Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt1967 View Post
Picacho Peak RV Resort is about half way between Phoenix and Tucson. It is clean, Friendly and Reasonably Priced.

When travelling in the winter months always check not just the temperature, but also the elevation and the wind for the area.
Talk about WIND...Picacho Peak is right in the heart of dust storms. We've been in a few just driving on I-10 at Picacho - in December and in February...couldn't see 6' ahead of us. Very scary! We wouldn't stay there and not in Casa Grande if you want to do any Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Junction things....just too far to drive for day trips in horrendous traffic.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #58
nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Mcallen tx paradise park inc been going their 24 years check it out you will stay for sure
Very close to everything hospitals restaurants Cosco Sam's shopping
Being in the heart of town you wouldn't believe how quiet it is
They have pickle ball, shuffleboard, Bingo, breakfast dances shows you name it
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #59

I can't help but wonder the "resort Parks" that instead of 500-600 a month charge 800-1,000 a month are really worth it. All to "things to do" are mostly in your car touring the out places 200-300 miles anyway.There are advantages staying at a place where its more layed back, has dog runs, not so crowded , fewer rules...after who wants to "dress for dinner " or take part in all the senior activates that have limited access because of time scheduling problems. I want the best hot spot cell service ( do not really care about wiFi ) as I have all the amps and boosters, antennas I need. I would rather hop in my 911, top down and head for the Alltime Fitness local place that works well for me on my own time.....just some thoughts to think about.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #60

Forgot to mention in our reply coz of location, but our favorite spot forever will be Platte River RV in Glenrock, WY. Great spot, fishing, golf, cheap, wonderful staff, Casper near by with EVERYTHING you'll ever need. Great puppy land.
mexpeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #61

Big Bend National Park

Big Bend NP love it. Terlinga Ghost Town and Stillwell store for RV parks.
Bfrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #62

Rio Grande Valley RV Sites

We have stayed 4 years at Trophy Gardens RV Park, Alamo, TX and enjoy the many activities and social environment. A medium priced park and Alamo is right in the middle of the "Valley". There are several Wilder RV Resorts in the Valley and most are very similar in price, amenities and set up. Another park that we will mention is Victoria Palms,Donna, TX, just east of Alamo and next door to the Don-West Flea market. Like Trophy it is just off I-2 and Business 83. I is more expensive than Trophy Gardens, but a step up in quality, site size and amenities, plus they have a great restaurant on site too. There are 362 RV parks in the "Valley" between South Padre Island and Rio Grande City, TX so take your pick as they will range from 1 Star to 5 Star. The Valley is also about $100/month cheaper than Arizona RV park prices too.
Good luck.
Rick & Bettie Kennedy. '08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #63

Is Mexico, Rocky Point safe

We leave our motor home on the beach for 6 months, from November to April, go back and forth to Phoenix spending a couple of weeks at our home in Peoria AZ and then use our "RV condo" on the ocean for the rest of the month. The town is very US friendly, has many good restaurants, fishing if you like that, lots of activities and of course shopping. But mostly the ocean and beach is nicer than any on the pacific coast, fun to wale watch etc.. Many retired RV and condo people go to this 50,000 population town that is in my opinion safer than most US cities.a It's only 65 miles south of the border and is really an island to itself in that there are no other larger cities close by. Also did I say a good value? RV spots if you pay by the month are only $25-$30 per day for full hookups, you can get a nice breakfast at many places for under $7 including coffee or a drink, haircuts are $6, car wash is $3-$5, dinner specials like prime rib at Brians is $11.
pellmauid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Tucson

We have been wintering in Tucson for 18 years now and love it. For the first 16 years, we stayed at Rincon Country West. Good park with every conceivable activity and club.
This winter and last we decided to try something different; we stayed at Desert Pueblo RV Resort in Tucson and absolutely love it. Quieter, fewer activities and less pricey, it is the best......the only real issue in staying there on an extended basis is the credit check and personal check done before approval. The temporary hassle was worth it. They have 421 total sites and I guess 125 of them are for RV's. There are always some available. At about $427./ month, it can't be beat. Best kept secret in Tucson.
MerleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #65

Winter Texan's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlifter View Post
Specifically, we are considering spending part of the winter in either the Rio Grande Valley of Texas or the Tucson area in Arizona. We would appreciate any recommendations of or warnings about specific RV resorts. Either location is an easy two day drive from our home near Amarillo, TX.
We have been Winter Texan's for 14 going on 15 years. We love it down there. But snow birds go to FL. "Winter Texan's" go to Texas. Either way you will need a passport if you plan on shopping in Mexico.
Richlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
In the RGV Llano Grande is a must, been their twice and going back. Checked out quite a few of the others while there. Bentsen Palms and Retama are also good but Llano has them beat IMHO.

X2 this will be our second winter at Llando Grande. Stayed at Mission View in Tucson 2015 liked it. But nothing like Llando. And looked at several while in the RGV last winter. Best one we've stayed at. And super friendly people.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #67

I still like the $180.00 (for ALL season) at Quartzsite's BLM areas. Only 75 miles North of Yuma and about the same South of Lake Havasu City (London Bridge fame). About 125 miles West of Phoenix. Let's see 180 / 7 = a bit over $25.00 a month, less that a dollar a day.
Radioranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:10 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioranger View Post
I still like the $180.00 (for ALL season) at Quartzsite's BLM areas. Only 75 miles North of Yuma and about the same South of Lake Havasu City (London Bridge fame). About 125 miles West of Phoenix. Let's see 180 / 7 = a bit over $25.00 a month, less that a dollar a day.
After all my life living in nowhere , ( no regrets ) Boulder City works for me . I hate driving 30 miles for stainless bolts and screws, cause that's what I once did all the time. My summer place is just 4 miles from town , guess I finally arrived , been a long time coming....no thanks Quartzsite.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #69

Snowbird sites in Texas and Arizona

I'm subscribing to this for future park info!
We are fulltimer vagabonds and seldom go to the same parks twice. Exception is Diamond J in Tucson, great for a month each season.
We are not "crafters", instead we are adventurers. The thought of staying in the same park every winter, all winter is not appealing. Hey, happy hour happens everywhere!
Thanks for all of the great ideas!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #70
nap

I get a kick out of you guys who have $400,000 motor homes and want to live out on the desert because it's cheap ! there's absolutely nothing to do out there other than sit under your awning
We go to McAllen Texas So much to do and one of the safest small cities in the USA rate at number seven
nap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, texas