Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> They have several bridges in the keys, all of the keys have bridges going from one to the other, couple of them at high enough for the boats to go under, one that I know of stops traffic and is raised by a bridge tender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last tended/draw bridge is on the 18 mile stretch from mainland to first key. It is being replaced now.

There are a few bridges that go high but, to my recollection, most are close to the water. 7 mile bridge is probably the highest but, only for about 1 mile then back down to land level.

Maybe because I've done it so many times, I don't see the trip as a big deal. Roads are great and the view is relaxing. Just plan on averaging 45 mph. Early morning is the best time to travel.

There are a few roadside parks to stop at for a break or just to take in the view.

Scott Crompton
07 Dutch Star 4304
Sue (DW)Celia 10, Alec 8, Bella (Greyhound), Isis (Abyssinian)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:03 AM   #16
Actually there is another drawbridge over Snake Creek ( MM 85) by the Coast Guard Station. THe highest bridges are probably 7 mile Bridge and the Long Key Bridge. I really think its a great drive. We do it several times a year in our MH and on our Harley's. You also asked how far it was---- right around 130 miles from Homestead to KW MM 0 ( all the directions/distances are given by mile markers (MM) ) If you're going to go, make your reservations as far in advance as possible

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #17
As you can tell, Key West is a very popular place for RVers!!!
Just wanted to caution you about one restaurant.
It is Blue Heaven. We had alot of people recommend it to us, but couldn't stand the smell long enough to order!!
As said before, have a great time and enjoy!
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #18
Mid Atlantic Campers
Jeez, I'd now be glad to pay $100 per night if I could just find a vacancy for Feb
Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #19

Have your tried Biahia Honda State Park. Its close to KayoWesta and they have sites that can handle rigs up to 50 ft. I looked on their site and Feb looks pretty clear. I didn't look at the rates, but they should be less than $50. (half price if you are a fla senior age 65+.) By the way, for those of you having never been to the keys, very little swimming along the route to KW. Only at parks and some motels. Fishing is great at night for mangrove snapper with live shrimp and an occassional snook can be had. LOTS of barracudas can be caught just about anywhere. Find a rest who will cook your fish and bring um a fresh snapper ummm-good. To clearfy the bridges, probably the several passages under bridges are short where the hight is and the hight is only about 100 ft, The rest in right down on the water. Not allowed to shoot any KW conks anymore since papa died. Having grown up in Miami, we use to visit the keys often. No better fishing. However, that was in the 50's. Use to have a sign in Ley Largo, B"uy gas now no service for next 100 miles. s/Toby
2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ
Click on SHIP to enlarge CGC Sagebrush
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #20
Yes, Bahia Honda State Park would be the cheapest choice, but last I knew they didn't allow pets.
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
Mid Atlantic Campers
NO sites open at any of the keys State parks through the month of FEB
Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #22
Newmar Owners Club
Okay, we are stopping in the Pompano Beach, Florida area for about 5 days next week, and cannot find a RV park that has decent ratings, or services. If we have to stay out a little ways, that is fine, but we would like somewhere that can offer clean, useable facilities for a Class A 50 amp hookup. If you can suggest somewhere, we would appreciate it.
Gene & Betty
Spring Hill, Florida
buckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The convienent choices near Pompano Beach are very limited. There is a KOA about 30-45 minutes north at Lion County Safari. Much farther south, in south Miami-Dade County are the Larry and Penny Thompson County Park and the Miami Everglades CG. Both of them are at least one hour or so from Pompano. We've stayed at all three of the places and they are big rig friendly. The problem with the gold coast is that there is development everywhere. We used to live in Homestead and the building boom is the number one reason we moved to beautiful Tennessee after I retired. Good luck!
2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #24
Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
You may want to check out Key Largo Campground
Tim ,Retired Police Lt. 2002 Winnebago Adventurer+16' Trailer
Harley Road King and Heritage Classic+,Trik-L-start,Hughes Autoformer. Blue Tick Coon hound
Fossilhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #25
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have stayed in Venture Out Resort for three years. It is on MM 23, and has waterfront sites. I believe they were about 65-75/night. RV site bookings are through a realty office at http://www.waterfrontkeys.com/
Check it out....
Port St. Lucie, Florida
2002 Gulfstream SunVoyager 37' Triple Slide
ALAG321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
You should have a great time in Key West. I'd stay at the KOA on sugar loaf key. They pack you in and electical service is not that reliable in the keys. A generator is a must. Top off your fresh water tanks as well. You might have to involuntarily boondock it. The staff is very friendly and helpful but the camp sites are really small and they pack you in. On weekends it is usually packed with kids at the pool. As the saying goes, Key West is a small drinking village with a fishing problem. Take your toad into the town and make sure you wear beach attire. Go to Monty's and have lunch and swim for free in their pool. At night they have entertainment but all the bars in Key West have entertainment. I liked that pool better than the CG pool. I don't like the ideas other people had about staying at the campgrounds in Miami-Dade. They are to close to rough areas of town.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Hey D,

You commented on the electric. How often are the power outages. We are going down for the first time and staying at Bluewater Key. I am just planning for the vacation and looking to minimize surprises.

Rich & Michelle
2014 Journey 42E
Chip & Dale, our kitties
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote