Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I get a kick out of you guys who have $400,000 motor homes and want to live out on the desert because it's cheap ! there's absolutely nothing to do out there other than sit under your awning
We go to McAllen Texas So much to do and one of the safest small cities in the USA rate at number seven
Seems to me that a lot of the folks boondocking don't do it for the $avings, more for the privacy (natural areas), space (no close neighbors), convenience (it's on the way), etc

That said, I've economized and lived frugally and "under my means" my whole life to be able to do the things I want to now, like owning a FT quality MH. I'm still not going to waste money, though.

Lastly, perhaps a portion of the other folks in the expensive looking RVs who ARE boondocking to save $ "need" to - maybe there's a high payment on the rig, or medical expenses wiped out their cushion?

Just things that occurred to me :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We go to AZ for the weather. We also use it as a home base and travel from there Ca, Phoenix, Tucson, Lake Havasu. This year hoping too get into Mexico. Just like when we are back at the S&B we are going somewhere. I don't mind just sitting still and enjoy a good book or the Motorhome Magazine's Or visiting with new friends. We spent 2 months in Quartzsite last winter and still didn't see everything.
Too each there own.
Tim

spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I get a kick out of you guys who have $400,000 motor homes and want to live out on the desert because it's cheap ! there's absolutely nothing to do out there other than sit under your awning
We go to McAllen Texas So much to do and one of the safest small cities in the USA rate at number seven
I can assure you that there are many RVers boondocking in the beautiful desert who don't do so to save money. They do so to escape environments such as crowded McAllen, TX. ...and how did you zero in on $400,000 - just because there are some large RVs that doesn't make them expensive. For instance, in Quartzsite, AZ you can find a spot away from everyone - really. You can do some ATVing, Jeeping, boating nearby, fishing, geocaching, hiking, awesome siteseeing in the nearby hills, gorgeous sunsets to enjoy with no one around, a campfire and listening to the coyotes; in general, outside, active things along with peacefulness, if desired. Everyone likes different things....and that's good.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #74

Like twogypsies I don't feel the need for adult day care. Most of the time we are in a park but love the desert. In the winter I prefer to stay in multiple areas as opposed to 4 months in one spot. Benson, Superstition Mountains, Congress, Quartzsite, Parker, Ajo and maybe another stop in or near Bensen. I carry a 3000 watt generator and two 35 gallon water tanks. That and some peace and quiet works for me.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #75

There ain't any form of camping that needs to be justified.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Spent a lotta days in the desert with a bunch of friendly folks. Having a campfire at night watching the desert wild life come in to see whats up having pot lucks and BBQ's. Some with a Prevost, some with just the minimum slidein, and a whole bunch of just plain nice people from all walks of life DOIN WHAT THEY WANT. Was by a fire one night when a guy was complaining about the cost of the and that, when one very unassuming guy in a reasonable truck and fiver says well I have to make a 100 grand a day to put a penny in my pocket and he wasn't telling stories. So one never knows about the next person. OH that wasn't me LOL.

LEN
Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #77

Meridian RV in Apache Junction is nice spot. Only 250 RV sites, no park models or people living there full time.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FHTV (Far Horizons Tucson Village) - Central Tucson

We have stayed at FHTV a few winters for several months at a time. We are city dwellers and during our winter months stays in the SW we wanted a location where we could walk to restaurants, shopping, access to public transportation, security, and be able to take advantage of the typical RV resort activities / clubs / social circles if we wanted to and using our tow vehicle explore via day trips to interesting spots. Wendy also volunteers for the free AARP / IRS TaxAide program and this central location works well for her. Wendy is also makes jewelry so this spot during the Gem Show is a real plus too. We have met several RVers and Park Model owners here that we continue to have ongoing non-FHTV based relationships with too. Most of the park is 'park models' but they have a many RV spots too, both gravel and concrete. It is not cheap, but for us and our desires was a good value. We do like 'camping' in our RV too though, and generally spend a month going /coming to/from the NW/SW.

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #79

I own a 10k trailer, and a 12k truck.

I have spent 65 years on this rock called Earth.. found out many times.. I do not FIT in any social setting. well in the N,E. USA .. cities or small towns.

now retired.. will try South Texas this winter... and will do Day trips to where ever I find attractive.

I need the parking/staying location to be LOW Cost.. as the fuel needed to get there Is High.... I will be spending $1,000 PLUS, just in fuel this winter, driving.

my most popular "T" shirt, stated....
beam me up Scotty, No Intelligent life down here.

and I am NOT a smart man. so No Need to go there.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #80

Large vs Small

Chuck_Hammer, there's a ton of places the RGV so you have lots of choices. Big may afford you the opportunity to fit in with some folks, but small may be more quiet and allow you to travel without as many prying eyes. The east end of the valley is closer to South Padre Island for gulf front solitude. Don't choose one of the parks with a big dance hall as they tend to attract the social types. Enjoy the warmth. Bob T
Old 09-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Spent a lotta days in the desert with a bunch of friendly folks. Having a campfire at night watching the desert wild life come in to see whats up having pot lucks and BBQ's. Some with a Prevost, some with just the minimum slidein, and a whole bunch of just plain nice people from all walks of life DOIN WHAT THEY WANT. Was by a fire one night when a guy was complaining about the cost of the and that, when one very unassuming guy in a reasonable truck and fiver says well I have to make a 100 grand a day to put a penny in my pocket and he wasn't telling stories. So one never knows about the next person. OH that wasn't me LOL.

LEN
So far I have not found things as you describe. Most of the RV parks, big and small , cheap and over expensive are full of folks that seem to know only their " friends" they ether winter with or come on down in a caravan. These places, all of the are very " clicks" and that's fine , it's human nature to be comfortable around people you know. We do not seem to attract these groupes , ether way.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 AM   #82

For Chuck Hammer----- Then Quartzsite may be just the place for ya if you desire to boondock. The BLM will only charge you $180 for all season. (that's NOT $180 a month - it's for all season.
Since the camping area is around 11,000 acres one can be as close or as far away from your neighbor as desired.
Also if you REally like the sun there's an area of about 80 acres that's designated and marked as clothing optional. And as someone else has said there's a great plenty to do if you want to get out and DO stuff.
Radioranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #83
nap

Of corse when you go to anew park that MAY Seem clicky but that's on your part I know at paradise park. In Mcallen they have a welcome Committee that make you feel very welcome
Within a few days you will be in the CLICK
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #84
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioranger View Post
For Chuck Hammer----- Then Quartzsite may be just the place for ya if you desire to boondock. The BLM will only charge you $180 for all season. (that's NOT $180 a month - it's for all season.
Since the camping area is around 11,000 acres one can be as close or as far away from your neighbor as desired.
Also if you REally like the sun there's an area of about 80 acres that's designated and marked as clothing optional. And as someone else has said there's a great plenty to do if you want to get out and DO stuff.
And the length and time of that season is................

Tags
arizona, texas