Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should FHU, Pull-through sites be held open for bigger rigs?
Yes 29 31.18%
No 64 68.82%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
My chief beef - cars parked in restaurant spaces that are marked "RV only". I know - off topic but sort of the same (except for not paying for the parking space).

Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
NO.........you get what you pay for. Some people don't like to back anything in no matter what the size is. Could this be a case of RV snobbery? Just a thought, how dare those pop up people parking in a pull through site.............how dare them!
If you are pulling a toad you can't backup, so a pull through makes things a heck of a lot easier. Especially for a quick overnight. If for a few day's the toad is usually unhooked so it matters not.

Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Could never understand why a tenter would even reserve a full hook up site.
Have seen it more often lately in Ohio St. Pks.
I can answer this one. When camping in a pop up I always requested the full hookup sites ( was not always granted one) because I did not like camping in the rustic area on a small squishy site and usually next to some young party goers........... My vote is first come first serve......
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting that nobody looked at this from the campground's perspective. I suspect private parks do not want to "hold" anything and turn away business, and then not have any big rigs show up.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
What happens if the park owner turns away a small rig and holds the space for a big rig and the big rig is a no show? Park owner loses money, why is the park owner in business, TO MAKE MONEY. Just my HO. And I am a big rig and I almost never make reservations.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Interesting that nobody looked at this from the campground's perspective. I suspect private parks do not want to "hold" anything and turn away business, and then not have any big rigs show up.
I think most have taken that into account when recognizing and accepting the first come, first served rule. Either a campground has a specific-site reservations system (usually with a deposit), or it doesn't. If it does then it should hold your site for you and if it doesn't then of course no one should expect them to turn away business just in case a larger rig might show up. In fact that is that is the fundamental flaw in poll's premise.

Beyond that, there are two types of people in the world. Those who might pass by a large space and take an acceptable smaller one after considering that someone might really need the larger space, and those who make no such considerations. Everyone gets to decide which group they want to belong to.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If they pay for the site they should get it. Just because they cannot afford a $300,000 coach doesn not mean they should not get the site they choose. I have a 39 foot 5er and am 56 foot long hooked up so I could use a large drive thru so I book ahead to be sure I have a space I fit in.
I agree..

Happened to me at a private CG. Paid for site "X" 3 months before. At arrival the owner said the big rig needed your site. We ended up with a crappy site which was very un-level and my sewer hookup was 30 feet away. That is a reason why at state parks this would never happen....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
As a campground owner and avid RV'r I can tell you we make every effort to match rig size to campsight size. The challenges we have as an industry are the aging infrastructure relative to the ability of the RV industry to make bigger and bigger rigs. Rigs with multiple slides are an exceptional challenge in older campgrounds. Making sites wider is often not possible without sacrificing sites (reducing the number available) to accomodate the width. Just like you, we have to pay the rent. We do this by either accomodating as many rigs as we can at a given price or reducing the number of sites available but having to charge a higher price. Unfortunately, the rent doesn't care how we get the money.

With that said those folks that make reservations USUALLY get the size/width site they need - depending on the amount of time before arrival. However, in our park approximately 48% of our guests do not make reservations and arrive unannounced. In our industry, just like in hotels and airlines, we have something called spoilage. If we don't rent a site for any given night - it's spoiled, and cannot be recovered. If I have the opportunity to rent a site - any site - to someone coming in at 5 or 6pm on any given day when I have OPEN sites I will, within reason, let them have just about any site they want. Just like you resent a campground not holding back bigger sites for big rigs, these folks resent not being allowed to utilize that "nicer" site.

This issue is a tremendous challenge for campground owners and I hope this helps understand our perspective.
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
I'm usually charged in advance so if I come in late I'm or the next day, I still paid for that day as a show or no show. If I owned the campground, smaller rigs would get the smaller sites if all the sites were pre-booked. A large rig can't fit in a small site, regardless of the money.
I'm coming in with a a 30' 5th wheel and long bed crewcab drw so when I reserve a spot for that size of rig I expect the site to be available.

The campground isn't losing money because I pre-booked.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I too will give you perspective from the campground side. Perfect example is when the snowbirds are traveling. Some reserve, some don't. Whoever calls in and reserves their spot and pays the deposit required to hold their spot gets a site that their rig will fit on. If you just pull in off the street with no reservation, you have no reason to complain because the best sites are not available. Where I work in an older CG, we have alot of different size sites and only one to accomodate the larger RV. We do try and rent it last, but when things start filling up and we have that one large site and several small sites, if a 40' RV pulls in he will not be turned away. Sometimes we go days with no oversize rigs. As for people renting 2 sites regardless of their reason, they paid the rent, they can do what they want. We had a group of men rent a cabin for the weekend of the NCAA Final game. They rented the adjourning site to play corn hole during the day. The CG owner is in business to make money. How can any of us deny him the right to do so.
Now as a camper, if I reserve or pull in early to a CG and pay my money, I expect a good site. I too am wondering if it is a bit of snobbery. We have parked next to some really nice folks, and I really don't care what they drive, tow or set up. It's the people I care about.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
I voted no.
We had a popup and used both dry and full hookup sites.
At Mazama CG our dry pull thru site was truly gigantic but the driveway itself was narrow and virtually useless to a large? TT or MH.
This is the entrance

Here is a view from the "back"

...and the exit

At the Shingletown KOA, we found our water/power hookup site to be adequate

We also dry camped in loop E at Shadow Bay at Waldo lake. We reserved and paid for the 5 site group loop a week at a time for three years. It was just the two of us with our two dogs in our popup in the entire group area. We had our own private campground because we paid for it.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
We had a group of men rent a cabin for the weekend of the NCAA Final game. They rented the adjourning site to play corn hole during the day.

I just can't think of a comment for that.....

Back to original topic............
If you reserve a spot, you should get that spot, that's all there is to it.
It's my opinion that campgrounds should put customers in spots they will
fit, with first come first serve.
Put small rigs in small spots until the place starts to fill up, then fill big
spots last with anybody, we all know you can't turn away customers.
But don't fill big spots with little rigs early on.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #27
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
At New Mexico state parks people pay for sites well ahead of holiday weekends just to hold the site with no intention to use it untill the weekend. I have done it because i have been forced to to get a site. But its still wrong, Then other pay for a space next door just to park their boat. If you have an annual permit camping is only $4 a night. At that price ppl will abuse. I have seen sites payed for and "Tagged" but never used until the weekend. I have watched ppl drive in looking for a site for even just a night only to see empty sites but none available.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
IMO, sites should absolutely not be held open for large rigs, unless the cg owner wishes to discourage any business other than large units. As others have said, if you try too hard to control the system you are likely to upset paying customers already at hand and hope the big units show up.

When we lived near Atlanta and had a boat, it was impossible to get a decent campsite on weekends or holidays at the lakeside campgrounds without learning how to game the system. There were actually a group of young people who you could hire to claim a good site and live in tents on it for a week or more to hold it until the weekend you wanted. On a 14 day site rental weekdays the site was occupied by hired youngsters and their tent. Weekends would be our motorhome and boat. If you wanted a decent site on the lake there was no other way to do it.

jzick is offline   Reply With Quote