Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Strangest place we've been-Salton Sea, Slab City & Bombay Beach

We are staying in Indio, CA for a few weeks and took a day trip to these areas. Wow, what strange places. Well worth the trip to see.

Slab city looks like some post apocalypse scene from a movie. There are dilapidated rvs strewn all over. Most of the rvs do not look like they can move and I wonder how they get water and empty their holding tanks. This is really living "off the grid".

So interesting to see the various ways people live.

Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Sounds interesting....
Which rv park are you staying at in Indio? We're gonna be there in December.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We are staying at Rancho Cassblanco. We are renting from someone who owns the spot. We will be checking out Dec. 13. Today spent the day in Joshua Tree NP. Great day, a must see park.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know the BuckShot allows water fill up from their outside spigot. There is a rest area about 15miles south with water and dump. I wouldn't ask anybody what they actually do.

Buckshot Deli & Diner - Niland, CA | Yelp

I am surprised you didn't mention Salvation Mountain. It is a must see stop if in the area.

Sonny Bono NWR is about 10 miles further south. It is a nice visit for birders. If it hasn't rained in a while and you don't mind going a little off the dirt road the staff can give you a map to the currently active mudpots. Be sure to heed any precautions they may offer.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

Salvation Mtn. is at the Slabs. I heard there's a move to close down Slab City because of its deteriorating condition. I really feel sorry for children who are raised there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
It is a different world for sure. Look for Burroughing owls in the agriculture areas along the edge of the road around the sea. in the afternoon try the Sonny Bono wildlife preserve. Huge groups of Snow geese, Cranes, Ibis flying in...and don't forget to look for big horn sheep on the tops of the canyons. Whitewater is especially a nice green area for the rams. Taquitz canyon also a nice marble canyon to walk thru as you are passing Palm Springs.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, Salvation mtn is right before you get to Slab City. Just adds to the strangeness of the area.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Slab City has the Reputation...

...of being The Last (Rent) Free Place on Earth. Its full-time residents are those who a) WANT to live off-the-grid/under-the-radar and b) have found themselves there out of necessity/circumstance. They are Good People and contribute to their community probably more than some of us here do. (That is NOT to cast aspersions on the denizens of iRV2... just an observation.)

#Slab City Website The Slabs have their own website that is geared toward us tourists. I don't know of anyone here who would do this, but I'm going to emphasize it anyway: These residents are NOT creatures in a zoo or curiosities! They are PEOPLE! Arrive near the weekend and take in the music and talent at The Range on Saturday night. The Range is a solar-/generator-powered bar/dance floor/venue constructed from the ground up by Builder Bill. Attending will give anyone the opportunity to TALK to the people who live there. Get to know them; appreciate them. Discover that they have the same hopes/fears/dreams as the rest of us.

My apologies if I sound "preachy." On second thought, no... I'm not sorry. It just seemed as if this thread was about to descend into something of The Slabs becoming a side-show attraction. I wanted to head THAT BS off at the pass!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
I know the BuckShot allows water fill up from their outside spigot. There is a rest area about 15miles south with water and dump. I wouldn't ask anybody what they actually do.
Buckshot Deli & Diner - Niland, CA | Yelp
Rocky Larson
I've read that CA will be closing that rest area next year in preparation for shutting down Slab City in the near future.....(however that may be only a rumor).
I hope so because "the slabs" is, IMO, a fascinating place!
See: slab city
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
We are staying in Indio, CA for a few weeks and took a day trip to these areas. Wow, what strange places. Well worth the trip to see.

Slab city looks like some post apocalypse scene from a movie. There are dilapidated rvs strewn all over. Most of the rvs do not look like they can move and I wonder how they get water and empty their holding tanks. This is really living "off the grid".

So interesting to see the various ways people live.

Stuart
Here's a nice article on Slab City in the latest DesertUSA newsletter:

Slab City, Part 3 of a Road Trip from the Salton Sea to Salvation Mountain and Slab City -
Old 12-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #11

About 10 years ago, we stayed at the Salton Sea State Recreation Area and did a gawking drive-through of The Slabs, in addition to actually putting our bodies in the Salton Sea. And survived to tell the tale.

Here's my take on it: DEBCAR Story
Old 12-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #12

There are many utube videos about Slab city.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote