Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #1

South for the winter

Going to be making our first 3-4 month trip in the MH south this winter. Starting out around Gulf Shores and plan to head west into south Texas - do we need to have reservations everywhere? Can't leave until after Christmas and will have to watch the weather as to when we can leave so it will be hard to make advance reservations. Really want to just spend a week or so at different places to see where we want to be in the future. Will we have problems getting into campgrounds?
jakejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #2

If you need recommendations for campgrounds in Louisiana I will be glad to help!
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We do the same thing here in the Southwest from Seattle to Arizona etc; and have for ten years running. Over the years here is what I have found. If I intend to spend a month or so in any place I make the reservation well in advance. For overnight stays while traveling I just figure out while on the road that day and call ahead. Unless you are heading to an extremely popular RV resort you can probably book a week a few days in advance. Only once in ten years has an RV park said they did not have room and they referred me to another. Pretty easy.

Most states have DOT cameras. When you are deciding when to leave and also on the road you can not only check the weather but see real time video or still shots of your route. We drive over a fairly high pass each years and through mountains, it really helps me to take a look at the road ahead before I commit. Also state have DOT numbers with recorded highway information. You can discover this stuff on line just Google DOT cameras and the state where you will be heading.

Lots of people travel on the same schedule, the holidays keep them grounded but after that it is a migration. You will be in good company.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

If you're not familiar with it, I'd put www.campgroundreviews.com in your favorites. It's a great planning tool whenever you hit the road.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Rule of thumb for spending the winter in the south, plan way head, plan way head, plan way ahead. Unless you don't mind spending time in campgrounds you don't want to be in.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

heading south

We are planning the same rite of passage, we live in KCMO area, so it will be just a 2 day trip. We are going to stay between Galvaston & Corpus Christi Tx. We started to make resv. in July and most long stay cg were already filled up,

Good luck,

Ben & Terry
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter