Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Siskiyou pass this weekend

We were planning to leave Saturday, then go over the Pass on Sunday morning.. I do not have chains, not buying them.. Looking for experienced help on the best time to travel that highway
Thanks, Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are aware that Oregon is a carry chain state. There is a lot of pain associated getting caught without chains if they are needed.

That being said I try to hit the pass at about 1-pm that way I am in Redding by 4-pm. Anytime late morning early afternoon is generally best. Remember Siskyou Pass has a lot of equipment devoted to it as a major pass on I-5 but you still have Shasta to contend with. I consult the Oregon DOT website which gives me pictures of the pass in real time Cal Trans in California has the same set up. Also 511 is road information in Oregon call it just before you get to the pass to check the condition.

TripCheck - Road
Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

I carry chains.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I will get a price on chains tomorrow..I have owned a MH for five years but never traveled in the cold. I really do not want to use them, but I do want to go to Phoenix. I thought that if the road was clear i would have no use for chains, nor would anyone check me out.
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

We drive through the Siskiyous every January headed south and don't carry chains. If the weather were questionable we'd stay in Grants Pass and wait for conditions to improve.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #5

chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
We were planning to leave Saturday, then go over the Pass on Sunday morning.. I do not have chains, not buying them.. Looking for experienced help on the best time to travel that highway
Thanks, Don
Buy a set of chains if not used they can be returned to any Les Schwab Store.
Chuck
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
State Chain Law Requirements updated
California During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.
Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions. More Information

Oregon Oregon’s chain law applies to all highways throughout the state. When you drive in winter conditions, you may see signs telling you to carry chains or traction tires and when you are required to use them. In some areas, lighted message signs also will advise you about chaining up.
Under some conditions traction tires may be used in place of chains on vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or less and that are not towing or being towed. In very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used. This is known as a conditional road closure. (ORS815.045) Minimum Chain Requirements

Washington All vehicles over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) shall carry a minimum of two (2) extra chains for use in the event that road conditions require the use of more chains or in the event that chains in use are broken or otherwise made useless,
WAC 204-24-050 (2) (f).
Approved chains for vehicles over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight shall have at least two side chains to which are attached sufficient cross chains of hardened metal so that at least one cross chain is in contact with the road surface at all times. Plastic chains shall not be allowed. The Washington State Patrol may approve other devices as chains if the devices are equivalent to regular chains in performance (cable chains allowable). Minimum Chain Requirement Diagram
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I will go see my buddy Les today and buy some chains. As I cut back on work I may need to carry them more often. Weatherman says up to 40 Sunday at the mountain so as suggested I will time it for 1:00 o'clock. Thanks for convincing me on this.
Don
Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I travel to Oregon. Carry chains per law. Got mine at NAPA. Don't remember the cost but was not too expensive.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

Is the "carry chains" requirement in effect only during certain months?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just bought my chains, $93 for chains and bunge cords. Less Schwab.
Campdaven, the way I read it is "Winter Conditions". I guess they donnt like folks without chains getting stuck and clogging up the road.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

The requirement is spelled out here. Interesting as I read it the law is partially there to discourage the use of studded tires which tear up the roads since they run whether needed or not.

I purchased chains years ago and have never used them. I hope I never do. But I do take them out and remind myself how to put them on each year before we head out. I also pre-prepare with proper clothing handy and a ground cloth to throw down and warning light for oncoming traffic stuff like that.

I told the guy when I bought them I want them to rust in the bag. I have them to comply with the law and, in the unlikely event I get caught needing them it is a time where only the right tool will do. I avoid their usage with planning and not being in a hurry to get anywhere. One of the luxuries of retirement.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Ok, I will go see my buddy Les today and buy some chains. As I cut back on work I may need to carry them more often. Weatherman says up to 40 Sunday at the mountain so as suggested I will time it for 1:00 o'clock. Thanks for convincing me on this.
Don
In ten years of sprinting the pass I have never had to chain up. One year I got to Ashland and the State Patrol was inspecting, they had a turn around available so I did and stayed the night at Grants Pass. It was clear at 5am the next morning.

One year I made Siskiyou just fine but got into the Shastas and about thirty miles from Redding it began to snow like crazy, I just barely made it before the roads required chains. That is the condition that you worry about unexpected change in weather and being in a place that is difficult to find where to stay and wait it out. Stuff happens, be prepared.

And we talked this sucker into the ground I guess, good luck on your trip, the pass is beautiful if the sun is out and it is snow covered.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about Oregon but in some states if chains are required and you don't have them; if you are blocking the road they can just push your car out of the way and are not responsible for damages. I have been driving the Siskiyou's for years without carrying chains. For some reason this year I bought chains. Leaving in about 3 weeks hopefully I won't need them.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #14

Instead of chains, cut over to 101 just south of Eugene coming out at Reedsport. Drive down 101 to Ukiah and cut back over to I5 on CA20.