Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #1

South Carolina winter

We're thinking of staying for the winter in Myrtle Beach, SC. For anyone who's done it, what's in store for us? Will I need heat wrap? Unhook water hose? Any fear of tanks freezing? What's the skinny???
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #2

Ramets-

We spent a week with a friend in MB last January. We saw daytime temps in the 40s to low 60s. He stayed all season, and sent regular weather reports to us. Overnight temps can drop into the 30s. He connected his heater hose just to ensure no problems.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We're thinking of staying for the winter in Myrtle Beach, SC. For anyone who's done it, what's in store for us? Will I need heat wrap? Unhook water hose? Any fear of tanks freezing? What's the skinny???

Here is the "skinny" from an old fat guy!

It can get cold but it's generally a short event. We stayed at Hilton Head the week between Christmas and New Year's Day once. I had to get out the ladder & chip the ice off my slide toppers before I could pull in the slides to leave.

On any given winter, you might see a low in the teens with a warm up to above freezing next day. The mid Atlantic states are pretty variable weather wise. I stay in East Tennessee close to Gatlinburg some winters and I must prepare for temp down to zero. If I wintered in coastal SC, I would just make sure I kept a full fresh tank and empty holding tanks if the forecast was for a day or two of sub freezing weather. Unhook the water hose. Perhaps put a trouble light with an incandescent bulb or a very small space heater in the wet bay. Turn off the water pump when you got to bed. If your under sink areas get cold, then open the cabinet doors at night. It won't stay cold long enough for tanks to freeze. There are likely to be weeks of highs in the 50s & lows in the upper 30s.

In coastal SC and the over night temp is going to be a couple of degrees below freezing, no prep is required.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

We lived in Beaufort, SC. In the winter you can have cold spells that last for days. During the December to February time period we often experienced long stretches where the daytime temps were in the mid 50's to low 60's. Nighttime temps were often in the mid to high 30's. Outside water connections can freeze if the temperatures drop below freezing. And they do. Hope this helps. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not think you will have a problem in Myrtle Beach.. But if the mercury does drop simply fill your on-board supply tank and disconnect the fresh water hose..

I stay in the Upstate area and I do supply some light heat (Actually it is a ROPE LIGHT duct taped to the hose) in the coldest days. Lowest temp I've seen was 11 Degrees. One night.. But this is the western end of the state, you are on the ocean side where temps are more regulated.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 AM   #6

Thanks everybody. It doesn't sound too bad at all. We've gone through some pretty cold temps. staying in Ocala, FL. for a winter. So we should survive this.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

Thank You for the weather reports..

Never been to South Carolina..

will be staying at the MB state park.... 12/1 to 12/30...
and our first snow bird trip.. and first travel trailer.

I am retired. wife retires 11/25/15...
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good info here! Thanks! We'll be at the Waccamaw NWR Jan 1 - Apr 1, just a bit down the road from MB.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never stayed in Myrtle Beach but have an offline friend who works there (Work Campe)

Have stayed in SC about as far from Myrtle Beach as you can get (Oconee County) and once it got down to 11.. I do use some heat in the wet bays and on my hose (Light bulbs) but not many nights do you really have to worry.

SC is a transistion state. Myrtle Beach being where it's at I would not anticipate problems.. IF you have a class A with enclosed tanks the coldest nights you might wish to drop and drain the fresh hose and use on-board water (I normally do that for other reasons when in SC... But that only has to do with the parks I park in, not the state as a whole).
Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

Stayed in MB January to May this year in a MH. I've seen temperatures as low as 17f at night. I only had my water hose freeze once in February. I forgot to let my water run in the sink that night. Also had ice on the steps once early in the morning, but it melted fast as the sun came up. But NOT seeing snow was well worth the stay!
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter