Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Southern California RV Parks

We are trying to find an RV park close to the Huntington Beach area in California. We will be visiting friends in the Redlands area and want something close by so we can spend time with them and at the beach. Is this even possible? We do have a toad so we could be somewhere in the middle. Everything I search doesn't have very good reviews. Also we will be there the first week in March, I am worried that it will be to cool to stay close to the ocean. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

There is a really nice RV spot called East Shores RV on Puddingstone Lake in San Dimas. That is about right in the middle between Huntington Beach and Redlands. It is right at the intersection of the 57 and 10 freeways, and is easy access for you going either direction, to the Beach or Redlands. We took our MH there when we first got it to try everything out, they are huge spots, Full hookups, some pull thrus, all spots will easily fit the MH and a Toad. The back in spots on the upper area have really nice views of the lake. They are all really level spots, and they keep the people living there in a totally different area than the visitors. The park is well maintained and they enforce the rules there so everyone can enjoy the park.

If you decide to stay in Huntington Beach, they have a City RV park right on the water. It is all asphalt parking lot with full hookups, but a little pricey. Those spots will also fit the MH and Toad. I think you book that thru either the City web site or Reserve America. I would not recommend any other place in Huntington Beach as there are a few others that are not on the Beach, but they seem to be filled with people living there and are really cramped.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We stay at Huntington By the Sea RV Resort on the beach basically. It is on Pacific Coast Highway and Newland Street. One mile from downtown.

My coach is 45 feet so getting around here is tight but doable. There isn't much to do except hit the beach and go downtown to eat. Dog beach is impressive, and they have 2 within a few miles of each other.

I think management are idiots but it is clean and has security patrols all day and night.

We have been here since November and will be here until April. I have to leave every week or so because I race cars for a living.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Huntington by the sea, and also Huntington state beach rv park on the beach a mile or so down PCH. About 6 or 7 miles down Pacific coast Hwy you have Bolsa Chica state park also on the beach.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #5

IMHO, it's always nice to be at the beach, but whether it's too cold is a personal thing. As for where to stay at the beach, when in that area, we always stay at Golden Shores RV Park in Long Beach. It's not in Huntington, but it's a very nice park at the harbor. Walking distance to the Catalina Express, rainbow harbor, lots of restaurants and the Aquarium. If you want to be closer to Redlands, the desert (Palm Springs area) is closer, has terrific weather this time of year and has many nice places to park your rig. It is not, however, close to any beaches. Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Canyon RV Park in Anaheim Hills near the 91 and 241 fwys
Orangeland RV Park in Orange near 57, 5 and 22 fwys
Anaheim RV Resort near Disneyland right of the 5 fwy.

All are within ~20-30 minutes of HB.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

You do realize that it is a long way between Huntington Beach & Redlands with tons of slow commuters, right? If I've understood you correctly, you want to visit friends in Redlands but stay near the beach. San Diego is a better choice. Chula Vista RV is very nice and Mission Bay RV also. Roughly a 2 hour drive to Redlands avoiding commuter times. Much, much better than the 91, which is an absolute nightmare, from the Inland Empire. You might consider two separate stays. Short term, midweek, Pechanga in Temecula is absolutely fantastic. About an hour from Redlands. Then heading to the beach areas. The aforementioned park in Long Beach looked great when we walked thru it about a year ago. Traffic getting to & from it was just horrible. (If you can get by with just electricity & water for a few days, you might consider Silver Strand just south of Coronado in the San Diego area. Basically a parking lot, but it is right on the beach. And Coronado . . . absolutely gorgeous. Actually a better option than the other two SD parks I mentioned, if you can get by without the sewer hook-up. They do have a dump station.).
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
We are trying to find an RV park close to the Huntington Beach area in California. We will be visiting friends in the Redlands area and want something close by so we can spend time with them and at the beach. Is this even possible? We do have a toad so we could be somewhere in the middle. Everything I search doesn't have very good reviews. Also we will be there the first week in March, I am worried that it will be to cool to stay close to the ocean. Any ideas?
Like biosensai mentioned, traffic will just be impossible to get anywhere with that commute unless you go in the off hours and then it can be bad then. RV parks around that beach area in my opinion just plain suck unless you like to stay in a parking lot. Beach could be cool and breezy but always pretty. I live here and I don't even attempt to go to the beach anymore because of the traffic and crowds but it may be more tolerable in March. You may want to consider Pechanga or Chula Vista as mentioned and hop in your car for some day trips. An hour or two to go 65 to 100 miles vs an hour or two to go 20 to 40 miles.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

Look up Newport Dunes RV Resort. Never stayed there but understand it is really nice - and pricey!
Newportdunes.com
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Look up Newport Dunes RV Resort. Never stayed there but understand it is really nice - and pricey!
Newportdunes.com
Once again, traffic to/from Redlands will be a nightmare. Newport Dunes is on/close to what is referred to as the back bay. Though I've never stayed there, I am very familiar with it. The complex has a boat launch we used to use in the '80's. The park was built to accommodate rigs of that era. We stopped launching in the area because of the traffic.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Try Prado Dam in chino Hills. Closer to Redlands than HB but almost in the middle. Nice park, large campsites, and close to Fwys.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:02 AM   #12

Santee Lakes just east of San Diego could also be an option. There was a place in Imperial Beach called Bernardo Shores, but not sure if it's still there. Rumors were it was to be sold. We've also stayed at Chula Vista RV Resort, sites close together, a bit pricey, but nice.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

Bernardo Shores closed as of 10/1/2015. Condos will be built there. It was our hands down favorite in So Cal.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed at a park once just south of Huntington beach next to a chemical factory.
Decent park, then we walked a mile to the pier and saw the state park right there on the beach.
Missed it by that much........

Tags
california