Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #127

Not going, but just read this thread. Have fun all!

I found great straps at RRR Tool Solutions, clipped ends, built in soft loop, and heavy duty ratchets at a good price. Also check out some of thier unique motorcycle tools.

Have fun, wish I could go.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #128

Glencoe with about 10 total rigs. We were able to make our reservation before 2014 ended. This will probably be my last Sturgis Run but will go there when the run is not going on. Only exception would be if my son wants to go down the road. At Glencoe we party at night with the campground or take the shuttle accross the street to FTS. They now pull over bikes leaving FTS and going accross the street to Glencoe.

It is beautiful country all thru the Black Hills.

Here is some good advice; keep your major partying within your campground. Outside and around town partying is where the trouble can be found.

Everybody be safe and have a great trip!!!!!

Rubber side down
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #129

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I get it. My wife, son, daughter and their spouses all ride and are coming. All are riders.We are staying in Custer this year just to stay away from the huge crowds and will enjoy Black Hills riding and Wyoming. I love the vendors and scenery, but usually do that during the day time. Parking at FTS is always a hassle in the field so that is usually a one night visit and always have a blast. That said we watch the alcohol for the "right reasons" and also because of the surveillance. That and stop signs will get you pulled over. I hope this isn't our last trip, I love this part of the country.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #130

Agreed...

We aren't much into the party scene... We like to have fun, but in moderation.. We will go into Sturgis during the day.. maybe one or two nights.. the rest of the time, we're really looking forward to the surrounding area..

We went to Custer a couple years ago with the kids.. we talked about going back without the kids so we could do what we wanted to do.. nothing wrong with being there with the kids.. but lets face it.. our interests and attention spans are a tad bit different..

So.. we are really looking forward to "adult" time in that area.. it really is beautiful.. and I can't wait to see it via the bike..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #131

Strapping in the bike

I'm looking for idea's/suggestions on ways to tie down the bike...

I'm most interested in those that use ratcheting straps.. I have the Kendon Dual Bike trailer..

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased these Chrome Tie-Down Brackets-93500006 | Lifts, Stands & Tie-Downs* | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store, as I am thinking of getting them for my bike..

I currently use these 18 in. Soft Hook-94705-10 | Lifts, Stands & Tie-Downs* | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store...

It was suggested I stay off the handlebars, so I currently loop them around the frame and crash-bar... I intended to have pictures, but didn't have the time to take them
Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

I'm most interested in those that use ratcheting straps.. I have the Kendon Dual Bike trailer..

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased these Chrome Tie-Down Brackets-93500006 | Lifts, Stands & Tie-Downs* | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store, as I am thinking of getting them for my bike..

I currently use these 18 in. Soft Hook-94705-10 | Lifts, Stands & Tie-Downs* | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store...

It was suggested I stay off the handlebars, so I currently loop them around the frame and crash-bar... I intended to have pictures, but didn't have the time to take them
I just had a Biker Bar installed in the new trailer. That will only be used when one bike is in the trailer. For two bikes I am using the removable wheel chocks by Pingle. No straps needed for the Biker Bar. For the Pingle yes straps will be used. The soft tie downs are used by me when I do tie down. I always tie down around the frame up front. Never use the handle bars to tie down. You could use the crash bars but I like to get a higher point then that. I also always tie down the back end just for my only safe mind....lol use good heavy duty tie downs and don't tighten the front down too much as you need some play in the shocks or you will blow the seal. Always check on the bike at every stop and pull on the straps....They do come loose and you don't want your bike falling over

Good luck and good riding in Sturgis
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I use the Condor,

Condor Pit Stop / Trailer Stop Motorcycle Wheel Chock

If you are near a Harley store, I would ask them for 4-6 ratchet straps that the bikes get shipped with. You can run them around the front axle (1 on each side) with a rag between the strap and axle so you don't scratch things. This allows the bike to use it's suspension. On the rear, depending on your bike, you can use the rear wheel and run your strap through the wheel and back to the same side on both sides of the bike. This keeps is from going sideways.

I have put thousands of miles on my bike in the trailer and never have had an issue with this set up. I have tried many others until I discovered this set up.

I usually put my bike in the nose across the trailer so I wedge the condor against the wall so it doesn't slide, but when I don't I just put a 'D' ring in the 'e' track in front of the condor and behind so it doesn't move one direction or the other.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
If you are near a Harley store, I would ask them for 4-6 ratchet straps that the bikes get shipped with. You can run them around the front axle (1 on each side) with a rag between the strap and axle so you don't scratch things. This allows the bike to use it's suspension. On the rear, depending on your bike, you can use the rear wheel and run your strap through the wheel and back to the same side on both sides of the bike. This keeps is from going sideways.
That sounds interesting... I'd really like to see a picture of what you're talking about..

Unfortunately, with my current trailer, I'm stuck with their set up.. which is fine.. I'm just looking for new ways of strapping it in once the bike is in the "chock"...
Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #135

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That sounds interesting... I'd really like to see a picture of what you're talking about..

Unfortunately, with my current trailer, I'm stuck with their set up.. which is fine.. I'm just looking for new ways of strapping it in once the bike is in the "chock"...
I will look but I probably do not have any pictures. Once it is in wheel chock if you can either get some ratchet straps from the dealer that new bikes come crated with, they will show you what I am talking about or buy some short quality straps and cut them to length you need. The GM at one of our area dealers showed me. I put the strap around the front axle between the fork and the tire and try and get as close to the chock as possible. The Condor actually will hold the bike unbelievable steady, but the straps are mainly to keep the bike from moving side to side or front and back. All the issues I have seen in trailering is the bike either moved from front to back or more commonly from one side to the other and that started the problem.

The rear I couldn't get from the frame to the 'D' ring without rubbing on bottom of my saddle bag, so I experimented and found wrapping the ratchet strap around the wheel on the rear eliminated hitting on the saddle bag and secured the bike from moving side to side.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #136

Quote:

I just got these but haven't used them yet. They mount under the turn signals on my Street Glide. I was using nylon loops around the frame/crash bars then ratchet straps but I see the paint is going to look bad in the future.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/503-963
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
couple thoughts, from someone who has put over 150,000 miles towing bikes around.
Always put the bikes forward in the trailer.
The Kendan bounces a lot, so be sure to have both front and rear strapped down.
the Pingel Wheel chocks work well, IF you make sure and use the bolt in the front. Lots of people just rely on the slide locks, and if you get a loose strap, the whole thing will come loose eventually...guaranteed.
Try and put the straps on symetrically, i.e. have both front straps pulling at the same place and same with rear.
If there is any place where the strap material will contact paint, it WILL rub the paint dull.
You can use the handle bars if its the best you've got, just be sure to strap near the triple trees and be prepared to replace bushings more often than you might otherwise. I've heard stories about seal problems, but never seen it or talked to anyone it has actually happened to.
If you end up with a rachet any where near the paint, tie a rag around the ratchet so if it bounces around, it won't ding the paint.
As mentioned, check the straps frequently. I normally have to tighten mine at least twice after the original strapping, sometimes more.
In general, I try and get the front straps as high as I can. Not so much for the rears. Those can be down low as what you're really trying to do is keep the wheel from sliding side to side.
If you're towing with an exposed trailer like the kenden, you will get dust and grit all over the bike. Besides just the surface dirt, it gets in your linkages, cables, pedal pivots etc etc. You can flush it out with soap and water, and then WD 40.

I try and be as careful as I can, but my roadglide has been on its side a couple times, once because of a broken wheel chock and once because of a broken rachet strap. Just happens.

Have fun
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #138

Ok people.. not sure if you've looked at a calendar lately... but we are less than 20 days before we push off on Friday, July 31st..

We just got back from a shake down trip for my buddy who just bought a new bumper-pull toy hauler... We went to Sunny Brook RV Resort in South Haven, MI... Wow.. is that a nice place..

Anyway... Just thought I'd bump this up to the top... We're almost there !?!??!

Russtj60 - Are you still coming into Milwaukee to do bike nite on Thursday, July 30th at the HD Museum ?? If so, what can I do to help ???
Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #139

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Eric -

I am working on the trip planner now. I am looking at leaving on Monday, so I probably won't make it to Milwaukee on Thursday night. My first paid nite in Custer is a week from Saturday. Just spent the day loading the Motorhome, changing oil, etc. We are psyched. We are taking five bikes. My wife, daughter, her husband and my son all ride. It will be a blast.I wonder if anyone else is staying in Custer Gulch?
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Eric -

I am working on the trip planner now. I am looking at leaving on Monday, so I probably won't make it to Milwaukee on Thursday night. My first paid nite in Custer is a week from Saturday. Just spent the day loading the Motorhome, changing oil, etc. We are psyched. We are taking five bikes. My wife, daughter, her husband and my son all ride. It will be a blast.I wonder if anyone else is staying in Custer Gulch?
Are you leaving Monday, July 27th ?

We have friends coming up to join us from Cincinnati, they will arrive Thursday afternoon, July 30th. We are taking them to the Bike Nite at the museum that night.. and then while we are at work on the 31st, they're going to do a plant/museum tour.. We are HOPING to leave Friday after work on the 31st... If we can be on the road by 5:00, we should be able to make it to Albert Lea, MN by midnight (about 5 hours of driving, plus stops)...

I contacted the HD Dealership in Albert Lea.. they're right off I-90, and asked if we could boondock there.. told them we'd arrive late and leave early.. they were ok with it..

So, if we can make Albert Lea Friday night.. it leaves a 7 1/2 hour drive (plus stops) to Bulldog Creek Campground... We should arrive by 5:00pm on Saturday, August 1st...

I hope in your plans.. you can make it on Thursday night.. sure would be fun...