Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Somewhere North of Bishop on 395

Dang if the memory is not being supported when I look a the map!!!

3 years ago, we spent a warm evening in Bishop along 395. The next day we drove North, and I remember climbing a long grade, and seeing off to the right an RV Park with pine trees, that was on a ridge. It had a great view to the South, and being able to see the East side of the Southern Sierras Range.

Seemed to me we went by this place within 1-2 hours after leaving Bishop. And I thought it was South of 120 Lee Vining.

Does anyone who may know 395 better then me, recall an RV Park nestled in pine trees on a ridge, overlooking the valley/flatlands towards Bishop area?

Thanks! Now, where did I put my coffee...
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

Sorry, Smitty. I drive 395 between Carson City, NV and Bishop, CA at least once a month. For the life of me, I can't come up with any location that matches your description.

There's a fine campground at the Millpond Recreation area, just north of Bishop, but it's on the west side of the highway. There's another one north of Crowley Lake on Benton Crossing Road. That's on the east side, but there are absolutely no pine trees there.

Between there and lee Vining, there are several USFS campgrounds, none of which offer much of a view to the south, and certainly not as far as Bishop.

I don't know what to tell you, but good luck with your search!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

I wonder if he might be thinking of Boulder Creek RV Resort.

Home
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Maybe, but that's south of Lone Pine. They do have pine trees, though!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

There is a campground at Lake Crowley on the right of 395 north bound, north of the long grade!

Stayed there last year.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I lived in Bishop for some time, and believe the grade you're referring to is just north of Bishop, called Sherwin Summit. Toward the top is a resort called Tom's Place. Not sure if they have RV sites, but it seems to fit your recollection. There are a few other places, such as McGee Creek and Rock Creek. They have RV sites, but it doesn't sound like what you're describing. Crowley Lake is just off 395, and there are RV sites located there. None of the latter sites have a view toward Bishop that lets you see the town.

Not sure that helps...hope I can find my coffee too!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

I thought of Tom's Place, but they've never had an RV park there, at least as long as I've been visiting. (since 1976) How long ago were you there, Smitty?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just an added thought. At the top of Sherwin Summit and close to Tom's Place, there are cabins, and probably rv's along the right side of the highway going North. Maybe the OP mistook those to be an rv park.

There is a "campground" going up the road from Tom's Place heading for Rock Creek that does (if memory serves me correctly) have a view of the Bishop basin area.

Once past Tom's Place, the Bishop basin area is no longer visible.

I can't think of any "rv park" past Bishop that is off to the right of 395 until you get to Minden/Gardnerville area. Even the park at Lee Vining is on the left. Both Mammoth and June Lake have rv parks, but are not on the right side of the highway and no way can you see to the south.

I think the OP is mistaken on this memory and is thinking of some other place.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #9

So, I found my coffee....

Thanks all! Sherwin Summit fits my memory, it was three years ago. Very possible I saw RV's and mistook it for an RV park.

My BIL is driving up 395 on Sunday, and will spend the night in Bishop. He said he'd take a look for me as he climbs Sherwin Summit.

We're going to spend a few days in Brenton Hot Springs on our way out of Yosemite. Then wanted to spend a few more days as we worked our way Southeast on the Eastern side of the Sierras. Will look into either Pine Cliff Resorts by June Lake, or Crowley Lake...

Appreciate all your help. If I do see it on the way South, I'll update what I was thinking about!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Small world! We'll be at Benton Hot Springs over the Fourth of July Weekend.

If you see Bill and Diane, the owners, tell them that Silver Bob and Michelle said "Hi". On second thought, they might charge you double!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Small world! We'll be at Benton Hot Springs over the Fourth of July Weekend.

If you see Bill and Diane, the owners, tell them that Silver Bob and Michelle said "Hi". On second thought, they might charge you double!
We'll see if your tab is still opened, and keep it exercised to be sure it's in good shape for you on the 4th!!!!

We 'hope' to be in Zion for the 4th - but dang if they don't fill up fast this time of year!!!

Have fun, travel safe,
Smitty
Old 06-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #12

It has been a few years too long since we have been over Sherwin Summit but I seem to remember a Caltrans yard off to the right in the trees. I am thinking there were a few rv's there too. They were probably owned by the workers.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seems like the June Lake area would be about 1-2 hours north of Bishop and there are pines and RV CG's there. Back on the June Lake Loop. Mammoth Lakes also has several CG's.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #14

Check out OH! Ridge at June Lake if you can handle no hookups. Great views looking south over the lake. We prefer OH Ridge over Pine Cliffs. Seems to crowded for us but many many folks like it.