Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

Snowbirding to AZ with out reservations?

Planning our second snow-bird trip, this time to Arizona and was wondering how many RVers go to AZ with out any preplanned reservations.

There are a many places we want to go and see and would like to stay or go at our own pace or does this sound like a terrible idea?

Rob and Donna
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the snowbirds we know make reservations. That said- most of these people go to only one or two destinations between Nov. and April every year. There are lots of options here and they all have advantages. You can boondock in many areas for less than $30.00 in a month on BLM land. We own a lot in Lake Havasu and have rented it out to snowbirds every year since '08. They call and start making reservations usually a year in advance. Spaces in full featured rv resorts are becoming hard to get unless you can commit yourself early. I can't speak for the areas around Tucson and Phoenix but I suspect it's the same scenario. I know Yuma is this way too. Havasu State Park is a wonderful spot with many spaces right on the lake. Last year they added many full hook spots and barely increased their rates...averaging about $45.00 per night now.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Opposite here, we never made reservations in there last 8 years. No problems except for special occasions in a given area, like baseball in spring Phoenix area, tennis in Palm Springs think it's February. Or a particular Park at a peek period. There are so many parks there should be no problem. We were large 63' and wanted pull throughs and had a problem because we wanted to be at a place and time only once or twice. It can be a pain to have reservations for a time when the weather can be a major factor, winds, flooding YES in the desert. Azerbaijan is large sand you can go from Sun burn to snow in a few hours.

LEN

LEN
Old 06-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

If you're looking to move around a lot and not staying in one place for months, then, yes, you can do so without reservations.

All of the state parks can handle big rigs. Around the Phoenix area are the Maricopa County Parks which are awesome. Gilbert Ray Campground of Tucson Regional Park is a lovely spot with lots of hiking nearby and also the Tucson Desert Museum and Saguaro West - Nat'l Park.

There are tons of private parks. If you haven't been in Arizona be watchful of elevation. For winter you probably won't want to go further north than the greater Phoenix area or the Roosevelt Lake area (Cholla national forest service campground is very nice). Then west of Phoenix to Wickenberg (cooler, but doable) and over to Havasu along the Colorado River and down to Yuma. South of Phoenix is o.k. over to Benson (again, cooler, but doable). Try some days at Quartzsite mid-January just to see what it's all about. Boondocking in the desert. Pick your spot and park it. Be aware there are long-term areas for a fee and 14-day areas which are free.

We've done this with our 40' motorhome. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
FYI....we spent the month of February at a mid range park in Tucson this winter,loved it. Driving around in the toad sightseeing one day, pulled into an "upscale" RV resort. Just for drill went by the office to talk about winter 2016. Remember this was this February, they wanted a 30 day deposit in advance, like right then.....and they would NOT commit to which site we would be able to reserve. They would have to let us know where we would be sometime late this fall. Da? The folks that were already there had the right to book next year, we would be assigned a lot after that process was complete. I didn't ask if my deposit would be refunded if we didn't like we're we were assigned.

P.S. A neighbor,at our mid range park had been there 8 weeks.....wanted to extend another week, and was denied and had to find another park. He was upset, but they book them to capacity.

P.P.S. I toldthe story about the upscale park.....there were a bunch of parks that were pretty rough, rigs jammed together, junkie,small laundromat, office, no pool, no landscape, gravel,sand, and dirt.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're looking to move around a lot and not staying in one place for months, then, yes, you can do so without reservations.

All of the state parks can handle big rigs. Around the Phoenix area are the Maricopa County Parks which are awesome. Gilbert Ray Campground of Tucson Regional Park is a lovely spot with lots of hiking nearby and also the Tucson Desert Museum and Saguaro West - Nat'l Park.

There are tons of private parks. If you haven't been in Arizona be watchful of elevation. For winter you probably won't want to go further north than the greater Phoenix area or the Roosevelt Lake area (Cholla national forest service campground is very nice). Then west of Phoenix to Wickenberg (cooler, but doable) and over to Havasu along the Colorado River and down to Yuma. South of Phoenix is o.k. over to Benson (again, cooler, but doable). Try some days at Quartzsite mid-January just to see what it's all about. Boondocking in the desert. Pick your spot and park it. Be aware there are long-term areas for a fee and 14-day areas which are free.

We've done this with our 40' motorhome. Have a great trip!
Awesome information!! Yes, Quartzsite for the Big Tent Show is on the list.

Thanks,

Robby
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
FYI....we spent the month of February at a mid range park in Tucson this winter,loved it. Driving around in the toad sightseeing one day, pulled into an "upscale" RV resort. Just for drill went by the office to talk about winter 2016. Remember this was this February, they wanted a 30 day deposit in advance, like right then.....and they would NOT commit to which site we would be able to reserve. They would have to let us know where we would be sometime late this fall. Da? The folks that were already there had the right to book next year, we would be assigned a lot after that process was complete. I didn't ask if my deposit would be refunded if we didn't like we're we were assigned.

P.S. A neighbor,at our mid range park had been there 8 weeks.....wanted to extend another week, and was denied and had to find another park. He was upset, but they book them to capacity.

P.P.S. I toldthe story about the upscale park.....there were a bunch of parks that were pretty rough, rigs jammed together, junkie,small laundromat, office, no pool, no landscape, gravel,sand, and dirt.
I had last years trip all planned out with reservations the whole way because I wanted to make sure our first trip went with out a hitch ...and it did. I hate not knowing what I don't know.

Thanks for your reply,

Robby