Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #1

Ski Areas in CO???

I know...Wierd time to pose this thread!
We have two teens who fancy themselves as ski bunnies. Would appreciate input about recommended campgrounds that are open near Colorado ski areas during the Christmas holidays.
We pedal around in a 35ft Super C, but hope to have a DP by then.

J.M.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
What city will you be coming from? I have skied most of the resorts in Co many times (non-Rving) First off X-mas is very busy if the snow is good, lift rates are priced at a holiday rate ($$$$). Over the last 10 years many of the resorts had RV spots in a out lying parking lot for RV's, but the lodging properties have persuaded the resorts to do away with RV parking to force those people to stay in their beds.

Steamboat has a campground about 3 miles from the slopes that when we drove by had about ten RV's parked...the winter of 2012 and 2009.

Vail and Beaver Creek would most likely have something down valley (heading west) where the elevation is a little lower and not much snow. You don't want to be caught east of Vail (Vail Pass) in a storm in a RV. Vail is our favorite (16 week long trips) over the last 25 years. This past January I was trip leader for our ski clubs Vail trip (30 people)...

You would save so much $$$ if you can drive your own bed to the resorts. There are deals online and in Denver for lift tickets to the resorts. For non-skiers,Vail has many shops to window shop.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have stayed at Tiger Run 3 times during ski season. Last time we camped there for an entire month. It is located only a few minutes drive from Breckenridge and within easy reach of a few other very good ski areas. I am sure that early booking is advised - especially during the Christmas break.

Beware: Once it get really cold, there are a number of precautions that needs to be observed. Things will freeze up and appliances that runs on Propane have a tendency not to like 9,000 feet altitude.

Next time we go, we will seriously consider booking one of Tiger Run's cabin. Last time we found that it was not worth it to spend a lot of RV fuel getting there, and then having to "fight" the elements in an RV that is not really build for hard frost. Camping sites are not cheap and for about the same money we could have been comfortable in a nice cabin (regular season). Mind you - cabins are popular and I am sure that they can hang out the "no vacancy" sign pretty fast.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #4

Driving in the mountains during ski season can be tricky and ski passes are expensive .
Best advice would be look for deal on accommodation and passes , usually works out a lot cheaper ,
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Driving in the mountains during ski season can be tricky and ski passes are expensive .
Best advice would be look for deal on accommodation and passes , usually works out a lot cheaper ,
As much as I love RVing (even in the cold) I would have to agree with Jimmy.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

Breckenridge usually has a few package deals and is popular with young boarders !
Shell gas stations run a two for one lift ticket promotion through the season ( no sure which ski areas )
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

WE APPRECIATE the great replies. Our home base is i n Central Texas, so we normally hang out at Angel Fire or Taos in NM. I just thot DW might prefer someplace like Vail or Keystone since we are geezers who sit while girls slide. (Keystone in memory of a spectacular crash DW had there the very first and last time she was on skis.)
J.M.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #8

Hello James,

We camped at Tiger Run (near Breckenridge) about 5 years ago for 2 consecutive years in an Alpenlite 5th wheel. Stayed a month each time. There are a couple of reasons we only did it 2 years. First, I'll be 75 in Nov. and there is a lot of work to keeping an rv going in winter. Some nights it got down to 15 degrees below zero. We were emptying/refilling a 30lb propane tank every other day. Shoveled a lot of snow out of the campsite. Fresh water hose froze because heat tape quit. Had to use hair dryer to thaw dump valves. We have insulated and heated holding tanks but exposed dump valves. Couldn't leave dump valves open because the constant slow drainage would eventually cause the sewer hose to freeze solid. Had to add heat tape to water lines inside where they lay against the exterior walls. Just a lot of work while trying to ski every day.

The 2nd and worst part was how hard it was on the rv. We have, as most do, vacuum bonded sidewalls with welded aluminum frame construction. Frost formed on the inside walls along all the aluminum wall framing. This has caused some wrinkling of the inside wall covering where it meets the floor. We already had some outside wall delamination but now it's worse. Any opening through the exterior wall, that had not been sealed, and had access to heated room air would generate significant condensation and attack the exterior wall adhesive. One example was the hole where the washer/dryer vented to the outside. Now there is a delam. bubble underneath that hole. Another example was the area under the fridge wall vent. I'm sure there's more I could talk about but memory fails.

We did enjoy being able to come back to our little home in the snow every day. We had some decorative holiday lights up. Was a pretty picture.

Robert
Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #9

Vail is really nice , town is modeled on Swiss town , sonnenalp hotel is owed by Swiss family and interior was imported .
Lots of accommodation so you should be able to find a deal
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Macfet View Post
WE APPRECIATE the great replies. Our home base is i n Central Texas, so we normally hang out at Angel Fire or Taos in NM. I just thot DW might prefer someplace like Vail or Keystone since we are geezers who sit while girls slide. (Keystone in memory of a spectacular crash DW had there the very first and last time she was on skis.)
J.M.
Jim-
We have skied most of the Colorado and NM ski resorts, but using our motorhome, we like Red River, just over the mountain from Taos. There are a couple campgrounds open along the river and the slope bus makes regular runs through the park. One Red River run comes down into town and we usually drive our own vehicle a mile to the upper part of the town and park very close to the lift.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Vail in my opinion is #1 in many categories, except value for the dollar. This past Jan. Vail trip we ended up eating most of our dinners at our condo's. Here are a few pics for our last Vail trip Vail
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We arrived at Tiger Run in Breckenridge on 12/26 last year for a week, night time temps below 0 several nights, no real issues if you take proper precautions. Bring a snow shovel with you. Cabins (Chalet's) looked very nice, but saw resort employees thawing pipes in them two mornings.

We used enclosed trailer for storing ski's and boots with boot dryers to keep moisture out of coach.

Made my own insulated heated hose which worked wonderfully, kept space heater running in utility compartment, an cracked exhaust fan running.

Make sure batteries are solid in coach for the house.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote