Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #113

I've never heard of folks getting altitude sickness in Tucson or Phoenix.

It usually begins to happen (if ever it does) around 5,000'. We have stayed in parks at 9,000' and I have no problems. However, if a hike takes us up to 9500' or higher, I just can't do it. As soon as I return to 9,000' I'm just fine. (I'm 75 yr. young)

As stated, you will be driving to Tucson/Phoenix and just by doing that you are slowly being acclimated to a little higher altitude so when you arrive you will be just fine. However, don't over exert yourself the first couple days and always drink lots of water. After a few days you can test yourself by siteseeing gradually a little higher to see how you do. Just doing a small trail from your campground can give you the test. If you feel bad just turn around and it'll be over. It's not a big deal if you catch yourself feeling different right away. It becomes a problem if you stay at that altitude for a long time. All you need to do is to get lower and the feelings go away.

One thing about traveling in a RV....you have wheels....just move.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #114

Phoenix is 1,086 feet and Tucson is 2,388 feet in elevation.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #115

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, so don't go up to the top of Mt. Lemmon your first day in Tucson.I never experienced it until a trip to Durango, up the railroad. I suspect I was dehydrated. It was unexpected, because we live in Colorado Springs. So I stay hydrated as much as I can remember to because I live out here inthe desert west. When we're in Ouray, we stay hydrated because of the altitude.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #116

There really is no rime or reason to altitude sickness , it's a lot like sea sickness, can be had by all, many a ships captain can tell you......however it is to a degree what you are used to of coarse . I lived 20 years st 5,000 in the Blue Ridge Mtns, NC. Spent 10 days above 9,000 in Colorado , on and on for so many years as well as being an old sailor, lived aboard my boat for 5 years at 0. ! Who knows, when it's your time, it's your time.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #117

shortness of breath

15+years ago I had a del. to Springerville, Az. 1100 ft. Felt fine, then suddenly wheezed and had to catch my breath every 20 min. or so. Locals had a good laugh. Most won't notice below 3000 ft, then air starts to thin. There'a campground book that includes elevation. Can't remember name.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #118

Vintage RV Owners Club
My two cents........ Tombstone Territories RV Resort just outside of Sierra Vista, AZ (located on highway 82 near Tombstone) .... look it up.... excellent place. ... a little hard to get into later in the fall.... it completely fills up.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
15+years ago I had a del. to Springerville, Az. 1100 ft.
Springerville, AZ is around 7,000' elevation, not 1100'
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #120

Why CA when AZ is so close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I know you said Tucson but might you conceder Yuma? We had a very nice stay last season and are going back to the same place just outside (3miles) of Yuma in Winterhaven Ca,
Check them out.
Tim
I've lived in CA over 60 years (my whole life) and can't understand why anyone would come here. With the excessive regulations, oppressive laws, high cost of living and little hope for improvement in my lifetime, we're leaving. Arizona is our most likely destination.
jsl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #121

We are talking about two different things here. Altitude sickness can be a serious thing, it's not the same thing as " adjusting" to different elevations. Shortness of breath can be caused by climbing stairs, one more reason I always try to take the stairs and not the elevator in any building less than five stories.i lived at 5,000 ft in NC for 18 years and my house was 5 story spiral staircase ( tower like ! No elevator ). I live on a short mountain now in upper Michigan overlooking Lake Superior 1300 ft three miles down range to 600 ft lake shore , always walking up hill it seems , yet , Last year for the first time Santa Fe at 8500, after 4 days , I developed some form of altitude sickness.....it abated once we got down to 2,000 ft at the Texas border.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #122

Springerville

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Springerville, AZ is around 7,000' elevation, not 1100'
Wasn't actually in town. If it was only 7000 ft, they still had a good laugh.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #123

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We are talking about two different things here. Altitude sickness can be a serious thing, it's not the same thing as " adjusting" to different elevations. Shortness of breath can be caused by climbing stairs, one more reason I always try to take the stairs and not the elevator in any building less than five stories.i lived at 5,000 ft in NC for 18 years and my house was 5 story spiral staircase ( tower like ! No elevator ). I live on a short mountain now in upper Michigan overlooking Lake Superior 1300 ft three miles down range to 600 ft lake shore , always walking up hill it seems , yet , Last year for the first time Santa Fe at 8500, after 4 days , I developed some form of altitude sickness.....it abated once we got down to 2,000 ft at the Texas border.
Yes, it can be debilitating. My incident on the train to Silverton, as well as my son's (my wife was unaffected) was quite painful. Aspirin and lots of water helped us feel better but it didn't abate until we returned to Durango. Never had it before or since. The waiting to go to a yet higher elevation helps only if you spend that time hydrating, which is the main part of my advice to visitors to Colorado.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Being new , why have you picked the " Valley" , Texas ? There are many more areas in AZ , NM., NV. However they are all desert places with low humidity. South Texas is not like that , more like Florida. ( I know these remarks are general, not specific, we all have our reasons for where we spend the Winter )
Texas is nothing like Florida
Old 09-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapamayor View Post
Texas is nothing like Florida
Texas is a big state, and for that matter so is Florida if you compare Key West to places in the Panhandle. The most common thing both states have is latitude and being on the Gulf. Far south coastal Texas has a lot in common with south Florida weather wise. That's as it should be considering the latitude, I am sure the largest reason people winter in both areas is to get away from cold climates up north. If you look at long range averages it's easy to see the connection, however, year to year changes do effect how some look at the climate and their personal experiences. The same goes for the desert states, lots in common because they share desert conditions , then again year to year changes can and do come to play as well. It's tough finding a place that has constant weather that does not change much , especially when you are driving there......
Old 09-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #126

only location I can think of that has stable/repeatable weather. year round. .
..... is the equator ....

6 weeks I depart for South Texas. waiting, waiting, waiting
. never been there.

Wife Needs to stop viewing Border Wars.. on television.

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, texas