exploring in your toad.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Thanks to you guys for your input. We drove through Yosemite late Sunday, Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon today and a slow drive back through Yosemite tomorrow after a couple nights in Oakhurst.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #10

Alan, how was the smoke from the fires in that area. We went to Mammoth in August and the smoke from the Yosemite fire(which I think is still burning) was pretty bad in Mammoth, now you have fire coming up the West side of Tahoe on top of that. We are heading out in a few days for about three weeks and thinking of heading that way....Thanks Mike
Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

Smoke was not at all bad. There was a valley on the west side that you could see it was kind if bad and you could smell it. Other than that it was fantastic.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 09-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #12

Thanks Alan, when we were in Mammoth in August there were times it was so bad you could only see about a half a mile...hopefully they get a handle on it soon...Take care...Mike
Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #13

Mike,
After driving through there it is unreal how difficult the terrain is there to actually fight a fire and sad that there are people that set those fires on purpose. Enjoy your trip and I hope it is as clear and pure as it was for us. Gorgeous place!!

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Tioga Pass would be fun with your MH. I would suggest a easy trip down the 395 to Mammoth with stops in Bridgeport and any other place that looks good. My son raced at Mammoth last weekend and said there was no smoke, (1st place). There are several CG's in the Mammoth/June area and the crowds are gone now. The area is just waiting for snow now. There is much to do and see on the east side, go find a natural hot spring with the CRV and relax. Take the gondola to the top of Mammoth ski, golf, fish, rent an ATV, and more. Mammoth RV has paved level suites if thats what you want.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, national