Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
south fl camping

were heading south jan 8. staying at grassy key rv park for 2 weeks.between the 29-31 we need a place to hang out before we stay at maimi everglades camp ground.looked at keylargo theres a stone crab fest going on. does fl have state campgrounds like mich we call it state forest cg no hook ups like to hang for those days.any feed back would be nice.
safe travels bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a couple of nice county parks you might consider. Google Broward County and Miami-Dade State Parks. I live in Fort Lauderdale and we often use Markham Park or CB Smith Park to stage for trips or for friends.

You don't say where you are coming from (down the east or west coast of FL). If west coast, consider Oscar Sherer State Park or Myakka State Park (north of Fort Meyers). If you're coming down the east side, consider Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Jupiter.

Hope that helps.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I don't think you will find anything like that in the keys. The state parks for camping I know of are there are John Pennekamp coral reef reserve in Key Largo, Long Key, Curry Hammock right at Grassy Key where you will be and Bahia Honda just past the Seven Mile Bridge. They will all be full up though. You could give a shot at a walk up to see if there is a cancellation or no show. Pennekamp was just redone and I would love to see it.

We stayed at Key Largo Kampground about 7 years ago. It is a KOA turned private but they sub lease sites. Very nice but pricey if I remember correctly. It is past Pennekamp going south (it is really west) on the ocean side. The road goes down next to Publix so if you see that you missed it.

Don't try to hang out overnight at any of the small pull off the road parks as Monroe County has some ordinance and you may get woke up by a police officer.

While at Grassy Key be sure to stop at the Wreck next door to Dolphin Research Center. It is one of our favorites restaurants.

EDIT: Sorry I was thinking going in the other direction. Hey it's early. Enjoy your stay in the Keys. We are!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
There are a couple of nice county parks you might consider. Google Broward County and Miami-Dade State Parks. I live in Fort Lauderdale and we often use Markham Park or CB Smith Park to stage for trips or for friends.

You don't say where you are coming from (down the east or west coast of FL). If west coast, consider Oscar Sherer State Park or Myakka State Park (north of Fort Meyers). If you're coming down the east side, consider Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Jupiter.

Hope that helps.
Hi f14av8r,
Was curious, is there any transportation available between Markham Park and the Bank Atlantic Center? Looks like it would be a great place to stay for a Panthers game, but we don't have a tow vehicle right now and I would think those roads are a bit busy for a bike.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
...consider Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Jupiter...
I'm partial to JDSP. That's where my husband & I first met. It was so close to "home" (Stuart) that we went (tent) camping there every other weekend (the weekends we didn't go there, we went camping someplace else). We had a canoe and have canoed the Loxahatchee River from Indiantown Rd in Jupiter to the park. You can also canoe from the park landing to Trapper Nelson's place. Interesting place (my uncle was good friends with Trapper Nelson) but the stuff the State tends to say about the man is BS. My family was upset when I came back telling them the crap they were dishing out. The State of FL had been after that particular plot of land for a long time. Wanted to tie it to the State Park... oh, gee that's just what they ended up doing.

Trapper Nelson
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
One more note about JDSP, try and get the River Campground if you want trees and shade. The Pine Grove Campground was destroyed by the hurricanes, they had to pretty much bulldoze and replant the entire area. Right now that campground is a wide open field.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
One more note about JDSP, try and get the River Campground if you want trees and shade. The Pine Grove Campground was destroyed by the hurricanes, they had to pretty much bulldoze and replant the entire area. Right now that campground is a wide open field.
We camped at JD on the way down this year at Christmas. My inlaws have a place in Stuart so it was close by.

The Pine Grove CG was indeed redone but I think they did a very nice job of it. You won't find a tree over about 6' and most of them are struggling to make it but the rest is nice. All paved roads, new bath houses, gravel sites with a fire ring and new hook ups. There is a new playground for kids and a pavilion for group activities. We will definitely stay there again on the way through.

The park does warn tent campers that there is no shade at Pine Grove. Not a problem this time of year but you would bake in summer.

If you visit take the time to drive down Bridge Rd in Hobe Sound to the ocean. Trees cover the road (think they might be Banyan) and it ends at a free parking beach access. Get there early on nice days because it fills up and there is no on street parking.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
Hi f14av8r,
Was curious, is there any transportation available between Markham Park and the Bank Atlantic Center? Looks like it would be a great place to stay for a Panthers game, but we don't have a tow vehicle right now and I would think those roads are a bit busy for a bike.
Hi Brave-r,
No shuttles that I'm aware of but riding a bike is quite possible. There is a nice paved bike path separate from the road that runs east from the park along Hwy 84. That gets you to the other side of the Sawgrass Expressway and then you can make your way on quiet side streets north to the Center. I would be a 3-4 mile bike ride though. There are also cab services available that are reasonably priced.
Hope that helps!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Markham is a lovely spot so another vote here for that one. Lots of open green space, lakes, biking trails, even a dog park. We're wintering here right now and love it. Nina
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Rt 70 usage

I am heading tii Ft Myers but want to stop and see my brother in law in Port St Lucie. I was looking at taking Rt 70 over from the east coast to the west coast and was wondering what kind of road I would be traviling, It would save me 50 miles ,
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Z View Post
I am heading tii Ft Myers but want to stop and see my brother in law in Port St Lucie. I was looking at taking Rt 70 over from the east coast to the west coast and was wondering what kind of road I would be traviling, It would save me 50 miles ,
I'm not familiar with RT70 but if I were going from Ft Meyers to Port St Lucie I would take Hwy 80/441 from Fort Meyers to the TurnPike (Southern Blvd) and then head north on the Turnpike to Port St Lucie. I've traveled this route several times and it is good road the entire way. You could also take I-75 (Alligator Alley) all the way across but that would be out of the way from Fort Meyers. You'll also find the route across 80/441 to be much more scenic.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Quote:
I'm not familiar with RT70 but if I were going from Ft Meyers to Port St Lucie I would take Hwy 80/441 from Fort Meyers to the TurnPike (Southern Blvd) and then head north on the Turnpike to Port St Lucie. I've traveled this route several times and it is good road the entire way. You could also take I-75 (Alligator Alley) all the way across but that would be out of the way from Fort Meyers. You'll also find the route across 80/441 to be much more scenic.
That's the way my GPS suggested if it more scenic I think I'll take it after 1100 miles on interstates I could use the break.
Thanks