Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #1

Unless you are less than 30 feet...
Here is a copy of my letter going to the State of Florida
I reserved a 3 night stay at Big Lagoon State Park online at ReserveAmerica from March 7th for 3 nights. I specified that my coach was 43 feet long. I chose site 16 that was supposed to accommodate it and that I would be alone.
When I arrived at the site, I noticed that it was going to be very difficult to fit into it. I saw a campground hostess who was on site 19 or 20 and asked if she could help me get into the site. She recruited a friend and with much difficulty, I finally got into the site, only to find that the utilities were located at the front of the site and it was so unlevel that my levelers could not get the coach level.

We all agreed that this site was unsuitable for a coach as large as mine, so I went to the front office to notify them of such. They didn't have any other sites available, so decided to put me on a "volunteer" site as a special favor...V3. I was told it was much nicer. The campground hostess led me to the different area in her golf cart. When arriving at the new area, there was a gate that I had to get through. She was in front of me and off her cart and on the ground and was guiding me through this very narrow gate and I had only her to rely on.

I was proceeding very slowly and responding to all of her motions and guidance when suddenly she said to stop, which I instantly did. She came over to my window and said "you are right up against that post". I backed straight out and repositioned for another attempt and eventually made it into the new site..Upon arrival at the new site, we both found that this site too was too small to get into, and while outside, noticed that the hostess allowed me to put 2 three foot gouges in my new 06 Mountain Aire coach. This is more than just paint work....the aluminum has long dents from the post damage. I have not gotten an estimate yet, but I would guess the damage to be over $500.

I immediately went to the front office and received a refund and left.

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #2

UPDATE....got an estimate....$2500. Aluminum cannot be easily flattened/straightened as it has a memory..just the raw door price is $550. Now I'm extra

Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #3

About all I can say is: WHAT A BUMMER! Document everything. Personal records can be recognized in court, if that becomes necessary. I know keeping records of each phone call or conversation is tedious but it may help. Written conversations are best, even if time consuming.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 AM   #4

footdoc
Last year we camp hosted at a NF in Indiana and they used "ReserveAmerica" for their reservations. I can tell you it was nothing but headachs. Since reserveamerica handles nation wide most of their operaters really don't know anything but some basic stuff. The sites might be big but they don't know that there is a big tree right where a slide would come out,that it is not one level site but has two level making only good for a popup, that it is narrow and has a drop off on one side...there's more but you get the idea. We kept asking management why something wasn't added to ReserveAmericas info as it sure would have helped the campers and would have made life happier for us. Never did find out what the deal was about getting vital site info to the campers when they made their reservations.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:45 AM   #5

What you say was witnessed by me. Unfortunately, ReserveAmerica handles Florida's state parks..too bad. My insurance adjuster is putting 100% liability on the CG hostess as I put 100% of my trust in her guidance (a HUGE boo boo on my part ) as she watched me hit the post without warning me and caused the $1500 damage. My insurance company is going to subrogate to Florida. I learned 3 things....never trust ReserveAmerica site info...when coming to a new CG site and seeing what I saw regarding space and crowding NOT leaving right then...and never 100% trust anyone else guiding you....
Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #6

Finale....just picked up the coach....great repair job at a cost of ONLY $2808 !!! for a 30" gouge involving most of one door and 2 " of a second...pretty impressive pricing...I would sure hate to actually hit something
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I had a similiar problem at Big Lagoon, although not near a serious are yours I will never go back.

Footdoc: where did you get your repairs?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #8

Repairs were done by RV Collision Repair (appropriate name!) in Theodore, AL...they did a great job for ONLY $2808
Old 04-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #9

We've been there twice in three years and will return.

I'm sorry you had a problem at Big Lagoon. If I were in your position, I would have walked the site and made double sure I knew where obstacles were.

I'd place the blame on ReserveAmerica and the State of Florida for the problems with the sizing of the site you reserved.

I'd suggest you never go to Grayton Beach.
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #10

the obstacles were NOT on the site, but at the entrance to the "volunteer" section on my way to my 'special' site..The state of Florida has admitted to me that this park is obsolete and needs renewing for today's rig requirements..I have learned a few things from this...1...ReserveAmerica info is WAAAAAY off and 2...I'll never go into a park like this again without first walking in and sniffing it out..I have a claim pending against Florida right now...I think they will cover my $500 deductible but if my rates go up because of this, I'm on my own
Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #11

We were there 2 weeks ago and I have no idea where the "volunteer" section is. There is a group site at the back.

If they update that park too much, we probably won't go back. There are too many sites on the south side of the loops that are wayy appealing to us. Park the camper parallel to the road and no one will be able to see in your site.

I'll agree that RA is usually off on a lot of stuff and I always take what they say with a huge grain of salt. Good luck with your claim. We'll blame you when site pricing goes up.
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #12

I have had a couple of experiences with ReserveAmerica also in Kentucky. At Ky Dam Village State Park the website said my campsite was 110foot long. It was maybe 30foot. And at Audobon State Park I pulled in and the nice lady at the office told me that ReserveAmerica took $7/night for each reservation they do and KY went to great lengths to make sure all sites were measured and all the details were listed and ReserveAmerica just threw in numbers and ignored the details. So from now on I will call to see about reserving through the Park instead of ReserveAmerica or at least make sure the website is correct. I hope camping clubs and RV Sites like IRV2 can pressure ReserveAmerica into making sure the websites are correct.

5.9 Cummins Diesel
Sharpshooter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by HeatAir:
We were there 2 weeks ago and I have no idea where the "volunteer" section is. There is a group site at the back.
The so called "volunteer" section is in the very back of the park. There is also a group-camping section back there. The initial observation was that the park just was not suitable for the longer coaches/campers. I agree. I had a heck of a time getting my 38' parked even after having pre-scouted the spaces and picking the one(s) easiest to access.

Is it true that in early summer they change the name to "Big Mosquito" SP?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I recomend calling any park you wish to stay in personally (either before or after making a reservation) to confirm you are getting what you know you need. IMHO...

Brenda, of...