Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Spring Break on the OBX

We just booked our spring break trip, going to camp hatteras on the outer banks and another four days at Bethpage Campground in Urbanna Virginia. Has anyone been to either of these spots, anyone have any experiences good or bad. I read the rvparkreviews website. Any other experiences?
Rhodenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been to camp hatteras several times, very nice campground and amenities. There are two sections, one on the ocean side and one on the sound side. We prefer the sound side but thats just our choice. Mosquitos can be a major irritation so be prepared,. We always pick a site away from the bushes. Lots of sand burrs in the grass.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Skeeters shouldn't be a problem that time of the year. Lots of historial site to see along with the aquariam...that doesn't look right, but it's a big building with live fish!!
Should have a great time...Happy Trails....
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Were going to be on the sound side, thank for the heads up, I attempt to fish, we have a sound side waterfront site? Is it close enough to fish from your campsite or do you have to move closer, I think were on the southernmost site on the sound side. Basically I am asking is it waterfront? Or swamp front.
Rhodenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is only a small area where you can fish on the sound side without wading. It is quite shallow. I have never fished that area. We do most of our fishing at Oregon inlet bridge or in the surf. The bridge catwalk in an excelent place to catch sheepshead and flounder.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You picked the right side to stay on. The sunsets are so great compaired to looking at a dune. The sound is very shallow and most likely the only thing you will catch at camp are crabs if it warms up. It is not a swamp. As mentioned, go up to the inlet or down to the point to fish..Happy Trails..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been to Bethpage several times. Should be quieter during spring break that summertime, when it can get pretty busy. The irv2 2011 rally is being held there in Sept.

Nicely kept place. On the Rappahanock River, boat launch and docks. I like the way they have kept the more permanent sites seperate from the transient RV sites. (the perm's are very nice, though. No slummy looking places. People take pride in their places there.)

A couple of cozy resturants in town, a short drive away. Good seafood.

There's a seafood business around the corner to get fresh, steamed crabs, but not sure about this season.

As a former chesapeke bay boater, I always like an area that has a nautical feel. Lots of docks to walk in the area.

enjoy
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodenhome
We just booked our spring break trip, going to camp hatteras on the outer banks and another four days at Bethpage Campground in Urbanna Virginia. Has anyone been to either of these spots, anyone have any experiences good or bad. I read the rvparkreviews website. Any other experiences?
I just returned from a week at Camp Hatteras. My son and I loved it. Stayed on the ocean side. We are going back the last week of July. Staff was great. Less commercialized in Rodanthe. Beach was wonderful. This was our first time camping in our new travel trailer. I hope you enjoyed it.
Nj1963 is offline   Reply With Quote