Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Southern Utah Feedback/info

Hey folks I have doing alot of reading to get all the info about southern Utah but still have a few questions. We will be heading out in in early May from WA state driving a 3500 Duramax pulling a 25 foot Trailer.

I have lived in North Utah most of my life when I was younger but haven't gone south to many times that I remember.

So far the plan is to drive to Salt Lake and visit family for a few days then off to Little Sahara sand dunes ( we have dirt bikes) then to Bryce, Zion then Coral pink Sand dunes(ride again) then Best Friends in kanab then to Moab area... all in 18 days. We Pretty young so packing up and moving every few days is ok.

I'm aware Most Folks on here don't ride dirt bikes/atvs but if anyone has input on sites or places to ride id love that

As for the non riding parts of the trips id like input on that also. maybe somewhere we should see. We have 2 dogs that we would love to take hiking. or somewhere they can swim, If I remember right Utah doesn't allow dogs in some lakes and reservoirs.

So.. will I need to make reservations for any camp grounds or can I just show up? also dry camping is ok!

Thanks guys

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellPnw View Post
Hey folks I have doing alot of reading to get all the info about southern Utah but still have a few questions. We will be heading out in in early May from WA state driving a 3500 Duramax pulling a 25 foot Trailer.

I have lived in North Utah most of my life when I was younger but haven't gone south to many times that I remember.

So far the plan is to drive to Salt Lake and visit family for a few days then off to Little Sahara sand dunes ( we have dirt bikes) then to Bryce, Zion then Coral pink Sand dunes(ride again) then Best Friends in kanab then to Moab area... all in 18 days. We Pretty young so packing up and moving every few days is ok.

I'm aware Most Folks on here don't ride dirt bikes/atvs but if anyone has input on sites or places to ride id love that

As for the non riding parts of the trips id like input on that also. maybe somewhere we should see. We have 2 dogs that we would love to take hiking. or somewhere they can swim, If I remember right Utah doesn't allow dogs in some lakes and reservoirs.

So.. will I need to make reservations for any camp grounds or can I just show up? also dry camping is ok!

Thanks guys
There are a lot of OHV trails around Panguitch, which is near Bryce and not too far from Zion. Ther are NF visitor centers at Red Canyon an in Cannonville. They were very helpful and had lots of maps for the area that included OHV trails.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

Thanks scotty.

Anyone know if I will need to make reservations?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

Bumpy bump..? Anyone know if I can just show up at the camp sites?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

While we are not ATV'ers, I did notice that right out of the KOA in Richfield, UT there are ATV trails. This is a nice cg with many mature trees and a clean, but small, pool. Richfield has all the shopping a camper might need. It is a couple miles off I-70 and quiet at night. We have been back several times.

Drive safely. Have fun!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #6

Thanks! We will do must of our riding at the sand dunes so I'm more inquiring about the non riding camp grounds like in zion and what not. Not sure if I need reservations or not
Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I would say Yes. Every place we stayed in UT in Oct was full to capacity every night. Especially if you need hookups.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The National and State Parks will be full. I would recommend getting reservations right away. It is so much nicer to stay in the parks if you fit, and your trailer is smalle enough to fit in many places. I know you said you want to do a lot of riding, but make sure you do hiking too. As for dogs, they are not allowed in the SLC watershed canyons. They also aren't allowed on trails in the National parks.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #9

The atv trail system in southern Utah is the Paiute Trail system and it is huge. Maybe 1500 miles of trails. Haven't done it yet but I drool at the thought of going up there Just google it or look on youtube.

Moab is the off road capitol of the world. DW and I hauled our quads up there a couple of years ago and had a blast. There is an atv trail guide for the Moab area that shows 30 trails of varying difficulty. Its a good place to start.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
The atv trail system in southern Utah is the Paiute Trail system and it is huge. Maybe 1500 miles of trails. Haven't done it yet but I drool at the thought of going up there Just google it or look on youtube.

Moab is the off road capitol of the world. DW and I hauled our quads up there a couple of years ago and had a blast. There is an atv trail guide for the Moab area that shows 30 trails of varying difficulty. Its a good place to start.
Thanks friz do you recommend a campground in moab where we can ride?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Don't wait too long. I just made reservations at Watchman in Zion. We missed it last year due to time constraints. There were only two sites available in mid Apr, that would accommodate our rig. In fact, there were only 1/2 dozen sites available period, for the dates I selected. Then we are heading to Moab and will to do some dry camping. Hoping to rent a boat and do some fishing, some hiking, and of course tour Arches and Canyonlands. BTW, RV site w 30A at Watchman was $9 w Senior Pass. Good thing one of us is a "Senior" .
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Don't wait too long. I just made reservations at Watchman in Zion. We missed it last year due to time constraints. There were only two sites available in mid Apr, that would accommodate our rig. In fact, there were only 1/2 dozen sites available period, for the dates I selected. We missed Zion last year due to time constraints. Then we are heading to Moab and will to do some dry camping. Hoping to rent a boat and do some fishing, some hiking, and of course tour Arches and Canyonlands. BTW, RV site w 30A at Watchman was $9 w Senior Pass. Good thing one of us is a "Senior" .
Yeah I'm looking at the sites at watchman now and they only have a few.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #13

Sand Hollow State Park isn't too far from Zion and you can ride there. I'd rather stay in Zion though.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellPnw View Post

Thanks guys
I was through southern Utah last June. Gorgeous. I highly recommend you visit Capitol Reef. My blog report on it is here. There's a wonderful campground there. It may be that some of the spaces are first-come-first-served. You can drive through the park free and it is fabulous even beyond the park to the east. There is a short scenic drive which costs $5 in the park. Photos on my blog.

Near Bryce I boondocked in the Dixie National Forest and I think I recall some motorcycle and ATV trails. Here's my page on that area. Also contact Red Canyon... is it a state park? It's not too far from Bryce. There are private campgrounds near Bryce too as well as Zion if you can't find space in the parks.

HTH.