Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have stayed in Hill City many times and love the central location. I also am partial to the town of Hill City with sufficient dining and necessities within close proximity. I have stayed at Crooked Creek twice, but I will try Rafter J after driving through and seeing the facility on my last trip this past summer.

I agree with not towing on Needles Highway or 16A, is way to stressful not only because of the tunnels, but the overall sharpness of the curves and the sharp inclines which will twist the frame of your vehicle and trailer, but would definitely recommend taking the toad or motorcycle on these roads.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
We stayed at Heartland, in Hermossa. Passport discount.[pool and hot tub/wifi]. Located just right. We drove car all around, over, and every which way. So much to see and do. Did not like Deadwood. Everything is focused on gambling. Spearfish canyon is splendid, as are the "loops",[ DO NOT PULL/DRIVE RIG thru tunnels"} iron mtn rd. needles hwy., wildlife in Custer state park. Hailstorm at Crazy horse, looked like snow in September[95 degrees]. Mount Rushmore is more "business-like", then "park-like". So comercial. Golden age pass not accepted at Rushmore. Paid $11.00 for parking, no entrance fees.
We also stayed at Heartland this past July and were there for 2 weeks. It was a nice RV park and we would stay there again. We took Day trips everyday and enjoyed the area vary much. We need full Hook ups as DH has to have C-Pap Machine at night. Rates were good. We have Passport and also Good Sam. Enjoy the Area.

Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #31

Heartland is an exellent place to stay
Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
X3 or 4 on Rafter J we have stayed there a few times and I have reservations for August
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't seen Angostura Reservoir mentioned yet -- it's at the south end of the Black Hills near Hot Springs. For biking (the 105 Mickelson trail is on an old RR grade) and kayaking (several great lakes) sometimes the south-end is a better choice. Quite a few of the sites at Angostura Reservoir are right on a pretty nice SAND beach (yes, it is really a sand beach)! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
And if you are coming from the east you have to stop at Wall Drug for Buffalo burgers
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #35

This thread is very timely for me. I will be driving into the Custer area from Yellowstone this year on our first post retirement cross-country tour. I planned on taking I-90 and either cutting through the Black Hills NF on 85-385 through Deadwood which I imagine would be a beautiful drive to Custer, or continue on I-90 to Rapid City and taking 16 into the Custer area. Both of these routes involve traveling on 16 which this thread strongly advises against! Is all of 16 bad or just a certain part of it? Are either or both of these routes doable with a 32' MH towing a dinghy?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #36

Last June we enjoyed the Rush-No-More cg. It is located a few miles east of Sturgis right off I-90. Very easy access from I-90 but quiet because of a few hills. Nice people, FHU.
In our toad we drove the beautiful Nemo Road, Forest Road 26, lunch in Deadwood, doubled back thru Lead and down 14A Spearfish Canyon. We visited the Presidents and Crazy Horse with a tour which was part of a Freightliner Chassis Owners Club rally. Make sure you avoid the motorcycle week unless that is your thing. During Bike Week, all cg rates get jacked up.
We would stay at Rush-No-More again but would also like to stay in other areas in and around the park. The Black Hills are really wonderful. Enjoy!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #37

RoamingGnome

My AAA map indicates that all the tunnel restrictions are on US 16A and SR 87. If you stick with US 16 you should be OK.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We drive the Iron Mountain road in our dually and let me tell you, the road is narrow. We could not squeeze past bicyclists also riding on the road. They had to stop and get completely off the road to let us by. It was a great drive but definitely not for an RV.
Yes... When our boys were in grade school. we rented a full size van and made the Rushmore trip. So glad we rented... Hubby tried to go through the tunnels and there are sharp turns right before you get into some of the tunnels... he scraped the side of the rental van on the guardrails before we even got into the first tunnel. Sometimes you can't see if someone is coming the other direction until you get around the curve and then it's back up to let them through or hug the guardrails and get scraped.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post
This thread is very timely for me. I will be driving into the Custer area from Yellowstone this year on our first post retirement cross-country tour. I planned on taking I-90 and either cutting through the Black Hills NF on 85-385 through Deadwood which I imagine would be a beautiful drive to Custer, or continue on I-90 to Rapid City and taking 16 into the Custer area. Both of these routes involve traveling on 16 which this thread strongly advises against! Is all of 16 bad or just a certain part of it? Are either or both of these routes doable with a 32' MH towing a dinghy?
16 from Rapid City to Hill City is not a problem with the Motorhome, I have driven it many times pulling a 24' enclosed trailer, actually pretty good road, a couple of pulls but not bad. 16A there are tunnels I would not be able to fit mine through.

I have also ran 85/385 with no problems and it is also very scenic as is 16. Once you arrive at your destination, definitely take the toad on 16A and highway 87 (Needles Highway), definitely worth the scenery.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #40

Thanks for the replies EZDZIT & jeryan59. I will probably take 85-385 in to Custer from 90 then take 16 out to Rapid City and continue eastbound a couple of weeks later. Along the way we will stay at two or three of the campgrounds mentioned in this thread and definately be taking day-trips with the toad, including the infamous 16A and Needles Hwy. DW retired last week and I retire at the end of March. I can taste the freedom already!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mystery Rest Stop

I picked up a lot of info on SD from the MH/RV Show here in the city's yesterday. Can't wait.
On a side note has anyone gone S a little bit from Rapid City and go thru Hot Springs and then S again and come upon a huge I mean huge boulder at a Rest Stop? You can climb to the top (maybe 10-20 minute climb ) and read all that is carved in stone on the Top? I have and its a amazing place.You can see for miles in any direction. Writings from the old wagon days. You RV/MH will look like a Matchbox vehicle. I was told it was like a 1/2 way point for those heading to Calif from out East. It will be on your left hand side. We were also heading to Calif back then but we had a 43 foot trailer with a load of meats on it. I was last there in the early 80ties.I don't know if you can spend the night there or not. I plan on going there and then come back up and then to Custer. I would think it would be like a day or two trip. There is nothing around it except flatness.. Good Hwy and yes lots of truckers use it but its a nice drive, at least it was back then...Again can't wait
tb
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
There are good reasons NOT to RV the Needles or Iron Mountain Hwys.

Attachment 55008

Most people are so intent on staying off the sides of these tunnels (well except this guy) they don't realize, depending on which direction you're traveling, that in every tunnel you can see Mt. Rushmore from inside the tunnel.
l.
Once your committed, their is No backing up or space for U turns.
[Lay odds, he was following the navigators directions sitting in the passenger seat.]