Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
snowmobiling and skiing at Chena Lakes

We got the MH out to see how it can do in the winter weather now that it has warmed up some. Camped at Chena Lakes Rec Area near North Pole, Alaska. It got down to -22F on Friday night, but was a gorgeous day on Saturday, and only got down to -2F on Sat night. We rode our snowmobiles, went ice fishing in the lake and caught a few rainbow trout and one arctic char. Ice thickness about 40" so I was glad to have a gas auger. The camping loops are closed, so we parked by ourselves in the main parking lot.

akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Warm days and cool nights" is my mantra, but I AM curious. What's it like camping in temps that low? What's the average temp inside your MH? What kind of furnace do you run? Have you done any additional insulating? Do you have to have any kind of block heater to get the coach started? Your pics are good and it looks like a beautiful place - it's just that my brain locks up somewhere around +20 degrees.

Ray & Mary
aka Flotsam & Jetsam, The Wandrin' Waters
"Not all who wander are lost."
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Drove thru Chena Rec Rv park back in Aug of 08'. My sister-n-law lives one exit west of there in Santa Claus Estates. We visit them about every 3rd year. I notice a good deal of people have RV's in that section of Alaska. Do people in that area do a lot of weekend camping? When we retire, plan to spend a good deal of a summer up there. Been to Valdez, Chena Hot Springs, Denali, Kenai and as far north as Circle.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
We keep the thermostat set to 65 inside. We made insulated window quilts for all the windows using "warm window" thermal material. They have a nice website. We have the factory 35K propane furnace and 4 12v batteries. We run the genny about 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours before bed mainly for charging the batteries. Whenever the genny is running, we have an electric heater or two running. At night we use a buddy heater to supplement the heat and save further on battery use. Also plug in an electric blanket to warm the bed while the genny is running in the evening. I don't have a block heater on the engine of the MH, any colder and I don't take it out. Our cars have block heater, oil pan heater, transmission pan heater and trickle charger installed to help with starting in temps below -20.
There are lots of RV's around here, of every type and price range. Many used for weekend camping, hunting and fishing. Most are stored until around May. Next weekend there will be a few thousand RV's in the mountains between Fairbanks and Valdez for a skiing/snowmobile race called Arctic Man, all boondocking.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Well, you sure know how to get us lower 48 snowmobile riders upset.
most state trails here in the midwest officially closed April 1st. last time I was out was February. oh well, it's time to put them to bed for another season.

scenery looks super ---- take an extra ride for me.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
We are in Montana and we would love to take our snow mobiles out in the winter, but are in a quandry about things freezing up and getting all the gear dry for the next day's riding. However, if its below zero there isn't much freezing going on! Glad your MH is a true 4 season rig!

2008 26' Springdale
Sea Eagle Foldcat 440
JoHenry is offline   Reply With Quote