Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Southern California camping...first week of June

Looking for a location that is:
Within 3 hours (+-) of Magic Mountain.
Around $80 (+-) / night.
Relatively cool (wife not a fan of heat)
Able to accomodate a 40' 5er.

Any ideas, iRV2 world?
kevkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Full hook-ups?
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a park on Henry Mayo Drive just off I-5 just North of Magic Mountain---maybe ten twenty minutes at the most; can't think of the name just now but my wife and I stayed there a month and a half ago---not too bad, not exactly plush but there was a RV rendevous on there so people like it just fine. It sur eis close. If I get the name I'll post it.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Parks Near Six Flags Magic Mountain and Universal Studios - Valencia, CA - Santa Clarita Guide

Here are two: The one we stayed at was Valencia Travel described in my previous post.

If you want cool and further away Chula Vista RV Resort just south of San Diego is really nice and in June will have the overcast many days and an on shore breeze.

In land starts to warm in June so fairly hard to reccomend some nice parks furthe rinland.

Other than that look toward the coast.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the recommendations. The Valencia Travel Village is only about 3 minutes from my house.

Naval Base Pt. Mugu has a campground right on the beach, with full hook ups. Done. Thanks again for the recommends!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #6

Try the Ventura Beach RV Resort....on Main St. in Ventura. Then you can just take hwy 126 thru Santa Paula and Fillmore right to Valencia. Would be about a 30-40 min drive, but close enough, and you're right at the ocean so its cooler. Pt Mugu is another great option too, just a little further. I think there's a KOA in Santa Paula also. AND there's a great campground at Lake Casitas! Many options!
carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, carolanded. We have actually camped at all of those spots! We made the mistake of booking at the Ventura Beach RV park one year during the VC fair...that place fills up with carnies and they like to party!

The SP KOA is a favorite, and we will be there often once they install a pool...Hopefully this fall.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

We haven't stayed (yet) at the SP KOA, but neighbors have, and love it. Also saw it on the news the other morning..looks great! Close to home, but you feel like you've escaped Yeah, Ventura Beach RV would not be a good place to go in August because of the fair. Good thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkill View Post
Thanks, carolanded. We have actually camped at all of those spots! We made the mistake of booking at the Ventura Beach RV park one year during the VC fair...that place fills up with carnies and they like to party!

The SP KOA is a favorite, and we will be there often once they install a pool...Hopefully this fall.
carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #9

Campland in San Diego is usually nice and cool. Right on Mission Bay with private beach. Probably at the max of your 3hr range. They have some expensive sites, but not worth it. Get the cheapest ones and walk around and enjoy all the many amenities. (pool, horshoe tourney, clubhouse, beach rentals, bike paths, fishing, etc.)

Ocean Mesa just north of Santa Barbara is also private. They have a pool and an ocean breeze. Take a walk down the hill to the general store and get some great lunch. 10-15min walk to the ocean, or drive down in less than 5.

Both these places are near the ocean and have pull through sites that should hold a big dog like yourself. Reservations are needed and will be at the upper end of your budget. Good luck!
KUZN EDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you belong to the Elks, several lodges in that vacinity have camping spots. No frills, but the price is right.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
@ Kuzn Edy- Campland is on our list of places to go...but the $$$ is not there yet. I have camped at (and greatly enjoyed) Ocean Mesa.

@ Grimesy, I am not an Elk. My grandfather is, and I remember going to his lodge in Canoga Park for chili cook offs when I was a wee lad and seeing all the fulltimers parked there. Thanks for bringing that memory back!