Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Strategy for visiting large metro area?

There are a lot of urban attractions that I want to see, however I don't want to drive a large rig in a dense area.

What do you do when you visit a large busy city?

Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Park the moho and unhook the toad. If you're not yet pulling your dinghy, you may want to rent a car. Weekend rates are the cheapest.

Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As okmonkey says, it's usually best to find a location 10 miles or so outside of town and use the toad to get around. Renting is another option but I sure wouldn't want to do it all the time.

Another option which may be available in some locations is an RV park actually located within the city. I know you said you didn't want to be driving in a dense area but in case you change your mind, some places (like New Orleans) have parks located within walking distance of many attractions and public transportation. Washington DC is similar with Cherry Hill Park being a few miles from the Mall but having a metro station actually located within the park.

Good luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
If I am going to run the coach right into town I always map the town with Google Earth as to not park myself into a corner that I can't get out of. Now keep in mind I always have a 24ft trailer behind a 40ft coach which is longer than most tractor trailers. With Google you can see how big the parking lots are, how big the turn in's are, etc,, I have not had a problem when I do my "homework"

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
We camped just west of Boston city and rode the train to down town. There was a station very close to the CG.

We felt comfortable with public transportation there. Could be the same in other metro area??

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
We normally find a nice secure park near whatever city we wish to visit. As it would cost somewhere in the area of 2K to outfit our towable car, we currently rent. For these activities we prefer Enterprise as they will pick us up with the car, and drop us off after the return. Because we are not out for months at a time, the rental strategy works best for us right now. If we were going to be gone for extended periods, or in one place for a long time, towing would probably be our best option.
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #7

You have a short rig. Driving in town is not a problem. Parking is.
A toad or a rental.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
There are a lot of urban attractions that I want to see, however I don't want to drive a large rig in a dense area.

What do you do when you visit a large busy city?

It really depends on what urban area and what your needs are. When visiting New Orleans, for example, we stay in the city and use cabs and trolleys to go where we want. Other cities, like Atlanta, have no suitable (in our opinion) places to stay and no safe public transport so we stay further away and use the towd. Cities like New York almost require using public transport.

Our philosophy basically is that safety and convenience trumps all other considerations. Trying to drive and park a large vehicle in urban areas is, IMO, neither convenient or safe.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
I visited DC in August. I spent 4 days photographing the National Zoo. I kept the motorhome in the Greenbelt Park. I then drove to the Greenbelt Metro Station, parked in the parking tower and rode the Metro train into the city. It was pretty convenient. I'll do it the same way this next summer when I start photographing the Smithsonian Museums.

While visiting Melbourne FL to photograph and video record the nesting Great Blue herons and their chicks at the Viera wetlands I left the motorhome in Wickham Park. I then drove the car to the wetlands.

So, I guess it just depends where you are at. In any event I wouldn't ever want to be driving the motorhome around any city any more than I absolutely had to. That's just way to much hassle for me. I would have to hook everything up in the evening, level it again it, etc.
Check out my photos and videos at:
grafxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #10

We drove our 23 foot C anywhere. It is a box truck in a different wrapper. The only issue was parking. After that rig, toad

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote