Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #85

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What are park models?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #86

Here's information on Quartzsite's BLM long-term camping season, etc.

La Posa LTVA - BLM Arizona

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsojr View Post
What are park models?
Park Models are stationary trailers. They aren't trailered from place to place. The are more permanent residences used for a whole season or even year-round. Many RV parks have lots of these and typicially they are parked close to each other in a row. Many traveling RVers in their own RVs don't particularly like parking in the midst of them...all you see is aluminum siding around you and the owners typically (not all) keep to themselves or with their own little groups of friends.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #88

park models

Park models are often what rvers choose when they decide to stop traveling and pick one spot to live, either seasonally or year round.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsojr View Post
What are park models?
Row after row of ticky tack that seems to be popular in the SW , Texas too., Fact is , many " parks" are more mobile Home type places when you really get down to it....somthing I have found to be increasing , or , it's that I did not get around all that much in the past.

For me , as a class one coach Dedicated folk for 30 plus years , I never really liked RV parks or grounds. First , I always had a 24 foot three axle enclosed car hauler trailer behind the Monaco. It was just too much hassle finding a place with a pull thru that could handle 74 foot of rolling steel,rubber,glass and plastic. Then further there was the time factor, the loss thereof hooking up hoses and electrical cords etc. , when pulling into Walmart was so easy and we could leave anytime we wanted ,,no,one cared the sounds of that Onan generator ether. In those days, we always had a place and a time to be somewhere, mostly vintage car events and tours. All this was before retirement , now I have no reason to be in a hurry, and stoping at a friendly RV park can seem kinda nice. Still there is a destination,,a place to be for the season , it's hard to break a 20 plus year lifestyle.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Park models are often what rvers choose when they decide to stop traveling and pick one spot to live, either seasonally or year round.
I find that hard to except. These trailers are mostly rented to transient workers and other folks who are lookin for a place to live in a working environment.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I find that hard to except. These trailers are mostly rented to transient workers and other folks who are lookin for a place to live in a working environment.
In certain gas/oil areas, yes, transient workers occupy some parks while working.

However, you won't find that kind of environment in the 'snowbird' areas of Texas or Arizona.

There, many of the Park Model are used by past full-timers who decided that's where they want to settle down once again or by yearly snowbirder's who don't want to haul their RV back and forth each season. They, therefore, purchase a Park Model as their vacation home. Former full-timers are very used to living in a small space and it suits them just fine. Many don't want to return to a regular house. Some even have a Park Model but still own a small RV for traveling occasionally.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning or renting a Park Model. It's easy upkeep, very reasonable and a carefree way of living. Most of the time it's not because people are down on their luck and are lacking money. It's because they enjoy the like types of people surrounding them, coming from all over the country and having similar interests. They become very good friends and care about each other.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #92

15 Sep to 15 April -- 7 months, I believe. The Long Term Visitor Areas "close" as such in the summer and the camping costs are considerably higher as the BLM is helping the area recover from the campers (so they say - perhaps it's really just too hot for them too...grin).
Radioranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post

This is not what I have found in the areas we stay in the SW. As mentioned already, maybe in certain areas this may be the case and maybe in certain kinds parks this may be the case. I have seen in some RV parks in CA that lengths of stay are extended to the point where seasonal workers can stay and this seems to have a negative affect on the visual appearence of the RV park in general. We frequent a couple of these kinds of parks on our way back and forth to the SW. If these are undesirable for one, they can easily be avoided by simple research into the length of stay allowed beforehand and/or just check them out in-route. These parks are not at all like the planned community style parks in the SW and S. Another aspect of these single wide Park Models, (in some states), is if they are under a certain footage they are not taxed as property.

The Hamptons, (Wally & Wendy)
NW Washington State
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Park Models are stationary trailers. They aren't trailered from place to place. The are more permanent residences used for a whole season or even year-round. Many RV parks have lots of these and typicially they are parked close to each other in a row. Many traveling RVers in their own RVs don't particularly like parking in the midst of them...all you see is aluminum siding around you and the owners typically (not all) keep to themselves or with their own little groups of friends.
There are also many of these Park Models in FL campgrounds. They are 35" in length and often have an enclosed porch or lanai attached. In the park we visit in the winter in Nokomis FL, Royal Coachman Resort, the park has many planned activities for the park model folks and we RVers are always welcome. We have seen no evidence of being excluded. I have heard that is not always the case in other parks, however.

Many of the Park Model owners are former RVers.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #95

At first look , and that is what I have discovered because of my seldom visits to RV " parks " , " park model" seems to be a code word. I know this is true , I have now seem them all over the SW. I can not confirm about Fl. As that hot,humid bug infested place was off my list long ago ( I lived there over 5 years and visited often after that, Key West mostly, which I do not consider Fl., yet , I have been told they have Airstream trailers for rent at very expensive RV " resorts" ) mostly because I decided the Blue Ridge Mtns. in NC more appealing.

I have nothing against mobile homes , in fact I lived in one many years ago when I first got married in the state of Iowa. It was new, including funature, worked for me as we had it moved several times around the state because of my jobs. I do know many towns and cities have restrictions when it comes to parking one of these motor less dwellings on a lot or even small farms. The days of the old trailer parks are coming to a close as most are not allowed to expand or even bring in any new units. The way I see it , I will travel in my coach, winter in it , and just generally work on it as it ages. What I won't do is live in a mobile home , unless , it has a motor and wheels , in which case it would not be called a trailer or motor home anymore. The term " park models " is truly a code word that RV/ mobile home parks are using to get around city and county laws and restrictions..
Old 09-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #96

This post comes at a good time for us, we are hoping to leave western NY close to the end of October. It will be out first trip, so total Newbies.
We are looking for a quiet dog friendly place maybe more country than city but to use as a base for travel in the Rio Grande Valley area, we don't need a park with lots to do.
Names of parks appreciated, we are so excited but also nervous so all help appreciated.

Carol K
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrkrovers View Post
This post comes at a good time for us, we are hoping to leave western NY close to the end of October. It will be out first trip, so total Newbies.
We are looking for a quiet dog friendly place maybe more country than city but to use as a base for travel in the Rio Grande Valley area, we don't need a park with lots to do.
Names of parks appreciated, we are so excited but also nervous so all help appreciated.

Carol K
Being new , why have you picked the " Valley" , Texas ? There are many more areas in AZ , NM., NV. However they are all desert places with low humidity. South Texas is not like that , more like Florida. ( I know these remarks are general, not specific, we all have our reasons for where we spend the Winter )
Old 09-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #98

we were going to head for Arizona first, then I had some health issues and my lung collapsed twice and they recommend I don't do elevation. I'm not sure if on my check up that will be dropped, but being cautious and looking for other options.
I feel lucky to be getting away anywhere right now!

Carol K

Tags
arizona, texas