Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Thumbs up So. California to Mt Rushmore 4 Weeks w/ 3 kids

Ok My fellow RV friends. We've got a another fun trip coming up and I'd love to get any feedback on Things to Do, Places to go and awesome parks to stay at.

Here is the scoop!

We are driving our 2014 45' Entgra Anthem towing our 2016 Cadillac Escalade so we are big and able to get around. My wife and I have very cool 3 girls ages 7, 9 and 11 who are very active. Looking to show them National Monuments, Landmarks and culture as well as fun things to do that every person would love to. We do a 4 week trip every year so we try to pick a different root everytime so we can explore places and see new things. I have heard that Mt. Rushmore is a "see it once and go" kind of a thing but we need to "see it once" LOL all the same.

Looking for Bucket List ideas to add to the trip.

So here is the route we are taking: (NOTE, we bypased the 5 Utah Parks and Yellowstone on purpose as we did those in 2013 & 2014.)

So. California to the Grand Canyon. Take the Train in for the tour into the Canyon. Stay there for 2 nights and then back on the road.
From there up the 150 to Mesa Verde through the Four Corners to Mesa Verde RV Resort, Mancos Colorado for 3 nights and do some white water rafting.
The in Colorado to Canon City to see the Gorge and Bridge for 3 nights.
Up to Colorado Springs on the 25 to stay at Mountain View RV Resort for 3 nights.
Then to Rocky Mountain National Park to stay at Elk Meadow Lodge & RV Resort Elk Meadow - www.essentialcoloradorv.com for 2 nights.
From there we head up to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and stuff and stay at Mt Rushmore KOA Hill City, South Dakota Campground | Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch for 3 nights.

Now from here it seems to get a little bit boring like we are traveling through what seems to be.... not much. I want to get back to the Northern CA area to attend the California State Fair so my path east takes me on the WY-450 to Casper Wyoming KOA https://koa.com/campgrounds/casper/ (1 night) and then we thought we would hit Flaming Gorge Flaming Gorge Resort - Dutch John, Utah (1 night). On this stretch its just to move distance I suppose. Cant think of what todo there or a better way. Then into
Heber City Mountain Valley RV where we hope to do some hot air balloon rides and stay for 3 nights.

Continue East and stop at Iron Hourse RV Resort for 2 nights Iron Horse RV Resort - Elko, NV RV Park Nevada and finally to the California State Fair for 3 nights at SacWest RV Park & Campground - Home. As we head down south we will end the trip at Paso Robles for 4 nights https://www.sunrvresorts.com/Community/WIC and then home.

Ok. This is our Summer 2016 trip that we are doing. I'd love any thoughts, suggestions on things to so and places to go. Alternate routes or things and more importantly... BUCKET LIST STUFF that is in the area that we are passing through.

Thanks a million. Love you guys!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

Wow. Lucky girls. They'll see plenty on this trip. When in the Rushmore area, a drive thru Custer Natl PK on the Needles highway is interesting.
At heber city, don't bother riding the tourist train. It goes about a mile to a dead end then backs up to the start. Estes PK CO is nice. Good drive up to the tourist center at the top. Elk everywhere.
Enjoy your trip.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctormdj View Post
3 girls ages 7, 9 and 11 who are very active. Looking to show them National Monuments, Landmarks and culture as well as fun things to do that every person would love to.

We do a 4 week trip

Looking for Bucket List ideas to add to the trip.

So. California to the Grand Canyon.
Take the Train in for the tour into the Canyon.
Stay there for 2 nights and then back on the road.

From there up the 150 to Mesa Verde through the Four Corners to Mesa Verde RV Resort, Mancos Colorado
for 3 nights and do some white water rafting.

The in Colorado to Canon City to see the Gorge and Bridge for 3 nights.
Up to Colorado Springs on the 25 to stay at Mountain View RV Resort for 3 nights.
Then to Rocky Mountain National Park to stay at Elk Meadow Lodge & RV Resort Elk Meadow - www.essentialcoloradorv.com for 2 nights.

This Middle week IMHO, would be more fun if you were to Run up through Buena Vista and the Collegiates - Water, Arkansas River - Turquoise Lake - Twin Lakes and just more to see and do. Independence Pass, possible day trip to Aspen and Maroon Bells the girls will all love this.

Then head up to Grand Lake before catching RMNP.

From there we head up to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and stuff and stay at Mt Rushmore KOA Hill City, South Dakota Campground | Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch for 3 nights.

Be sure to get to Jewell Cavern in the Black Hills.

Now from here it seems to get a little bit boring like we are traveling through what seems to be.... not much. I want to get back to the Northern CA area to attend the California State Fair so my path east takes me on the WY-450 to Casper Wyoming KOA https://koa.com/campgrounds/casper/ (1 night) and then we thought we would hit Flaming Gorge

Think about Dino NM but that's more of a boys thing?

Flaming Gorge Resort - Dutch John, Utah (1 night). On this stretch its just to move distance I suppose. Cant think of what todo there or a better way. Then into
Heber City Mountain Valley RV where we hope to do some hot air balloon rides and stay for 3 nights.

Girls will love Park City on the way out - lots to do in the Summer there.

Continue East and stop at Iron Hourse RV Resort for 2 nights Iron Horse RV Resort - Elko, NV RV Park Nevada and finally to the California State Fair for 3 nights at SacWest RV Park & Campground - Home. As we head down south we will end the trip at Paso Robles for 4 nights https://www.sunrvresorts.com/Community/WIC and then home.

I'd love any thoughts, suggestions on things to so and places to go. Alternate routes
Thanks a million. Love you guys!!
Inserted a few thoughts - sounds like a great trip.

Busskipper
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
In Wyoming, we really enjoyed this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...a_5crLT-UIgjGa

It's the Buffalo Bill & Wild West museum in Cody. It's very interesting, but I'm bias cuz I'm a museum nut.
It's all about the West, Indian heritage, a diorama of the Lewis and Clark expedition, history of guns... don't underestimate that...your daughters might just love it. They have reeeeely old guns and stuff, pirate guns, blunderbusses, and things I never even knew existed. My husband and I had a great time there.

We also stayed at "Devil's Tower" campground in Wyoming. Now without looking at a map of where you've planned to go, and it's been years since we were there....I hope I'm telling you about areas you're considering and will be fairly close to anyway.
The campground at Devil's Tower is really nice. Not all high tech like an RV resort, kinda sprawled-out. But what a great place to camp...with the tower view out your RV windows.
We were there on July 4th about 11 years ago this year. They do a firework show there....as we couldn't get to Rushmoore in time, and I hear it's almost impossible to get there on the fourth unless you plan way ahead...
It started off rather slowly. We thought this 'lil campground might not be able to afford much and thought nothing of it, happy to be outdoors in good weather. Then about 9:10, 10 minutes into a small firework display,....OMG!!
They put on a show that would make Disneyland look like a sparkler-fest!
It was the most impressive firework show we've seen before or since.

Another venue we thoroughly enjoyed, while in the 4 corner area in Jackson Hole, we took in a dinner show with a ranching group called the Bar-J-Wranglers. A fun, family-oriented musical show that adults and kids alike are likely to love. We though they were worth driving out of our way to see, so this year as we travel toward the East coast to the Smithsonian Inst., we are making plans to go there again.

Sorry for the book, HTH, and hope you have a wonderful time!
sharonlb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california