Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Napa isn't far from San Francisco
Only if you count drive time in your calculations. On a weekday it will take 2 hours to get from Napa to the Golden Gate bridge and on a weekend it can take 4 hours and that is each way. No fun in a car and terrible in an RV. Californians like most Americans don't believe in letting vehicles merge into traffic and nowhere is this more evident than going into SF from the north.

I would be looking into areas around the east bay and taking BART into the city for the races.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

I'm planning on doing the AC Races also , Sep 13 approx. When i'm in the SD area I park the Moho and use my bike to access the Coaster train , very bike friendly , does Bart allow bikes ? And any recommendations on an RV park I can pedal bike to Bart ? Or ?? Many thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #17

Bikes are allowed on BART. I just Googled "BART and bike rules" and it came right up. Also, we've never stayed there but, you should consider the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton. (We have lived in Pleasanton.) They have full hook-ups and the fairgrounds are not merely a parking lot. Also, there is a BART station in Pleasanton.
lmsteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #18

If you're going as far north as the coastal redwoods, I recommend Ancient Redwoods RV. South of the Bay Area, we stay at Betabel RV. Easy access to the Monterrey, etc., with the dinghy.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #19

We settled on the north SF, Petaluma KOA. We'll be there from the beginning of the cup on the 7th leaving on the 13th. We figured lay days give us the opportunity to go wine tasting.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #20

Quote:
. . . .and there is a 1 hour ferry service from nearby Vallejo
WDK450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Napa has an RV park at the fairgrounds, and another up at the edge of the hills on the southwest side ( Home). A 15 minute drive to Vallejo will get you on a passenger ferry that takes 1 hour to S.F. downtown (stops at Ferry Terminal and Pier 39 Tourist area).

If you stay in the Fairfield area, regular Amtrak commuter trains run West to Oakland with a direct platform connection to BART in Richmond. The Amtrak trains sell a $10 BART ticket for $8 aboard the trains. Amtrak also has Sr. discounts.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #22

Ok , did the Alameda Fairgrounds stay. Worked perfect , nice and close to Bart , plus Pleasanton is awesome , planning to come back. My question is , tomorrow ( Tuesday ) I want to head north over the Golden Gate in the am and find a CG and then Bart back to the city and watch AC34. So a CG within biking distance to Bart , is this possible ? Many thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49north View Post
Ok , did the Alameda Fairgrounds stay. Worked perfect , nice and close to Bart , plus Pleasanton is awesome , planning to come back. My question is , tomorrow ( Tuesday ) I want to head north over the Golden Gate in the am and find a CG and then Bart back to the city and watch AC34. So a CG within biking distance to Bart , is this possible ? Many thanks
No Bart north of the GG bridge. You have ferry service from Sausalito and Larkspur, bikes can be taken on the ferry. Ferry service is $9.50-10.00 one way to SF. Parking ( if you can find it) in Sausalito is $25 in the ferry lot. Free parking in Larkspur either in the lot or on the street. We also had some luck driving back south of the GG and parking at Crissy Field for $6 per day and riding our bikes to America's Cup park. From where do you want to view AC34? It will help with your decisions about how to get there.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #24

I was hoping to park north of the City so when the races end I don't have to deal with GG traffic. My plan was to make my way up Hwy 1 on Wednesday ( I have a small Moho ). Larkspur seems interesting , I gather there is transit to the ferry ? Thanks for ur help.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #25

I understand that Golden Gate Transit has bus service to the ferry terminal, but we had our toad, so we didn't research any other way to get there. Americascup.com has some transportation information and Golden Gate Transit has a website as well. Good luck and enjoy AC34. We sure did.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #26

I believe the closest Campground near HWY North of the Golden Gate Bridge is the KOA in Petaluma (about 40 miles N of the bridge). Marin county is too exclusive for campsites. I think that KOA has shuttle service to SF: otherwise Golden Gate Transit Buses (or their water ferry service from San Rafael) would be your public transit connection.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #27

Marin Park RV Park is very close to the Larkspur Ferry. We know nothing else about it, just remember passing it everyday. The KOA is 45-50 minutes away because of traffic.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #28

Marin Park it is then. Made it , parked , grabbed the bike and on the Ferry. Perfect. Bring on the Kiwi's.