Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #1

Stay near Durango or Pagosa Springs, CO

For our 20th Anniversary we decided to take a trip in our, new to us, 2010 Cameo. We live about 45 min. north of Dallas, TX and plan to visit Southern Colorado. Should be a lot cheaper than that Hawaii trip we cancelled

My question is, would you stay in Durango or Pagosa Springs? I have good memories of Durango as a kid but never stayed in campgrounds there. A friend sometimes stays at Pagosa. Any suggestions or preferences for campgrounds or attractions?

Also, any suggestions for overnight stops going or coming back.

ptysonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #2

Too much experience on this site to not get some ideas. I know someone can help. Come on guys and gals, let me here you.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Love Durango. We have stayed here a couple of times

Camping in Durango, Colorado: Camp Lightner Creek RV Park & Cabins
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

Thanks Rich and Cork. Looks like a nice place.

Anyone else?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

Come on folks I know there are some
Colorado travelers out there!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

Pagosa Springs, wasn't there a song about it?LOL
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysonjr View Post
Come on folks I know there are some
Colorado travelers out there!
I have stayed at this campground near Durango several times and find it very clean with beautiful views. Its only about 5 miles or so from Durango and close to Pagosa Springs.

Alpen Rose RV Park Durango, Colorado - Home

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #8

I have fond memories of Aspen Rose RV park in Durango. We hope to return there again in the not too distant future.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #9

We've stayed at United Campgrounds Durango Colorado Campgrounds several times and enjoyed each stay, although we haven't been there in the past few years.

It's close enough to town that it makes a nice bike ride. Also, the Durango Trolley has a stop just outside the campground that takes you into town. Very convenient if you want to have cocktail hour in town and not drive ...

The Duranto-Silverton train goes right through the campground, once in the morning and again in the afternoon, which is a daily event, kinda like watching the sunset in the Florida Keys ...

Wayne
Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

It has been a couple of years but we stayed at the Pagosa Riverside Campground just outside Pagosa Springs.

My recollection is Pagosa Springs is a smaller, quieter and more laid-back town than Durango. Both are great places and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #11

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Durango/Pagosa/South Fork??

Durango is nice if you want to stay close to a sizable town with amenities/restraunts/river rafting/some fishing and it's close to Silverton which can be a day trip in your toad or you can take the narrow guage train ride up and back. Alpen Rose is a great place to stay and right across the highway from a glider field if you'd like to try that.
Could'nt tell you much about Pagosa, we usually just drive through it. We really like South Fork which is over Wolf Creek Pass East of Pagosa. It is much smaller, very quiet with just a couple restraunts and one grocery store, although there will be produce vendors on the side of the road selling locally grown produce. Lots more trout fishing around South Fork, lots of Jeep trails and scenic drives and you can still get to Silverton by driving to Lake City and then over cinamon pass (not for the faint of heart). You're also a short drive to Creede from there. We will spend at least the month of August at the South Fork Campgound which is a Good Sam Park. We've stayed before and really like it, right on the Rio Grande. Also, a lot of people really like Fun Valley RV Park which is west of town.
stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Durango! Alpen Rose. They used to offer to watch pups if you wanted to go on the train. Take a ride over to Bayfield--nice ride and a beautiful lake if you have dogs that like to swim. The ride up to Silverton, Ouray is beautiful and I liked having a nice size town to walk around in the evening.

If you do decide on Pagosa Springs (I wasn't that impressed), take a ride up through Chama NM to Antonito CO (Cumbre & Toltec RR). I actually went to Durango after staying in Chama. I couldn't stay long in Durango last trip, but my husband and I used to stay at least a week each time we went west. Have a great time wherever you decide to go.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #14

Lot more activities around Durango compared to Pagosa Springs. Kinda depends on how many, and what type of activities you are interested in. We really enjoyed our stay in Pagosa Springs here Wolf Creek Run Motor Coach River Park - Home Page
radams is offline   Reply With Quote