Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Ship watching on the mississippi

anyone know of rv parks south of new Orleans on the river?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #2

See you getting little response. Try googling all RV parks in that area on google maps, then zoom in on the ones that seem to be on the river. You can almost identify a friends RV that way, so should be able to determine if the river is visible. Once you identiy 2 or 3 possibilities, phone the campground and ask them.
oldkokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This does look interesting!
Had to Google Earth to learn there is river south of New Orleans!
Thanks
Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Keep in mind there are tall levees lining both sides of the river so all views are obstructed.
Jerry TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a river Tow boat Captain, I run the Mississippi River. I don’t remember seeing any rv parks on the river south of New Orleans on the river and as Jerry TX says, tall levees. I actually lived/worked out of Venice, La at the end of the river road years ago. A trip down to Venice and stopping at Fort Jackson would be a good place to walk up the levee as have a look at the ships

Now, the first place to actually rv on the river and watch boats go up and down the river is Vadalia, La across from Natchez, Ms. You will not see any ships as they can not go any further north than Baton Rouge, La. You will see plenty of towboats pushing barges.

The next place right on the water with a great view would be the rv park across from Memphis, Tn. I think it is call Tom Sawer.

If you have any more river questions, let me know as I spend half my life in the middle of the Mississippi!

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post

If you have any more river questions, let me know as I spend half my life in the middle of the Mississippi!

Patrick

As an old man who grew up floating small Arkansas rivers and reading Mark Twain, I envy you. I'd love to buy you a few refreshments and hear your stories.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist922 View Post
As an old man who grew up floating small Arkansas rivers and reading Mark Twain, I envy you. I'd love to buy you a few refreshments and hear your stories.
Cyclist922, I’m just an old sailor. I started with a tour in the Navy before joining the US Coast Guard. I retired from the Coast Guard in 1995 at 39 and started working on the commercial side of boating and settled in with pushing barges.

I work a 28 days on and 28 days off schedule. So, for 6 month a year we try to travel in our little Motorhome. Maybe we will cross paths and enjoy some refreshments together and hear your stories!

Patrick
Semper Paratus
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist922 View Post
Floating the river is a great way to travel! I've spent a lot of time on the north part of the Mississippi! I've traveled everything north of St Louis by house boat. 600 miles and all of the locks! Beautiful!
"Those Barge guys are a lot easier to share the river with than the big pleasure boats! LOL!"
Old 12-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post

Now, the first place to actually rv on the river and watch boats go up and down the river is Vadalia, La across from Natchez, Ms. You will not see any ships as they can not go any further north than Baton Rouge, La. You will see plenty of towboats pushing barges.
I stayed at Vadalia last year, nice place. Some view of the river from the campsites and a paved walk right on top of the levee, just don't ride your bike on it.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #10

There is an rv park in Buras Angels Hideaway.