Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
There is a county campground called Manatee Hammock across from the launch sight. It is just off A1A and it is perfect to watch launches. We sat there and watched a nite launch and it was un believable. It is on the Indian River I think.
Call for reservations cause it fills up fast on a launch date.

what did you think of this cg?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #16

Faye,

We always check RVParkReviews.com before going to a place we have never been. What is nice about the site, you can 'browse around' nearby towns if the park you are checking looks lacking. There is a box with nearby cities and the distance away. We have found lots of wonderful CG's that way. I usually key in on the ratings vs price with the emphasis on price. We don't need all the kid stuff and what not. That said the park looks very nice, has great discounts for advance payment. Check it out:

RV Park Reviews :: Bellwood, Florida ( FL ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Bob

Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All great advice here. All I can really add is if you haven't seen a launch do yourself a favor and make sure you do. What a thrill to see and feel.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at the Great Outdoors Resort because we wanted full hook ups in case of extended stay due to launch delays. On day of the launch we drove to Manslow Park in Titusville to watch the launch. Several rigs were parked in the Penney's and Sears parking lot. Don't know how long they had been there but it was a 6 a.m. launch. I was quite impressed with the crowd that gathers for the viewing.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
We were at Ft. Wilderness a year ago last May/April, drove over to Titusville, made it 15 minutes to spare. Stood in the water to watch the launch. What a great experience.
Us too, except we saw the November 2009 launch of Atlantis from Space Park in Titusville. It was great. Cross that one off the bucket list.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #20

thanks to all, we were able to get a site at manatee hammock rv park for april.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
There is a county campground called Manatee Hammock across from the launch sight. It is just off A1A and it is perfect to watch launches. We sat there and watched a nite launch and it was un believable. It is on the Indian River I think.
Call for reservations cause it fills up fast on a launch date.

seajay, what was the traffic like on aia...how many days in advance of the launch did you go? lady at cg told me traffic on 1 was really heavy at launch times...did you have any difficulty in getting thru? thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
seajay, what was the traffic like on aia...how many days in advance of the launch did you go? lady at cg told me traffic on 1 was really heavy at launch times...did you have any difficulty in getting thru? thanks
We got luckey in that we reserved a spot there about a month before the launch date and the ''bird flew'' right on schedule.
As to Highway 1 about the 'time of the launch' pretty much everything kinda grinds to a halt in at least one lane of most of the double lane roads because people will just ease over and watch the shuttle go up. The trick to it is that you can see the launch from as much as 25 miles from the cape and people will stop to watch the lift off. After it ''flies'' the traffic will start thinning out as soon as it goes out of sight and in say 30 minutes the traffic is virtually gone.

The real trick is getting reservations and the shuttle co operating. Like I said, we hit it luckey and watched a nite launch and it went off pretty much on schedule.

there is a ''point'' there out in the river and picnic tables and benches and you have perfect un obstructed view of the launch. It is well worth the effort if you get to see it and you can watch the shuttle go into orbit on a nite launch.

the campground is nice. Well wooded, large and cool with easy access to the river and fishing from the bank or you can launch a boat. As I remember the CG is full hook up but if you have a sat. dish the trees can obstruct your dish. It is convenient to St Aguestine and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I highly recomend the CG for just a nice week or so of goofing off or laying back and watching the grass grow. We love it there. As I remember if you make reservations for a week you get a day free. Check on this because I am old and I get confused on stuff.

Good luck on your adventure and all this information will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me. (good advise aint cheep)......lol....... be safe my friend...
One more thing. The CG is on the left side of the road going south and it is easy to miss the turn into the drive way. We found it by accident.

Everybody that is ready for our troops to come on back home ... RAISE YOUR HAND.........
Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #23

Just some additional info. We went and saw the Discovery launch on the 24th. Some places try and charge $20 or more to park. We found a nice large lot across from the Titusville Marina and a park on US-1 just north of SR-406. The park was jammed, cars we parked along US-1 and in the median. So plenty of free parking available. We saw no signs of people being ticketed or towed. From here (406) and south along US-1 is a great area to view from. It is just north of Space View Park which was within walking distance.

Some photos from the launch:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bob.Ing...tQE&feat=email#
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #24

We arrived in Titusville about an hour before launch Feb 24th and the traffic wasn't to bad getting in but it was a challenge trying to find somewhere to park and don't even think about leaving after the launch. ( for at least a few hours till traffic clears) Park somewhere and find something to do after the launch because your are stuck there. It was worth it , and I would do it again.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #25

Great pics and info . . . out of vacation days until after July 1st, maybe that last launch will be delayed???
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #26
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We arrived in Titusville about an hour before launch Feb 24th and the traffic wasn't to bad getting in but it was a challenge trying to find somewhere to park and don't even think about leaving after the launch. ( for at least a few hours till traffic clears) Park somewhere and find something to do after the launch because your are stuck there. It was worth it , and I would do it again.
There is a mall with a huge parking area on US1 a couple of miles south of Space View Park. It is called Sears Town Mall and is a short walk to Manzo park that is directly across from the launch site. This mall rarely gets even so much as half full on launch days.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #27

well, we went down to tuitusville to see the feb. 24 th launch and it was so exciting to see discovery lift off and go thru the sky. we were told it got to speeds over 17,000 miles per hour and every thing has to be so precise for the launch. they had a glitch in a softwear program and viewers were all tense that there may not be a launch. we were told there was only a 5 minute period to fix the problem in order for the launch. the director of the shuttle said they fixed it and had plenty of time left to spare(all of 2 seconds) and the launch went off at 4:50 and was cheered loudly by the crowds in our area. the place was really crowded as this was the last launch for the discovery. people were parked beside the roads and in the viewing parks. we, as well as thousands of others left right after the launch and headed out to hwy 50 to go back over to orlando which was about 45 miles away and it took us all of 5 hours to go this 45 miles as traffic was backed up bumper to bumper and alot of the time completely stopped. boy will we know next time for april launch, not to get out in it. we had been told that once we got a couple of miles out on 50 that traffic would be flowing. needless to say, we were very tired at the end of the day. it is certainly something everyone needs to see. it will be a lasting memory for our family.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #28

Hey all! Thanks for all your threads! Raced down this past weekend (STS-135) with the family and found a spot at the JC Penney "dead mall" right across from the river from the launch pad. Was well worth the trip down - we waited about 4 hours to leave and that cleared out most of the 1.5 million people. Too bad last launch - guess another bit of hope lost. Stopped at the Naval Museum on the way back and the kids loved the iMax!