Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Russ. We covered some of the same ground as you in the Dixie NF. We actually camped at Kodachrome Basin SP, but did some off roads exploring around Tropic Resevoir. There would be a ton of boonedocking and 4WD opportunities in that area. we wanted to make it to Capital Reef but time didn't allow it. I will check your blog and maybe we will find ourselve's there this Apr, when we are near Moab.

Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #16
Originally Posted by MitchellPnw View Post
Hey folks I have doing alot of reading to get all the info about southern Utah but still have a few questions. We will be heading out in in early May from WA state driving a 3500 Duramax pulling a 25 foot Trailer.

I have lived in North Utah most of my life when I was younger but haven't gone south to many times that I remember.

So far the plan is to drive to Salt Lake and visit family for a few days then off to Little Sahara sand dunes ( we have dirt bikes) then to Bryce, Zion then Coral pink Sand dunes(ride again) then Best Friends in kanab then to Moab area... all in 18 days. We Pretty young so packing up and moving every few days is ok.

I'm aware Most Folks on here don't ride dirt bikes/atvs but if anyone has input on sites or places to ride id love that

As for the non riding parts of the trips id like input on that also. maybe somewhere we should see. We have 2 dogs that we would love to take hiking. or somewhere they can swim, If I remember right Utah doesn't allow dogs in some lakes and reservoirs.

So.. will I need to make reservations for any camp grounds or can I just show up? also dry camping is ok!

Thanks guys
Oh, and I forgot to mention, Scenic Drive 12 is a must see according to many. It's east of Bryce and goes through the Grand Escalante Staircase. Stop at the markers for interesting factoids.

RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Thanks for the advice. I think I might have some family meet us down there with their trailer. So we may need 2 sites so I think inside of zion is out.
Anyone know of good campgrounds outside of zion?

Also when we are boondocking in the dunes will we need our ac on in early may?
MitchellPnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post

I was through southern Utah last June. Gorgeous. I highly recommend you visit Capitol Reef. My blog report on it is here. There's a wonderful campground there. It may be that some of the spaces are first-come-first-served. You can drive through the park free and it is fabulous even beyond the park to the east. There is a short scenic drive which costs $5 in the park. Photos on my blog.

Near Bryce I boondocked in the Dixie National Forest and I think I recall some motorcycle and ATV trails. Here's my page on that area. Also contact Red Canyon... is it a state park? It's not too far from Bryce. There are private campgrounds near Bryce too as well as Zion if you can't find space in the parks.

Oh thanks for the ideas
Old 01-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #19
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Sand Hollow State Park isn't too far from Zion and you can ride there. I'd rather stay in Zion though.
This might be a good idea
Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Originally Posted by MitchellPnw View Post
Thanks friz do you recommend a campground in moab where we can ride?
Sand Flats!
It is a county or state-owned and operated campground. It is home to the famous Slickrock trail, which is open to hiking (not many people hike it), mountain bikes (most users) and dirt bikes. This would be a wonderfully challenging dirt bike ride.

Hells Revenge and Fins and Things trailheads are also within the Sand Flats area. There are numerous BLM areas where you can dry camp near Moab all near

Also check out Area BFE. It's more popular with 4-wheeled OHV's, but you could ask them for dirtbike trail recommendations.

There is also a lot of riding in the St. George area.

Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Sand Hollow State Park isn't too far from Zion and you can ride there. I'd rather stay in Zion though.
Zion is worth a stop on the way, just for the scenery.

There are also OHV areas near Hanksville (near Goblin Valley, I can't recall the name) with camping at the trailhead. Hanksville would be on your way between Bryce/Zion and Moab.

1992 Four Winds 29'
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote