Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

So cal beaches

So I am trying to find some beaches to camp at. Everything is SOLD out! Any tips on how to get a reservation for the summer time? Or any that are first come first serve. We would like to be Ventura to San Diego. We live in Orange County. Have a 34 ft gulf stream Yellowstone super C

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

We've been searching for the same thing. Couple places we've tried so far...

- Jalama Beach - North of where you want to go, but worth it if you can get a spot. First come, first serve, hookups and dry camping spots, no cell reception, fairly rough windy road but awesome place to spend a weekend.

- Bolsa Chica - Can accomodate your rig no problem, more like a parking lot at the beach but it's right at the sand. Was full last weekend when we went by.

- Malibu RV Park - on the bluff with awesome views, not really great beach access but the views are what you stay there for. Fairly noisy with PCH below you.

- Ocean Mesa in Santa Barbara - near El Capitan state park, mile or so walk to the beach, very nice park with great spaces, full hookups, etc.

My wife and I are in the Pasadena area for a couple years and started exploring in November when we picked up our rig. Also interested in hearing suggestions. Heading out this weekend but haven't decided where, probably on the coast somewhere within a 3 hr radius of LA.

Chris

Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Hi StacyC,

I wish you luck in your search. I live in SoCal, and people make their reservations for a beach campsite a year in advance. If you start calling now, you might get lucky and find some sites that are available at the end of summer 2012. (For summer 2013 make reservations now.)

Have you thought of maybe moving your trip to Fall or even early winter? September & October are usually warmest months of the year (and sunsets at their most brilliant!). Even during winter it'll mostly be something like 65-75 degrees.

Hopefully I didn't throw water on your plans. :-)
It's just the way it is in SoCal -- not enough space for too many people.

Two last things:

1). Take a look at the CalParks app (free download on iTunes). You can't make reservations through it, but it does have lots of info on all the state parks. Maybe it'll give you ideas on different parks to visit.

2). If you plan to camp in or visit several California state parks within one year, then I'd suggest buying a pre-paid "park pass." It'll save you some money on the day use and camping fees that the state parks charge. Here's the link to the State Parks site:
http://www.parks.ca.gov

My fingers are crossed for you! I sincerely hope that your summer plans come together. Please keep us posted on your progress. :-)
Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not everything is sold out:
We like San Onofre State Beach:
San Onofre SB

And it's fun to look for other locations here:
California State Parks
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonLover
Hi StacyC,

I wish you luck in your search. I live in SoCal, and people make their reservations for a beach campsite a year in advance. If you start calling now, you might get lucky and find some sites that are available at the end of summer 2012. (For summer 2013 make reservations now.)

Have you thought of maybe moving your trip to Fall or even early winter? September & October are usually warmest months of the year (and sunsets at their most brilliant!). Even during winter it'll mostly be something like 65-75 degrees.

Hopefully I didn't throw water on your plans. :-)
It's just the way it is in SoCal -- not enough space for too many people.

Two last things:

1). Take a look at the CalParks app (free download on iTunes). You can't make reservations through it, but it does have lots of info on all the state parks. Maybe it'll give you ideas on different parks to visit.

2). If you plan to camp in or visit several California state parks within one year, then I'd suggest buying a pre-paid "park pass." It'll save you some money on the day use and camping fees that the state parks charge. Here's the link to the State Parks site:
http://www.parks.ca.gov

My fingers are crossed for you! I sincerely hope that your summer plans come together. Please keep us posted on your progress. :-)
We live in so cal and have friends who wait on hold for hours! We just bought the RV our house burnt down a month ago. So I am trying to find places to take kids on the weekends. The rebuild will take about a year! And they will be back in school September. Just thought maybe by a miracle one of you would have a great tip! LoL
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
Not everything is sold out:
We like San Onofre State Beach:
San Onofre SB

And it's fun to look for other locations here:
California State Parks
I checked San onofre I thought it said sold out? I will check again. Is it over night?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyC View Post
I checked San onofre I thought it said sold out? I will check again. Is it over night?
Yes, It's overnight.

Did you click on the "ONLINE RESERVATIONS" button?...
Then sort by "RV/Trailer Only."
There are TONS of "A's" (A = Available on the calendar). Maybe you are looking at specific dates that I didn't check?

Good luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried RV Park in Huntington Beach - Huntington by the Sea
In Huntington Beach at Newland and PCH. Just walk across PCH to get to the beach.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088

Yes, It's overnight.

Did you click on the "ONLINE RESERVATIONS" button?...
Then sort by "RV/Trailer Only."
There are TONS of "A's" (A = Available on the calendar). Maybe you are looking at specific dates that I didn't check?

Good luck
We were looking for weekends in particular. I will check again. Is this one on the water? Like sand bumbs up to the parking lot "camping area"

Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer
Have you tried RV Park in Huntington Beach - Huntington by the Sea
In Huntington Beach at Newland and PCH. Just walk across PCH to get to the beach.
No. I will look at it. Kinda want to be at the water. We live fairly close to the beach, so would prefer being on the water. Thank you thou!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #11

Actually, it's not too hard to do if you know the secret...

Simply show up at the park at reservation limit time, and VERY often the reserving party hasn't shown up. If you're there, and they aren't; you get their campsite. If that time is 4:00, and you're there, you get their spot. If they show up at 4:10, and someone has nabbed their spot, too bad. There is also one SoCal beach state park that usually has spots open, as well as two municipal beach parks, but you'll have to figure that out yourself. Can't give all our secrets out at once...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We were just at Carlsbad state beach. The sign always read full, but there were alwyas spaces open. They would all accommodate your rig. The reservation window for the state park cg is 6 months. Reserving online is as good as sitting on hold. Good luck.
Montanacraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist
Actually, it's not too hard to do if you know the secret...

Simply show up at the park at reservation limit time, and VERY often the reserving party hasn't shown up. If you're there, and they aren't; you get their campsite. If that time is 4:00, and you're there, you get their spot. If they show up at 4:10, and someone has nabbed their spot, too bad. There is also one SoCal beach state park that usually has spots open, as well as two municipal beach parks, but you'll have to figure that out yourself. Can't give all our secrets out at once...
Thanks! Can you email me the names or something?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyC View Post
We were looking for weekends in particular. I will check again. Is this one on the water? Like sand bumbs up to the parking lot "camping area"

Thanks for the tips!
There are dunes between the water's edge and the camp sites. Usually at San O, there's a strong on-shore so the wind break is welcome.

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV