Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spearfish, SD | Too Far Out ?

Planning on heading to South Dakota this summer to see the normal attractions. We were thinking of staying in Spearfish. Is this too far away from all the main attractions?

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

I have no idea where Spearfish SD is but I think I'm going to put it on my list of places to visit just because it has a cool name!

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

Spearfish is just up the road from Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, etc.
Easy-peasy

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Spearfish is a beautiful town and worth a visit but is going to be a ways a way from all the main attractions in the Hills. Be prepared for an extra 1-2 hours of driving each day. The drives are picturesque though!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, I'd say it is too far away. We've been to Mt Rushmore several times and I'd suggest staying closer to or in Rapid city.
If the time you go is going to be when Sturgis is hosting the bike event I'd suggest reservations if you can get them this late.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with arch. Spearfish is close to Deadwood and Devils Tower but too far away from Rapid City attractions and the Badlands. Rapid City would be central or you can camp at Spearfish for the Northern Hills attractions and then move to Rapid City for the rest.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #7

Last summer we stayed at Rapid City for one night to head over to Deadwood and Spearfish etc but then moved and spent the rest of the week near Custer to see the SP, wildlife, Mount Rushmore and Hot Springs.

We enjoyed Deadwood but one day was enough for us unless you wanted to do some serious gambling.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
I guess it is a relative term as to what is too long etc. It is about 33 miles from Spearfish up the canyon to Lead and Deadwood - shorter (and boring) if you run I-90. From Spearfish to Keystone (Mt Rushmore) it is close to 60 miles.
From Keystone to the CrazyHorse site, Hill City, Custer City and Custer S Park it depends on the route. But if you intend to sleep in Spearfish and tour the Hills, you will be driving to and from more than you realize.
By all means drive the Spearfish Canyon up into the Hills to Icebox canyon and to Lead and Deadwood - beautiful country. Unless you really want to stay in Spearfish, you will be much better served to stay in one of the many parks in and around Custer. We like Broken Arrow or Custer Gulch but there are many other choices.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

There's a fantastic place to stay in Hill City. It's called Rafter J Bar Ranch. They have 50A and full hookups, a pool and beautiful large sites, shaded and open.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
For me, Spearfish is too far from the SD attractions. There are many, many CGs in SW SD to choose from that are close to the attractions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
....and Sturgis, Sundance, Devils Tower and more.

Been there, lots to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Spearfish is just up the road from Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, etc.
Easy-peasy

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While there is lot's to see up that way, it is a ways from Rushmore, Custer state park, Crazy Horse - all the better known area attractions. Even Rapid City is too far away, in our estimation.

I agree with the Hill City area as a base for the majority of what you'll want to see, and we too like the Rafter J Bar, but there are other options.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree, but it's on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
While there is lot's to see up that way, it is a ways from Rushmore, Custer state park, Crazy Horse - all the better known area attractions. Even Rapid City is too far away, in our estimation.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #14

I stayed in Custer for a week at French Creek RV Park (located a blk from town; owner Rock is a hoot!) to explore Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park (need at least 2 days for it), Wind Cave, Mammoth Springs & Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. Then stayed for a week at Sturgis RV Campground (great views from top levels) AFTER bike rally to explore Sturgis, Spearfish (Vanocher canyon drive is fabulous) & Deadwood. Then stayed in Wall for couple days to see Badlands &, of course, Wall Drug. Loved all; this whole area of SD is amazing!