Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #99

Altitude

Phoenix is not high. Many places in the southwest are at 1000 feet or thereabouts. The RGV is, of course, near sea level and there are more parks than you can count. And it's closer to western NY (diesel ain't free.)
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Phoenix is not high. Many places in the southwest are at 1000 feet or thereabouts. The RGV is, of course, near sea level and there are more parks than you can count. And it's closer to western NY (diesel ain't free.)
Buffalo to McAllan,Tx. Is 500 miles closer than to Phenoix. That could be as much as 2 days for some folks. For me it would be 200 miles closer to McAllan, and I am in the upper Midwest.Other than miles I would say the big factor is dry or humid. What I miss the most in the desert is trees, but that's just me.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #101

For the past 7 years I've lived/worked in Houston and Yuma. There are lots of places around Yuma to park an RV, but you do need to plan ahead. Quartzite is also popular. I like to be near the water, so I'm partial to Galveston Island. There is an RV park there right across the road from the beach. The park is all concrete, but there are great places to eat and you can always take a nice stroll on the beach for exercise.

Currently we're in Alabama and we will probably stay here for the next year or two, minimum.

Rob
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #102

I breath better in less humid conditions, and that why we originally said Arizona. I just thought we'd have to go too much elevation to be safe. I have my check up n the 20th so maybe by then I will know more.
The route across Texas and NM into Arizona reaches quite the elevation doesn't it?

Carol K
ckrkrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrkrovers View Post
we were going to head for Arizona first, then I had some health issues and my lung collapsed twice and they recommend I don't do elevation. I'm not sure if on my check up that will be dropped, but being cautious and looking for other options.
I feel lucky to be getting away anywhere right now!

Carol K
Most of the SW deserts are low elevations. Elevations never bothered me, but on our annual way back from Boulder City, Nv. We always stop for 2 weeks in Santa Fe. NM. Our favorate place on earth south of the Mason Dixon line. This past year I acquired altitude sickness. I'm at a loss why, good health ? So this year I will take the pills. There are three deserts, we have found Being on the Colorado River ( lake Mead ) the best of both worlds. .....and it's not much difference in temps in the dead of winter. If you take the most southern route , I-10 there are no real altitudes. Guess I spent too many years in Florida and the hot/humidity is hard to handle at 75. S Texas can 't be much difference than middle Florida. .......just giving you some things to consider.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #104

Here's an interesting site:

https://www.flattestroute.com/

However, if you're leaving Buffalo in the winter months I would head directly south to I-10.

The Tucson/Phoenix area is not high elevation.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #105
nap

Humidity in South Texas is not like Florida In the wintertime from October November December January February the weather is about normal
We have been going to McAllen Texas for the last 24 years
If you are a person that wants space there is a lot of campgrounds around there or RV parks with space we just happen to be right in McAllen
It's called Paradise Park Inc. it's a small park but a lot to do which we like We also go to other parks within the area
Also McAllen Texas last year was rated number seven has the smallest safest city in the USA
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #106

I wish to Thank everyone on the comments on South Texas... and the McAllen/Mission area...

I have reservations for Mission in November... never been to Texas.. and was getting concerned about Humidity.. wife has breathing issues.

and Plan to spend the winter in Texas if we like it there..
and its 1,700 miles for us. 4-5 days.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #107

To add my 2 cents. There is a great little resort about 30 minutes west of Phoenix on I10 in Buckeye Arizona. It's called Leaf Verde. Not huge by most standards but has a great group of people from all over the U.S. and Canada during the winter months. All of the activities that you could want, including a pool. You are only about 2 minutes from town but its quiet and relaxing.

We spent last winter there and will be going back again on Nov. 1 to spend the winter.
2andthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Humidity in South Texas is not like Florida In the wintertime from October November December January February the weather is about normal
We have been going to McAllen Texas for the last 24 years
If you are a person that wants space there is a lot of campgrounds around there or RV parks with space we just happen to be right in McAllen
It's called Paradise Park Inc. it's a small park but a lot to do which we like We also go to other parks within the area
Also McAllen Texas last year was rated number seven has the smallest safest city in the USA
Humidity in McAllan, Texas average 90 per cent, very humid. Phoenix is in the desert, very low. No comparison . Maybe dryer than Fla. in Texas depending where you are. South Fl., far south like Key West,and upper Keys , only sub tropical place in the US.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #109
nap

Yes summertime humidity is high
in October November December January and February humidity is about average
McAllen Texas is quit different from the rest of the Valley
If you travel to South Padre Island it is humid foggy and windy because you are on the golf of Mexico
Also if you go west northwest of McAllen you get out into mission Rio Grande city and it gets very hot and windy out there
McAllen,pharr, weslaco, Donna ,seem to be the best climate and the most things to do in the RGv
We like Harlingen also there is a lot to do in that area bass pro shop Only it does get foggy at times
Only thing I can possibly tell you is that the people in South Texas are Very friendly
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #110

Snowbird sites in Texas and Arizona

Average monthly humidity in McAllen Tx is pretty constant at almost 80%. I'm sure it's a fun area.
My arthritis loves very dry.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474123278.826648.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	139171
https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...tes-of-America
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #111

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Tucson is over 2,000 ft elevation, which might be too high for some sea-level dwellers with altitude susceptibility, while Phoenix is around 1,000 ft. elevation. like Atlanta, but most of the surrounding metro area is higher, up to 2,000 ft +. The main issue causing altitude sickness is the dehydration that accompanies the decrease in Oxygen levels, along with people making the biggest change in their elevation too quickly. If you drive to Colorado Springs (our home), at 6,000 ft elevation, you are likely to acclimatize yourself slowly enough to do okay, but then if you go up Pikes Peak the next day by car or the Cog Railway, another 8,000 ft. climb in a couple hours, you have greatly increased your chances of getting altitude sickness. To counter the dehydration you have to greatly increase your intake of water (NOT alcohol - it is a desiccant), more difficult for people from sea-level and humid climates to accomplish. I have told visitors to drink enough water that they find themselves having to use the restroom a LOT more than they are used to, at least initially, in order to lessen their chances for altitude sickness. That being said, sometimes you get it anyway, and then the only way to stop it is to get downhill asap. So most people will probably do well driving to Tucson or the Phoenix area, setting up, and taking it easy for a few days while drinking a lot of water.
carlsojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #112

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
BTW, thanks to all of those who answered my question about what a park model is. I haven't seen many but now I realize have have seen some.
carlsojr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, texas