Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Southern Cali winter suggestions?

If anyone can shed some light on places that would be good and warm in Southern California for a group of family members that consists of 2 Sportsmobiles, one Class A and one couple needing hotel. My brother-in-law wants to do some back country Death Valley camping in his Sportsmobile 4X4 after he sees us. I was looking for a place for us in the Class A 38' w/toad, that is near a nice hotel, with plenty of hiking, biking, running for a very outdoorsy family. This would be over Christmas, a few days before and after. My daughter, who has the other Sportsmobile suggested Bishop and I also saw Lone Pine but was wondering if they get snow and are too cold. Our son is coming from the Canadian Rockies and wants warm weather. What a tall order to please everyone! Anyone out there have suggestions? We, in the Class A are leaving soon and making our way from Pennsylvania along the southern route. Never having RVed south of Sonoma, I need some help with weather and suggestions. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sandy and Andrei with Ziggy Labradoodle
2016 Anthem 44B, formerly 2014 Aspire 42DEQ
2008 CRV toad. Eastern PA
sgrecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bishop will likely be on the cool side. Death Valley is close to filling all the preferences. You could stay at Furnace Creek or outside the park in Beatty, NV. Another area to explore might be Borrego Springs which is in Anza Borrego State Park. Both are good areas in the winter for a desert experience.

2006 Southwind 32 VS W-20, 2010 CRV EX-L, UP & Taylor Wires, IPD Anti-Sway Bars, Safe-T-Plus, Koni FSD's, Demco Tow Bar, Moto Sat, and Charlie the Chocolate Lab
Rocky 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Southern Ca deserts will be cold nights with moderate temp days. Lone pine is a fabulous desert area with Red Rock Canyon to the south and Alabama Hills where they filmed many many old west movies and the portal to Mt Whitney. Off road paradise X 10 Rock Climbing in the Lone Pine Area | Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Traveling south on Hwy 395 you van expect snow from Lee Vining to Death Valley. Carry snow chains and know how to put them on. No installers available. I-5 to I- 80 eastand south 395 all chance of snow this time of year. If you are looking for warmer Cal weather go to the Palm Spring area. You will have fun either way....
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
We'll second the Borrego Springs, CA area - very pretty.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Joshua Tree NP

Sits right on the transition zone between Mojave and Colorado Deserts. 4wd, hiking, biking, sightseeing. The rock formations are nuts. Near towns of Joshua Tree and 29 Palms at the north end and not horribly far from Indio at the south end. Weather is usually nice in winter. Good luck.Kel
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
I lived in Lone Pine for two years. It gets very cold and snows on occasion. Death Valley nice during day and cold at night.

OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote