Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Snow skiing in Smokey Mnts in March?

I want to take the kids snow skiing/boarding for Mardi Gras break which is early March but I don't want to drive 20Hrs to NM or CO. The Smokeys would be a whole lot closer but what are the chances of ski-able snow still hanging around? Any place with RV parks open?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

With the weather the way it is, you could probably go skiing in the Smokeys in April! It's interesting, watching the news reports from ther East. Today in western Washington, it was in the high 50's and may crack 60 tomorrow. Of course it's raining!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where are you located? The resorts in the Smoky's are on the smaller size....Snowshoe in WV has a huge snowmaking system that builds a deep base for skiing till the first week or so into April.....No matter how warm March gets, they seem to be fully open for late March and April skiing....

Here are a few pix's to get ya in the mood:
~Steamboat CO.

~Winter Park CO.

~Park City / Snowbird UT.

~Vail CO.

~Whistler BC.

One word about Steamboat. They have a Winter Carnival (Feb 2-6 2011) This will be their 98th Winter Carnival. I was trip leader for our ski club back two years ago where I lead 30 some people on. At the time I didn't know we reserved a week during their Winter Carnival. It was great, Got-ta check out the lighted man...For 2010 the Lighted Man changed over to LED's......

~

~ with new LED lighting..

~ (Youtube)

~

~
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Thanks folks.

I'm in S. Louisiana. We usually head west to Red River, NM but just don't feel like making the 2 hard days drive. WV looks inviting.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Actually Snowshoe in WV is a little closer, but still a hard drive from your location. I bet some of the state parks would be open. Here in Ohio there are a bunch of State Parks that stay open year round.

Two ski areas about 3 hours from us (NE Ohio) have RV sites with electric. The one, 7-Springs near Pittsburgh used to have about 20 sites right next to the slope. Now they moved them to a small parking lot about a 10 minute walk to the lifts. The other is Holiday Valley in Western NY.

I'm run a trip (trip leader for 32 people) where one of my families is driving from their winter in Florida to Aspen/Snowmass CO. instead of flying....3 day drive....My air fare was $435 round trip Cleveland to Denver. Two years ago it was $280 RT....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote