Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post

Wife Needs to stop viewing Border Wars.. on television.
Exactly. These programs portray the uncommon along the border. Thousands and thousands of real life people choose to live in the border town areas and have no issues. We've heard of people even afraid of driving on I-10 across Texas/Arizona!!! Folks.....there is absolutely no problem driving, siteseeing or staying near the borders. As everywhere, be aware of your surroundings. If you are in an area that doesn't feel good to you then move.... just like in your hometown state. Cities all across the U.S. have problems as we see and read about every day.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post
only location I can think of that has stable/repeatable weather. year round. .
..... is the equator ....

6 weeks I depart for South Texas. waiting, waiting, waiting
. never been there.

Wife Needs to stop viewing Border Wars.. on television.

Don't know we're you are coming from, but I will share our experience. ( first winter in RGV )
We live in SE OK in a town of 20 K people. Tv is Tulsa and Oklahoma City ( not Chicago) but we are deeply concerned about drugs, gangs, and killings, in OK. Everyday.
We felt there was less violent crime in the RGV last winter, than what we see on local news at home. Certainly, less murder, and meth house fires. I would say petty theft to be more prevalent. I didn't feel like the news coverage was ignoring it.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #129

We live in Mission Texas no problems at all
Old 09-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #130

No Fear,,, we will be arriving in Mission Texas .. on time..

the way I understand that type of TV Show.. 13 days of shows made in 1 year.. so 13/365 and most is on the South West Side of the state..
but you know woman.!!!! if its on TV, its real.

I grew up in the inner city of Cleveland Ohio.. so....
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Don't know we're you are coming from, but I will share our experience. ( first winter in RGV )
We live in SE OK in a town of 20 K people. Tv is Tulsa and Oklahoma City ( not Chicago) but we are deeply concerned about drugs, gangs, and killings, in OK. Everyday.
We felt there was less violent crime in the RGV last winter, than what we see on local news at home. Certainly, less murder, and meth house fires. I would say petty theft to be more prevalent. I didn't feel like the news coverage was ignoring it.
Texas is a big place ! We always go thru via I-40 headed for Az.NV. Etc. panhandlers are everywhere you stop it seems, especially Amarillo . Not a fan of Oak City going thru on toll Rd and over the years ice,snow, tornado or two. Norman we always liked going south. Years ago, Muskogee was a favorate when I was trucking.....Hilltop Truck Stop, great food, but then that was 50 years ago !
Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #132

Looking for a place with a little green, some trees would be nice.
Mild climate, very little wind, quiet relaxed atmosphere, hiking or other activities nearby.
Dec. through March
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Looking for a place with a little green, some trees would be nice.
Mild climate, very little wind, quiet relaxed atmosphere, hiking or other activities nearby.
Dec. through March
Google Earth is your friend.

I am going to Mission Texas in 6 days (( for 5 months )).. I looked and ask many here...
never been there.

but the area is well known as a wintering Bird area... lots of hike/bike trails. look up the Chamber of Commerce.. for any of the South Texas cities.

Many campgrounds offer discounts for first time visitors , ASK!!
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #134

Dear Airlifter,
Everyone that has been to the RGV has their favorite, and we have stayed at Trophy Gardens RV Park in Alamo, TX for the last couple years. It is a Wilder park and there are several in the RGV area. Check them all out. All have lots of activities, some with better wifi than others, but all are in an affordable price range and good spaces.

Rick & Bettie
'08 Itasca Ellipse
'12 Ford Escape towed.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #135

Wind in RGV

If you're looking for somewhere not too windy, don't expect to find it in the RGV. It's flat and near the ocean, so there's nothing to stop it. Other than that, it's a nice place to spend the winter, IMHO
Old 10-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
If you're looking for somewhere not too windy, don't expect to find it in the RGV. It's flat and near the ocean, so there's nothing to stop it. Other than that, it's a nice place to spend the winter, IMHO

Mission or McAllen are not near as windy as over on the Harlingen side. We've done both. This year we are off to Arizona again but like the Valley as well.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #137

Rincon West

We are spending our first winter at Rincon West in Tucson. Large, gated park, tons of activities should you care to participate. So far, everyone seems to be very friendly, and encourage you to join in. We like it.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:04 AM   #138

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
this is our 2nd year in AZ/Ca we are right on the river and we haven't seen or heard of any problems, a month last year and we are here now thru April. Not really qualified I guess but just saying. this is our experience, We have also stayed in Oklahoma city for 3 weeks and heard more killings and shooting than I care to hear.
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by partskenn View Post
We are spending our first winter at Rincon West in Tucson. Large, gated park, tons of activities should you care to participate. So far, everyone seems to be very friendly, and encourage you to join in. We like it.
I tried Tucson three years in a row, weather was great , but the city is too large to navigate in comfort , something one wants during their winters off . Lazy Days is ( was ) a very nice huge park for those who have large rigs.........Last winter I tried Boulder City , NV. For Jan. Thru March. All I can say is why did I not go there before !! A perfect match, very layed back on the shore of Lake Mead, yet in 30 min. Las Vegas is always close when you want it. The Mohave Desert is much nicer than the Senora also.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Mohave Desert is much nicer than the Senora also.
Depends what you're looking for in a desert....the Sonoran is much lusher with a greater variety of plants.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, texas