Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #15

Appalachian Campers
Stay away from I-40 through Knoxville. Last time I was there they had it ripped up to the dirt for several miles, that was a year ago so check for the latest but I'd find another way around Knoxville.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Knoxville traffic is not so bad now that the I 40 section thru downtown has been completed. IF I was going to Smoky Bear CG I would go I/40east to Newport and then to Cosby Hwy. US # 321.If you plan a route thru Maryville to Townsend then to Smoky Bear-you'll still fight the heavy traffic in the congested areas. I try to stay away from Sevierville,Pigeon Forge traffic if at all possible. Have an enjoyable time in the prettiest area of our world.
Safe Travels

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #17

Joe,

you have a big IF re Smoky Bear park. Is there a problem we should know about?

Thanks,
RJ & Evelyn
Also a retired LEO
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #18

rivers edge, twin rivers resort, koa in pigeon forge all in a row if you like to walk to the action on the strip koa is the way to go like they said make early reservation.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RJEV Just got back today from Pigeon Forge after the Bristol truck race last Wed. First visit, neat place...especially Gatlinburg. Beautiful mountain roads-now I see why all the bikes love to ride around there. Oct. should be great. We'll go back next year. Stayed at Rivers Edge...as stated-nice but a little tight.

By the way we loved the Temptations Revue (in from LasVegas). Excellent show! Only one of the originals left (Nate Evans) but the others gave a fantastic performance too-well worth the price. They'll be there until late Dec.

Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipwil View Post
Knoxville traffic is not so bad now that the I 40 section thru downtown has been completed. IF I was going to Smoky Bear CG I would go I/40east to Newport and then to Cosby Hwy. US # 321.If you plan a route thru Maryville to Townsend then to Smoky Bear-you'll still fight the heavy traffic in the congested areas. I try to stay away from Sevierville,Pigeon Forge traffic if at all possible. Have an enjoyable time in the prettiest area of our world.
Safe Travels
It's completed? Impressive considering the condition it was in last time I was there.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
RJEV: I've no problem w/ Smoky Bear CG. It's really a very nice CG. I was only thinking about the hassle of the traffic you'll encounter by going thru the high traffic area. Our camping chapter web site has pictures of Smoky Bear CG. Click on the link at the bottom of my signature;after that loads; click on Scrapbook/Archives;then to Sept.2008 campout. Feel free to explore the entire site. Not to seem overly PROUD - but we believe we've got the best GOOD SAMS web page out here. If you want to leave a comment feel free- there's a spot for that.
SKNIGHT : The construction company got a large bonus for early completion of the project there in Knoxville. As I best remember they finished a couple months ahead of schedule.
SAFE TRAVELS
Old 08-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
That is correct. Take I 75 toward Knoxville then Take I 40 W and exit on Hwy 321 S which is exit # 440. Follow it to Smoky Bear, Nice drive and a lot of nice shops to stop at. Tell them I said HI. Boyd Kurt
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Only correction is-I 40w goes to Nashville. You will need I 40 east to get to exit #440 or whatever # US 321 so. is on in Newport,Tn.
Enjoy the journey.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm jealous as that area of the country is so nice and pretty this time of year! Everyone is right about the congestion!